PDA

View Full Version : A Week in Death Valley

chomp
03-27-2006, 10:16
Hey All -

Well, I finished up my photos from Death Valley this weekend. Two weeks ago, VSA and I flew out to Vegas with the intention of spending a week in the southern desert canyons of Utah. However, several storms and lots of snow made that plan a little infeasible. So, instead, we planned on traveling all around in an attempt to avoid the bad weather. Our first planned stop was Death Valley, but instead of staying for a couple of days and moving on, we fell in love and spent a whole week there.

Death Valley is amazing - its the largest National Park south of Alaska; there is just so much to do and so much varied terrain. It is the forth lowest point in the world, Badwater, at -282. However, just four miles away is Telescope Peak at 11,049. Make no mistake - Death Valley is everything you think it is, but it is also so much more than that. We easily spent a week there, and could have spent another week if we have a 4WD car. If you wanted to backpack (you have to carry all of you water since there is almost no water), you could spend a month.

The highlights? Tons of canyon hiking. Considering my only experience with this was The Narrows in Zion, I was blown away. We did hike 2 peaks. The trailhead to Telescope Peak was to rugged for our rental, but we did bag Wildrose peak at 9000+ and right next door. Also, we hiked the 5,678 Ubehebe Peak which towers over 2000 feet about a dry lake called "The Racetrack". We hiked in 2 sand dunes, one of which had a 3500 peak. We hiked around 1 volcanic crater. And a we got a tour of a castle in the middle of the desert. Oh yea, we hit Zion and Bryce for 1 day just to see them covered with snow. Good times. Here are the photos. The full journal will be on the way:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-deathvalley

chomp

neo
03-27-2006, 10:53
Hey All -

Well, I finished up my photos from Death Valley this weekend. Two weeks ago, VSA and I flew out to Vegas with the intention of spending a week in the southern desert canyons of Utah. However, several storms and lots of snow made that plan a little infeasible. So, instead, we planned on traveling all around in an attempt to avoid the bad weather. Our first planned stop was Death Valley, but instead of staying for a couple of days and moving on, we fell in love and spent a whole week there.

Death Valley is amazing - its the largest National Park south of Alaska; there is just so much to do and so much varied terrain. It is the forth lowest point in the world, Badwater, at -282. However, just four miles away is Telescope Peak at 11,049. Make no mistake - Death Valley is everything you think it is, but it is also so much more than that. We easily spent a week there, and could have spent another week if we have a 4WD car. If you wanted to backpack (you have to carry all of you water since there is almost no water), you could spend a month.

The highlights? Tons of canyon hiking. Considering my only experience with this was The Narrows in Zion, I was blown away. We did hike 2 peaks. The trailhead to Telescope Peak was to rugged for our rental, but we did bag Wildrose peak at 9000+ and right next door. Also, we hiked the 5,678 Ubehebe Peak which towers over 2000 feet about a dry lake called "The Racetrack". We hiked in 2 sand dunes, one of which had a 3500 peak. We hiked around 1 volcanic crater. And a we got a tour of a castle in the middle of the desert. Oh yea, we hit Zion and Bryce for 1 day just to see them covered with snow. Good times. Here are the photos. The full journal will be on the way:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-deathvalley

chomp

great pictures.thanks a lot for sharing them:cool: neo

Cookerhiker
03-27-2006, 13:13
Brings back memories. I've been to Death Valley 3-4 times. When I worked, I occationally had business trips to Las Vegas during which I always took extra time for trips to Death Valley, Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon.

My first trip to Death Valley March '91 was also the first night of my Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent. A howling desert sandstorm that night snapped the front pole in 2 pieces. Campmoor exchanged the tent when I returned and I'm still using that tent.

I didn't view all your photos. Did you make it to Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refugee? It's outside Death Valley NP but not far and features a number of warm springs with water gushing up similar to what you see in Florida. Also there's a larger lake there. Wonderful locale for birdwatching.

D'Artagnan
03-27-2006, 15:40
Another great photo album. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. Looks like a fun escape.