PDA

View Full Version : A couple equiptment questions

bzmnboy
03-27-2006, 15:07
Well I have been researching equiptment for a while now and even though most of my questions have been answered there are a few more that I couldn't find on the forum. Keep in mind that although I am buying gear this year, I am planning a thru-hike in the future so anything I buy now has to last and be okay to take on the long haul. Also for the record for now I have budgeted about $400 for gear, but I would like to spend less if possible.

1. Okay first question is about packs, so far I have put on two packs the Kelty Flight, and the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, both packs were pretty comfortable, but I have heard the Osprey Aether 60 is worth a shot. If I cant find an Aether 60 around should I order one to try, or should I just choose one of the packs I like?

2. I know a lot of thru-hikers use hammocks and tarp tents, but I think I would be more comfortable with a small 1 person tent. I have been looking for an affordable light one and this is what I found. Does anybody have experience with this?
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075&rid=&indexId=cat20103&navAction=push&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20103&id=0031780

3. Okay, last question, I am trying to estimate my pack weight, I know I am getting a tent that is less then 4 pounds, sleeping bag is around 2 pouns, the pack will be around 3, and the sleeping pad will be between 1 and 2. This is 11 pounds, is is still probable to keep the total pack weight under 25 pounds? All thats left is clothes, food and little things, how much weight can that take?

Thanks,
Geoffrey

Just Jeff
03-27-2006, 15:17
Can't comment on the first two, but with the right choices you can keep your total weight under 25 lbs. Might be a bit tough, but you can do it, and it'll probably be pretty easy to keep it under 30.

Most people say that it's best to spend the most money can afford on a quality pack, bag and shelter. If you spend a bit more on your tent, for example, you can knock off two pounds from your tent. Might be worth it to you, or might not. HYOH.

Sly
03-27-2006, 15:21
You're in Bozeman?

You should try to get in contact with Ryan Jordan at Backpackinglight.com to drop your weight even further.

On-Site Retail Sales

BackpackingLight.com invites walk-in retail sales traffic to its Bozeman warehouse after October 1, 2004. Normal retail hours are between 2 pm and 4 pm Tuesday-Thursdays. To schedule a retail appointment outside of these times, please contact us using one of the methods above. Our retail address is:

Backpacking Light
507 Bond Street, Unit B
Bozeman, MT 59715

roamin'
03-27-2006, 15:56
If you're concerned about weight, the 2 person XPG tent from Cabela's is a bit heavy. But still not too bad.
ModelMinimum
WeightOverall
Weight
XPG Ultralight-24 lbs. 9 oz.5 lbs. 6 oz

I have the XPG solo from Cabela's a and have used it a few times on weekend solo backpacking trips. I was rained on pretty good one night and woke up dry as a bone. And I got alot of wind another time and slept like a baby. I paid $109 shipped for it which is still what it's at. Best bang for the buck imo.

Model
Minimum
WeightOverall
Weight
XPG Ultralight-13 lbs. 7 oz.4 lbs. 1 oz

I am using this tent when I section hike the A.T. in GA in April.

roamin'
03-27-2006, 16:00
If you're concerned about weight, the 2 person XPG tent from Cabela's is a bit heavy. But still not too bad.

XPG Ultralight-2 Model Minimum 4 lbs. 9 oz. - WeightOverall 5 lbs. 6 oz

I have the XPG solo from Cabela's a and have used it a few times on weekend solo backpacking trips. I was rained on pretty good one night and woke up dry as a bone. And I got alot of wind another time and slept like a baby. I paid $109 shipped for it which is still what it's at. Best bang for the buck imo.

XPG Ultralight-1 Minimum 3 lbs. 7 oz. - WeightOverall 4 lbs. 1 oz

I am using this tent when I section hike the A.T. in GA in April.

Sorry, The first post didn't read as I thought it would.

SGTdirtman
03-27-2006, 16:07
Dome tents are nice but you could save a couple pounds using a solo bivy style tent like the eureka spitfire, kelty crestone 1, eureka solitare, all of which are cheaper and under 3 pounds total (also pack smaller).

I dont see a problem keeping your pack weight at 25 pounds I managed to get my pack weight down to 31 pounds and im still using a heavy external frame alice pack and have a 5 day food supply, plus my sleeping bag weighs about a pound more than yours.

rambunny
03-28-2006, 02:27
Hey ditch the tent get some Tyveck (for a ground cloth) See if just the rainfly will work-you say Dome tent?a Summer Moon S.D. 97 Rainfly and 1 pole-and creative thinking has allowed me a very comfortable roomy shelter at 1 1/2 lbs. for 7000 miles. If i were you i'd get a backpack that weighed more in it's cloth weight(sturdy) and look into lessing weight elsewhere-But hike your own.....