PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my vehicle.

casscntyman
03-27-2006, 18:29
I'm not sure what to do with my truck. I am going to store all my furniture etc here in Missouri and will have no job to return to so I plan on just playing it by ear after the hike. Since I will be driving to Georgia and then busing back to my truck are there parking areas you can pay monthly etc.. Any ideas are much appreciated. CASSCNTYMAN

Lone Wolf
03-27-2006, 18:31
You may park your truck at Amicalola State Park for $3 for up to 6 months.

Tin Man
03-27-2006, 21:41

So, if you are late by one day does someone come out and slap a ticket on your truck? Proptionate to the 6 month fee that would be about $0.017 per day. :-?

TwoForty
03-28-2006, 00:07
There are some things to thing about when having a car sit out in the elements for a while. I drive a POS so I don't care, but gas can go bad, oil seals can start to leak, brakes rust and sieze up, it is rough on your paint, the battery will likely die, tires can get flat spots or go out of round. If you can, leave it with a family member and have them drive it a little bit every week.

casscntyman
03-28-2006, 02:16
Thanks for the info. I imagine I'll just park it for the few bucks. Talk with a local mechanic maybe to check on it and maybe start it up once in awhile.

neo
03-28-2006, 06:09

i saw a few old clunkers parked at amicola that had been parked so long that plants were growing on them lol,no kidding:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
03-28-2006, 08:01
So, if you are late by one day does someone come out and slap a ticket on your truck? Proptionate to the 6 month fee that would be about $0.017 per day. :-?
A smartass in every crowd.:)

MacGyver2005
03-28-2006, 11:01
If you are going to leave it sit for that length of time you will want to take some precautions. First, only leave about 5 gallons of gas in the tank. Buy a container of gas saver and add a decent amount to your tank. Disconnect your battery. Throw moth balls or some form of "anti-moth" stuff in the car. This is not so much to deter moths, but for mice.

The tricky part is getting the car moving when you get back to it. You should not start the car without changing the oil on it after it has sat that long. Since it is a truck I suggest that you change the oil on it where you leave it, as it's pretty easy to crawl under a truck. Just have the oil change supplies in the truck for when you return. You also might face a dead battery, so be prepared for that. Otherwise you should be pretty well set, other than the six months of weather the vehicle will see without moving.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Tin Man
03-28-2006, 19:09
A smartass in every crowd.:)

Sorry Lone Wolf, I just couldn't let that one go. :)

betic4lyf
03-28-2006, 23:15
i'll take it. i wish i had a car:D

Bravo
08-30-2006, 23:40
Does anyone know how safe it is to leave a car there. I'm driving to GA too and my car isn't that nice so I don't care about weather but I still want it to be there when I get back. If it's safe I'll try to squeeeeeeeze that $3 into my AT budget.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2006, 03:35
It's very safe.

fiddlehead
08-31-2006, 05:42
I park my car for 8 months every year as i live in thailand 8 months and the US for 4. I've learned to disconnect the battery and put some steel wool or fine mesh wire over or in the exhaust pipe to keep mice from going in there and making a nest in my muffler. Besides that, i don't do anything different. I haven't had problems starting it since i started disconnecting the battery and my tires seem to be fine. but then, i drive a foreign car. (Subaru) so, maybe it depends on the car???

Tim Rich
08-31-2006, 13:13
No need to change the oil for sitting for six months, just make sure it's topped off before you crank it. A change soon thereafter would be smart. If you have the mechanical ability, it's best to turn over the car 15 seconds or more before it cranks to help lube it. You can do that on older cars by disconnecting the coil wire to the distributor, and on electronic ignitions follow the wire to the battery. If you have a pair of jumper cables in your car and you'll likely have a stranger willing to help. Do buy some sta-bil gas treatment, put it in when you fill up according to the directions so that it gets throughout your fuel system. I would recommend having your tank as full as possible to prevent condensation (and to help out any other hikers who make be down on their luck :D ). Unless you have a slow leak in your tires, they should be fine, just make sure they're properly inflated before you leave. If you're concerned about the finish on your car, wax it before you leave it - if not, make it look dirty and unattractive.

I'd spend another $10 and have a container of brake fluid, power steering fluid and transmission fluid in my trunk to top off if necessary. Generally, you want the car warmed up before you check the transmission fluid level, but if there's something obvious (won't go into reverse, shifts hard) you might want to add some. You may hear some initial knocks and noises from the engine before it picks up the oil, but if they go away after about 5 - 10 seconds you should be good to go.

Take Care,

Tim

MacGyver2005
09-01-2006, 08:45
No need to change the oil for sitting for six months, just make sure it's topped off before you crank it. A change soon thereafter would be smart. If you have the mechanical ability, it's best to turn over the car 15 seconds or more before it cranks to help lube it. You can do that on older cars by disconnecting the coil wire to the distributor, and on electronic ignitions follow the wire to the battery. If you have a pair of jumper cables in your car and you'll likely have a stranger willing to help. Do buy some sta-bil gas treatment, put it in when you fill up according to the directions so that it gets throughout your fuel system. I would recommend having your tank as full as possible to prevent condensation (and to help out any other hikers who make be down on their luck :D ). Unless you have a slow leak in your tires, they should be fine, just make sure they're properly inflated before you leave. If you're concerned about the finish on your car, wax it before you leave it - if not, make it look dirty and unattractive.

I'd spend another $10 and have a container of brake fluid, power steering fluid and transmission fluid in my trunk to top off if necessary. Generally, you want the car warmed up before you check the transmission fluid level, but if there's something obvious (won't go into reverse, shifts hard) you might want to add some. You may hear some initial knocks and noises from the engine before it picks up the oil, but if they go away after about 5 - 10 seconds you should be good to go.

Take Care,

Tim

I disagree. An oil change will be prudent to the longevity of the engine. Oil breaks down over time, and will not have the lubricating properties it should have after sitting for six months. The engine will not "die" from running old oil; but it will have a long lasting affect that will come back on you down the road when the engine is warn prematurely. You could take it to the next level, even, and prime the engine properly prior to starting it. However, that is not easily accomplished in the suggested situation.

As for gas in the tank, there is no need for a full tank. Condensation will not form any differently; however it is easier to clear five gallons of old gas than it is to run through fifteen. Also, the gas stabilizer will be more effective on a smaller amount of gasoline.

It would be a good idea to disconnect the battery, as that way it will be less prone to drain over the long time. Also, a can of fix-a-flat may be a good addition to the "just in case" pile. For the transmission fluid, it is best to check it warm, but most dipsticks have a "cold" hatch as well. It would be wise to check the fluid before starting the car, even if it is not as accurate. Some cars have a different procedure for checking the proper transmission fluid level, so consult the owners manual to make sure that you are checking the hot fluid in the correct manner. The brakes are also a good concern: do not go far without making sure that the brakes have not seized. That could be disasterous.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

general
09-01-2006, 18:40
sell that baby. you may need the money.