PDA

View Full Version : Sil nylon bags vs Garbage bags vs double bagging

hikerjohnd
03-27-2006, 23:04
OK - I have been dedicated to using a trash bag to line each stuff sack in an effort to keep stuff dry. Now just about all of my stuff sacks are silnylon and I believe waterproof enough. So I am wondering about the logic of using flimsy trash bags (which always tear at some point on the trip) when I could use a second bag on items like a down sleeping bag. So - any thoughts on the abandonment of trash bag liners?

Old Spice
03-27-2006, 23:10
The only thing I would use a liner on is my sleeping bag. And even here I probably wouldn't. If you have a good pack cover and are careful you don't have much to worry about. Just be careful on fords. Or you could just ditch stuff sacks altogether and use heavier plastic shopping bags.

Footslogger
03-27-2006, 23:43
In my experience, lining each stuff sack with plastic is overkill. I did my thru in 2003, which was one of the wettest years on record. I used a plastic trash compacter bag as a liner for my backpack and silnylon stuff sacks. I hiked day after day in dowpouring rain and never had a single thing get wet inside my pack.

I can only speak from experience.

'Slogger

Tinker
03-28-2006, 00:12
I put one in the bottom of my pack, stuff my sleeping bag and "night clothing (some of which is also "town clothing") into that bag, squeeze out the air, twist the top and tuck the twisted end between the bag itself and the pack fabric. On top of that, I have my "must keep dry" daytime warm-up clothing (including balaclava and gloves in cool weather). These are the only two bags I use anymore, except for a couple of small silnylon ditty bags which hold my first aid kit, repair kit, and t.p./maps, compass, lighters, etc. The ditty bags are just to keep the plastic bags from tearing when compressed. My food is always put in an old sleeping bag stuff sack, and my raingear sits on top of everything else in easy reach. I rarely use stuff sacks any more.

rambunny
03-28-2006, 02:06
Good thoughts-During the 21 days straight of rain in the mid-atlantics during 2000 i found putting a heavy duty trash bag in 1st then using gallon ziplock bags worked well -i found tho that i should have protected better my data book ,maps ect better-remember to dry them out too when you have sun or town. You will be pulling them out in the rain.Also i was babtized twice on the crossing of Big Wilson that year and everything was fine.

River Runner
03-28-2006, 04:57
I pretty much agree trash bags tear so easily - they aren't very durable. Just be sure to seam seal the silnylon stuff sacks and leave enough space in them to knot or twist and fold them. I use the Go-lite Paddler's stow sacks and they work great since they have an extension collar that is knotted and tucked inside the drawcord. If you don't seal the opening of the stuff sack some way, being waterproof wouldn't help much since water can pour in the ends.

Squeaky 2
03-28-2006, 04:59
i remember i had to double bag once. one for her head and one for mine incase hers broke:p :banana

neo
03-28-2006, 06:05
this is what i use,made by dancing light gear to line my pack with:cool: neo

http://trailquest.net/dlgcss.html

i use the xxlarge wt.2.5oz cost 20.00 bucks

Peaks
03-28-2006, 08:36
I've found sil nylon stuff sacks to be waterproof enough. Never used a liner with one, nor felt that I needed one.

When I've been out for several days of wet weather, I find that everything in my pack gets at least damp, even thought I'm using a pack cover. I think that my gear gets a little damper or wetter everytime I open the pack to put something in, or take something out, or I put something wet into the pack.

Whistler
03-28-2006, 22:43
I can't say I'm really convinced either way. Both sil-liners and trash bag liners have worked to my expectations for both waterproofness and durability. But yes, I use one form of bag liner or the other, and unlined silnylon stuff sacks inside.
-Mark