PDA

View Full Version : This weekend

brancher
03-28-2006, 06:49
Leaving Springer this weekend. Never hiked out of Springer before. Questions:

1. Expected weather? I can't seem to put my finger on this one.
2. Parking - best place to leave my car?
3. Do I need my filter, or is the Aqua Mira good enough?
4. Water sources? Frequent or not?
5. Crowds? Leaving Sunday, will walk thru week and next weekend to Standing Indian.
6. Anything else?

Thanks

Lone Wolf
03-28-2006, 08:10
1. Low 70s, 30% chance of rain.
2. Park at the Amicalola visitors center.
3. Don't need a filter OR Aqua Mira. Just drink.
4. Plenty of water sources.
5. There will be a s**tload of people heading north. Very crowded.
6.Go somewhere else. The Georgia AT is over-used.

Jaybird
03-28-2006, 09:08
Leaving Springer this weekend. Never hiked out of Springer before. Questions:1. Expected weather? I can't seem to put my finger on this one.2. Parking - best place to leave my car?
3. Do I need my filter, or is the Aqua Mira good enough?
4. Water sources? Frequent or not?
5. Crowds? Leaving Sunday, will walk thru week and next weekend to Standing Indian.6. Anything else?Thanks

Yea...what WOLF said....& say "HELLO" to my bud, "Model T" who starts his 4th THRU-HIKE April 1st.

Good luck w/ yer hike!

brancher
03-28-2006, 09:45
5. There will be a s**tload of people heading north. Very crowded.
6.Go somewhere else. The Georgia AT is over-used.

Thanks. I know it's gonna be crowded, but I need to knock out GA and this is my window. Hopefully I can walk fast enough to stay away from the crowds. Also, I'm hoping the weekdays will be less crowded.

Thx all. Later.

brancher
03-28-2006, 09:47
Yea...what WOLF said....& say "HELLO" to my bud, "Model T" who starts his 4th THRU-HIKE April 1st.

Good luck w/ yer hike!

4th Thru-hike???? .....where do these folks find the time???

Speer Carrier
03-28-2006, 10:07
Lone Wolf is right that there are plenty of water sources, but be careful with his advice on not needing to filter water. I'll admit that I don't always filter water, but I can also drink water in Mexico with no ill effects. But be advised. Both the Forest service, and the GATC have tested every water source in Georgia, and have found at least traces of every little critter that usually causes problems. If you think you'd be a candidate for illness, you might want to take the few extra minutes to filter, and be safe.

Speer Carrier

gr8fulyankee
03-28-2006, 17:07
weather - http://www.wunderground.com/US/GA/Suches.html
parking - depends on how you are getting back, you might want to contact hiker hostel about a shuttle.
water - plenty
crowds - well if you poison the water there will be fewer of them.

brancher
03-28-2006, 17:21
weather - http://www.wunderground.com/US/GA/Suches.html
parking - depends on how you are getting back, you might want to contact hiker hostel about a shuttle.
water - plenty
crowds - well if you poison the water there will be fewer of them.

Thanks for the advice.

Are they still dead???

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/image.php?u=5469&dateline=1138907442 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=5469)

TOW
03-29-2006, 12:37
as lone wolf stated that section of the trail will be overcrowded, so if you don't take a pack with ya, you will probably pick one up along the trail along with all of your other necesseties.............blah, blah, blah.............

brancher
03-29-2006, 20:51
as lone wolf stated that section of the trail will be overcrowded, so if you don't take a pack with ya, you will probably pick one up along the trail along with all of your other necesseties.............blah, blah, blah.............

Yeah, thanks.

What are the resupply spots (food) in GA? Should I plan to carry my food for the entire section without resupply??

hacksaw
03-30-2006, 11:56
1st possible-Minimal Resupply at Suches or comparativly complete resupply at Dahlonega(Woody Gap NOBO, go right to Suches- approx. 1 mile or Left to Dahlonega approx 16 miles)) about 20 miles from Springer.
2nd possible-Hiker Nirvana at Neel's Gap (Mountain Crossings) about 30 miles from Springer, the trail goes through the building.
3rd possible-Helen or Hiawassee Unicoi Gap over 10 miles either way, NOBO turn right to Helen or Left to Hiawassee.
4th possible-Dick's Creek Gap, Hiawassee or Clayton NOBO Hiawassee Left about 12-15 miles Clayton Right about a three day hike because you won't get a ride. Go to Hiawassee.
That's it for Georgia.

hacksaw
03-30-2006, 12:01
Oh, Yeah. Lone Wolf Nailed the rest of it.

I've hiked N. Ga since the early sixties and have never used any water purifier and have never had a problem. Most all the Ga water sources are Aquifer spring fed with nothing going on upstream. Pay attention, use spring heads and you got no problem. Best water in Georgia (including my grandma's well) is the new Gooch Mtn. Shelter water source,IMO. As ever, YMMV!

hacksaw
03-30-2006, 12:08
One more thing. Weather.

While as L.W. said the forcast is for low 70's with a 30 % chance of rain, it is my experience that you can drop 10 degrees and add 10% to the chance of rain at elevations over 3,000 ft. (I live at about 2,000 ft 5 miles from Amicalola Falls and this holds true for my weather station, just outside my window.)

Ender
03-30-2006, 12:14
[B]my bud, "Model T" who starts his 4th THRU-HIKE April 1st.

Jaybird, Is that the same Model T who hiked in '98? He's a great guy. Say hi to him for me to, though I doubt he'd remember me... it's been 8 years and I only hiked near him for a very short time.

brancher
03-30-2006, 14:36
1st possible-Minimal Resupply at Suches or comparativly complete resupply at Dahlonega(Woody Gap NOBO, go right to Suches- approx. 1 mile or Left to Dahlonega approx 16 miles)) about 20 miles from Springer.
2nd possible-Hiker Nirvana at Neel's Gap (Mountain Crossings) about 30 miles from Springer, the trail goes through the building.
3rd possible-Helen or Hiawassee Unicoi Gap over 10 miles either way, NOBO turn right to Helen or Left to Hiawassee.
4th possible-Dick's Creek Gap, Hiawassee or Clayton NOBO Hiawassee Left about 12-15 miles Clayton Right about a three day hike because you won't get a ride. Go to Hiawassee.
That's it for Georgia.

Thanks a million. Sounds like Hiawasee if I decide to resupply at all. May just carry enough fo the whole trip. Thanks for the weather tip also. The weather at Dahlonega looks like summer - warmer than here on the coast, in fact. I'm figuring low's in the 40's (or maybe 30's) by the end of the week.