PDA

View Full Version : Old house on the trail

Robusto
03-28-2006, 12:46
A few years ago I passed and old abandoned two story house on the trail in southern Virginia (or N.C.) it was right on the trail. Does anyone know where this house is and its history?

Robusto

Lion King
03-28-2006, 13:00
The Blair With House with the blue hand print s all over it.

It is right after Kellys Knob/Shelter, and right before VA 603, before you wade through the muddy cow fields.

The next road crossing is VA 603 where they used to sale drinks and ice cream at the house on the left, but now they have 'pay' trail magik, the ice box with a locked money box and drinks in it. Dont get me wrong Im glad those drinks were there, but it was a shock.

Next mountain is Sinking Creek, aprox 30 miles South of Catawba

Skeemer
03-28-2006, 13:46
Look at my March 16th journal entry at www.trailjournals.com Search Skeemer and click on this year's AT journal.

BTW, I would ask that you don't read the last five or six entries as I am currently embroiled in controversy and may get censured from Trailjournals.:o

BTW2, it pays to make a donation here as you can go back and clean up a mess you've made.

Kerosene
03-28-2006, 16:22
Here is a direct link to Skeemer's picture of the house (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=135265&back=1) so you don't have to do a search. I remember passing this last year.

Chef2000
03-28-2006, 20:29
do not know who lives there now, but in 2000 that house where the woman and children sold drinks and such, is owned by the USof A. The land was taken over by the Govmnt because of the AT. The house was still livable and the fields still leased for grazing, so this couple who wanted to get back to nature, leased the home from the Govmnt. The family in 2000 was awesome.

Moxie00
04-01-2006, 17:36
Lion King and Chef both correctly identified the house. Sherpa, myself and about 4 other thru hikers sat for hours on the porch of the family that sold ice cream and soda and wasted so much time that we didn't make Sarvers Cabin that night. The people were born again Christians and the money their concession made was to purchase books for their home schooled kids. The abandoned house looks like a prop left over from "The Blair Witch Project" and the according to the people that sold drinks was the origional farmhouse for the farm they live on now. The family living there abandoned it years ago and built the new house closer to the road and the park sevice bought the old house as the trail went right past it. The family was awesome, Chef is 100% correct.

neo
04-01-2006, 17:43
Look at my March 16th journal entry at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) Search Skeemer and click on this year's AT journal.

BTW, I would ask that you don't read the last five or six entries as I am currently embroiled in controversy and may get censured from Trailjournals.:o

BTW2, it pays to make a donation here as you can go back and clean up a mess you've made.

i remember pasing that house in june 2002,me and my oldest son hank passed buy it,was abandoned then looked like nobody had lived in it in years:cool: neo

skeemers pic of old house

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=135265&back=1