PDA

View Full Version : FKT Attempt on PCT right now

One Half
06-11-2021, 23:20
Timothy Olson is working on a PCT attempt to set a new supported record. Current record stands at 52 days, 8 hours. He had covered 362 miles his first week. In order to get a new record he has to maintain an average over 50.6mpd for 2655 miles. He started in the Mojave and is headed NOBO.

JNI64
06-12-2021, 02:23
Beyond comprehension for my little brain.
Far Beyond driven!

GO FOR IT CMF!!!!

HeartFire
06-15-2021, 19:18
Anyone know how Becky Rogers is doing on the PCT?

Odd Man Out
06-16-2021, 14:28
Seems like attempting a FKT during a record setting heat wave and potentially horrible fire season could be problematic.

JNI64
06-17-2021, 12:06
Anyone know how Becky Rogers is doing on the PCT?

Who is she? Another FKT attemper?

HeartFire
06-18-2021, 04:51
Becky Rogers ( https://www.instagram.com/the_phoenix_running/ )gave up after a week in this heat - smart move.

JNI64
06-18-2021, 12:58
Timothy Olson is working on a PCT attempt to set a new supported record. Current record stands at 52 days, 8 hours. He had covered 362 miles his first week. In order to get a new record he has to maintain an average over 50.6mpd for 2655 miles. He started in the Mojave and is headed NOBO.

Is he still at it ?

4eyedbuzzard
06-19-2021, 06:17
Is he still at it ?According to https://fastestknowntime.com/tracking , he is past Kennedy Meadows and camped in the Arrowhead Lake area on June 17. He's averaging about 1 mpd short of the 50.6 mpd pace he needs to average to break the existing record.

JNI64
06-19-2021, 07:36
Thank you, what a beast !!
It had to have been well into 100's in Mohave , wondering how much night running he did? You considering your running almost 2 marathons a day every day!!

jersey joe
06-19-2021, 08:19
Timothy Olson has had a fantastic ultra running career and is a fantastic athlete. This isn't some random guy attempting this thing. He's got a shot just based on his resume.

JNI64
06-19-2021, 08:55
Timothy Olson has had a fantastic ultra running career and is a fantastic athlete. This isn't some random guy attempting this thing. He's got a shot just based on his resume.

Nobody said he was . I don't know anything about him but why do you think I'm showing so much respect and recognition for his attempt.

One Half
06-19-2021, 22:22
According to https://fastestknowntime.com/tracking , he is past Kennedy Meadows and camped in the Arrowhead Lake area on June 17. He's averaging about 1 mpd short of the 50.6 mpd pace he needs to average to break the existing record.

so he's into the Sierras. Looks like temps there are a bit more reasonable. On Instagram he posted it's been a little hard the last few days but he's keeping at it. Or words to that affect. Maybe it was the heat. Hopefully he will catch a reprieve in the mountains.

One Half
06-20-2021, 21:50
907 miles yesterday "afternoon." 18 1/2 days or so. That makes it about 49 miles per day with some of that time being in a heat wave. Possibly ahead of where Karel and Stringbean were at the same time during their FXTs. I don't have access to the data to see where they were at the "same point."

Coffee
06-21-2021, 05:19
According to https://fastestknowntime.com/tracking , he is past Kennedy Meadows and camped in the Arrowhead Lake area on June 17. He's averaging about 1 mpd short of the 50.6 mpd pace he needs to average to break the existing record.
Just mind blowing numbers. I assume he’d pick up miles per day after the high Sierra. From what I see on some snow pack websites, there’s very little snow remaining which should help. I’ll be in the Sierra Nevada myself three weeks from now on a much slower four day walk.

4eyedbuzzard
06-21-2021, 22:04
Just mind blowing numbers. I assume he’d pick up miles per day after the high Sierra. From what I see on some snow pack websites, there’s very little snow remaining which should help. I’ll be in the Sierra Nevada myself three weeks from now on a much slower four day walk.Yeah, basically 2 marathons...in the mountains...every day. He covers more ground by lunch than I can in two days. :o

Jonnycat
06-21-2021, 22:48
I wish I was in that kind of shape.

One Half
06-27-2021, 21:34
1183 miles done as of 6/24. (2592.4 miles, so over 45.6% done)
24 days chasing 52d 8h 25min or 1256 hours 25 minutes (has used up about 45.8% of the time he needs to beat)
average is 49.3 miles per day.

JNI64
06-28-2021, 08:48
Thanks I was gonna ask here soon.
What a machine how a human can mind over matter to achieve this more human than human feet!!

JNI64
06-28-2021, 09:50
I mean feat!!
Probably not easy on his feet either.

Jonnycat
06-28-2021, 20:32
I'm wondering how this is going to be validated considering that there is a 20 mile section of the PCT closed due to the Lionshead fire? As recently as May the FS estimates that the PCT will be closed all summer in that area.

Coffee
06-28-2021, 21:45
It'll be interesting to see how that's handled. PCTA says there's no walkable detour.

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/closures/oregon/lionshead-fire-mount-jefferson/

One Half
07-02-2021, 14:25
6/30 - last night at ~ 1453 miles (Summit Lake Rd). 1453 miles / 29 days = 50.1 mpd

One Half
07-07-2021, 23:47
7/05 - entered Oregon this morning. Ended the day at Hwy 66 (Green Springs) = 1744.8 miles in 34 days , 51.3 mpd (on pace for < 52d)

Fëanor
07-08-2021, 08:20
Outside online is tracking his progress https://www.outsideonline.com/2423583/pct-fkt

JNI64
07-08-2021, 09:18
Unfreakingbeiliveble!!!!!

JNI64
07-08-2021, 09:45
Un-feakin'- believable!!!!

Better: ),

One Half
07-13-2021, 16:15
7/08 - to Odell Lake, ~ 1918 miles in 38 days
7/11 - Timmy completed the work-around for the Lionhead fire and finished the day a ~ mile 2066, 50.4 mpd average so far so very close to FKT pace

Jonnycat
07-13-2021, 16:21
7/11 - Timmy completed the work-around for the Lionhead fire and finished the day a ~ mile 2066, 50.4 mpd average so far so very close to FKT pace

If he didn't hike the PCT through the Lionshead closure, contiguous with the rest of the trail, it invalidates the FKT. Still a monumental achievement for a man, but not an FKT.

One Half
07-13-2021, 16:31
If he didn't hike the PCT through the Lionshead closure, contiguous with the rest of the trail, it invalidates the FKT. Still a monumental achievement for a man, but not an FKT.
I don't believe that's true. When sections are closed, thru hikers take the reroute. Including those who are attempting an FKT. See this:

Belgian dentist Karel Sabbe (https://gearjunkie.com/pacific-crest-trail-record-2016-karel-sabbe) lowered the mark by about 22 hours, completing the route in 52d8h25m supported, northbound, completed on August 13, 2016. Sabbe's trip has generated some controversy since he took several alternate routes due to fire, as discussed in trailrunnermag.com (http://trailrunnermag.com/people/culture/2257-karel-sabbe-pacific-crest-trail-fkt-debate?utm_content=buffer63bb2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer). However, Joe McConaughy (previous FKT holder) also official detours. He said: "I did take the official PCT reroutes of all sections that were closed. I ran all these sections (meaning if it was a road reroute, I would run all of it). ... I believe I ended up running a few extra miles for the reroutes!"
https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/karel-sabbe-pacific-crest-trail-ca-or-wa-2016-08-13

Jonnycat
07-13-2021, 21:10
I don't believe that's true. When sections are closed, thru hikers take the reroute. Including those who are attempting an FKT.

The point remains that they are not hiking the same contiguous trail as everyone else, regardless of what the FKT website and other people try to convince others of. This is further complicated by the stated fact that Tim and his team are purposely not giving real-time updates as to his progress, and as there is no re-route given by pcta.org (https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/closures/oregon/lionshead-fire-mount-jefferson/), we have no idea as to what his re-route even was at this time.

IIRC the closed section includes at least one stream crossing (Milk Creek and/or Russell Creek); does the re-route also have a stream crossing? Are the altitude changes the same? Too many variables for it to be, to me, an FKT.

Still a great accomplishment though, and one that possibly should be listed with the other attempts, albeit with an asterisk, but it should not override an FKT of someone who actually ran the entire trail in one shot.

JNI64
07-13-2021, 21:16
The point remains that they are not hiking the same contiguous trail as everyone else, regardless of what the FKT website and other people try to convince others of. This is further complicated by the stated fact that Tim and his team are purposely not giving real-time updates as to his progress, and as there is no re-route given by pcta.org (https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/closures/oregon/lionshead-fire-mount-jefferson/), we have no idea as to what his re-route even was at this time.

IIRC the closed section includes at least one stream crossing (Milk Creek and/or Russell Creek); does the re-route also have a stream crossing? Are the altitude changes the same? Too many variables for it to be, to me, an FKT.

Still a great accomplishment though, and one that possibly should be listed with the other attempts, albeit with an asterisk, but it should not override an FKT of someone who actually ran the entire trail in one shot.

So if this happens to a thru hiker you don't consider it a thru hike?

Jonnycat
07-13-2021, 21:42
So if this happens to a thru hiker you don't consider it a thru hike?

No, I would still consider it a thru hike, because during that period of time, everyone on the trail was affected by the same closure. I would consider someone who went halfway NOBO then shuttled to the top and finished it SOBO to be a thru. An FKT is a different animal though, because there needs to be a consistent set of standards when comparing one person's time to another's over a time span existing beyond one season.

As an addendum to my previous post, one other difficulty in the closed stretch is Park Butte (just north of Jefferson Park), which besides being steep, is possibly still covered in snow/ice, providing an additional degree of difficulty.

JNI64
07-13-2021, 23:10
Closures could happen at any time along the trail. So those ahead of a sudden Closure may not be affected by the same Closure. It's like an act of God or nature when really bad weather comes. I have no idea what the rules are but if there's a Closure then taking the alternate might take longer just like bad weather.
I get what you're saying but it will never be a complete level playing field there's just to many variables.

Jonnycat
07-13-2021, 23:47
Good point, but I would still consider it a thru-hike; basically as long as you went from the start to the terminus in one season, hiking as much of the trail as was allowed while you were on it. And who is to say that the person who ended up having to deal with a closure had an easier time? They have to make logistics changes, arrange for different rides and possibly different resupply, etc. Of course that's just my rough opinion, a thru is a personal journey and not a competition with anyone other than one's self, so there is obviously room for interpretation.

JNI64
07-14-2021, 00:17
So the rules have to remain the same for a fkt as well IMHO.
Because there's no way you're going to have the exact same conditions.
So do you not think Karel holds the record? He apparently had to use Some "official detours.

Seatbelt
07-14-2021, 08:05
[QUOTE=Jonnycat;2287896]The point remains that they are not hiking the same contiguous trail as everyone else, regardless of what the FKT website and other people try to convince others of.

Yes in fact they ARE actually hiking/running the same trail as everyone else is AT THAT TIME. Last years' trail was slightly different, next year's trail will no doubt be different, even if in a small way. Most FKT's, when not attempted in the same year, have different mileages, reroutes, etc.
I do see what you are saying, but the only way I would agree with your standpoint is if the reroutes provided a shorter distance than the previous FKT.

4eyedbuzzard
07-14-2021, 18:06
As there is no "official" formal organization regarding FKT's on trail runs, the default organization recording these runs/hikes is https://fastestknowntime.com/ , and they, along with the runners who have and continue to set these records under their rules about submission, routes, styles, and tracking , do not agree with your opinion. Typically the "official route" is the one that is legally open as declared by the trail organizations that govern and manage the trails at the time of the attempt. Trail routes often change both temporarily and permanently. Typically the changes are small, and generally trails get longer, not shorter, as reroutes go around temporary obstacles and safety closures, new protected areas, and as switchbacks are added.

Jonnycat
07-14-2021, 20:11
As there is no "official" formal organization regarding FKT's on trail runs, the default organization recording these runs/hikes is https://fastestknowntime.com/ , and they, along with the runners who have and continue to set these records under their rules about submission, routes, styles, and tracking , do not agree with your opinion.

Yes, it is apparent that the "Fastest Known Time LLC" company doesn't agree with my opinion, and I am sure that Timothy's corporate sponsor (Adidas®) also does not agree, especially when he serves as an advertising vehicle for them to sell more of their product by his attempt, and possible designation of getting the FKT.

JNI64
07-15-2021, 00:00
So I'm curious what your take is on the last 2 record holders that had to use re-routes. Or is it the fact that this guy has a sponsor?

Jonnycat
07-15-2021, 11:16
So I'm curious what your take is on the last 2 record holders that had to use re-routes. Or is it the fact that this guy has a sponsor?
As I have stated before in this thread, there needs to be a consistent set of standards for a thru to be considered to be an FKT, and re-routes do not provide for that, especially when you consider the various types of difficulties encountered on the trail (snow/ice/streams/altitude). One possible way this could be addressed would be to allow future runners the same re-route options as previous runners, but that would end up with a patchwork trail and most likely take away from the spirit of an FKT.

As to the promotion and monetization of the trail by corporate entities and sponsors, yeah, not a big fan of that to put it mildly.

JNI64
07-15-2021, 12:27
As I have stated before in this thread, there needs to be a consistent set of standards for a thru to be considered to be an FKT, and re-routes do not provide for that, especially when you consider the various types of difficulties encountered on the trail (snow/ice/streams/altitude). One possible way this could be addressed would be to allow future runners the same re-route options as previous runners, but that would end up with a patchwork trail and most likely take away from the spirit of an FKT.

As to the promotion and monetization of the trail by corporate entities and sponsors, yeah, not a big fan of that to put it mildly.

Yeah you're right it will never be "fair" so maybe we should just "cancel " FKT attempts

Traveler
07-16-2021, 07:57
Maybe just cite the FKT for that year and route?

JNI64
07-16-2021, 09:03
Maybe just cite the FKT for that year and route?

I kinda like this idea.

One Half
07-16-2021, 13:53

This is going to be a tough one

ScottS
07-19-2021, 15:22
Did he hike/run the reroute or get in a car? I can't find any info.

One Half
07-19-2021, 23:35
Did he hike/run the reroute or get in a car? I can't find any info.
he ran/hiked it or it would be a disqual and no sense in finishing it

Latest update:
7/17 - to Snoqualmie Pass, 2409.4 miles in 47 days (51.26 mpd average)

5 days 8 hours "left" to beat the record with approx 256 miles left. (needs to beat 48.03 mpd)

ScottS
07-20-2021, 20:12
Where did you see them talk about what they did for the reroute?

One Half
07-20-2021, 23:24
Where did you see them talk about what they did for the reroute?

from the FKT website

JNI64
07-21-2021, 00:09

Latest update:
7/17 - to Snoqualmie Pass, 2409.4 miles in 47 days (51.26 mpd average)

5 days 8 hours "left" to beat the record with approx 256 miles left. (needs to beat 48.03 mpd)

What a beast !!

ScottS
07-21-2021, 13:26
I had read that but I mistook the previous posts as referencing something giving details on what he actually did.

Silverton
07-21-2021, 20:18
Agreed! AND it was not a walk around. He did an out and back. I was not aware that out and backs were valid.

JNI64
07-21-2021, 20:19
I wonder how long it takes to recover from running 50 double marathons a day for 50 days , through the desert and mountains???

JNI64
07-21-2021, 20:29
I was talking about recovery time.
Not what again johnnycat thinks . We all know your opinion on this is and you know what they say about opinions.

Emerson Bigills
07-21-2021, 21:22
People fretting over a creek crossing difference or a couple miles here or there, need to consider how different going the length of that trail is from one year to the next. The amount of snow in the Sierras in 2019 versus what was there this year or last year is a huge difference. Other factors also play into it. The last few years, fire closures have been the rule and not the exception.

One Half
07-21-2021, 23:43
he must be getting close to finishing. Tomorrow will be 52 days.

Silverton
07-22-2021, 08:58
I agree with all of this. Especially as no real time updates are given. And let's say the rest of the thru hikers stay the course, but he chooses to take a re route? If the road is open, the road is open.

One Half
07-22-2021, 14:08
I agree with all of this. Especially as no real time updates are given. And let's say the rest of the thru hikers stay the course, but he chooses to take a re route? If the road is open, the road is open.

If the "current" route is open, reroutes are not allowed. So your point is moot. He would be DQ'ed for not following the "route."

Today is his day 52 so I expect to hear something probably within the next 24 hours. If he breaks the record it will need to be verified and that could take a bit but I believe we should hear he either beat it, finished but not in time, or DNF within the next 24 hours max.

One Half
07-22-2021, 14:17
FYI, I just checked Instagram and he had 60 miles left this morning when he headed out.

I must admit I am a bit confused as to how the days are being counted or perhaps it's just a question of what time on 6/1 he started his attempt. If he started in the morning of 6/1 then same time on 6/2 would be 1 day. on 6/30 at that time in morning would be 29 days. This morning (at start time on 6/1) would be 51 days completed, today being the 52nd day which would take him to "start time" tomorrow on the 23rd. Then he gets 8 more hours. SO today when he started he likely had 32 hours in which to complete 60 miles? Does this sound right to everyone?

If the above is accurate, do you think he will push through for 60 without sleep or do his 50 and sleep and rip off an "easy 10" in the morning. Pushing through could take 8 or more hours off the total time.

JNI64
07-22-2021, 15:26
FYI, I just checked Instagram and he had 60 miles left this morning when he headed out.

I must admit I am a bit confused as to how the days are being counted or perhaps it's just a question of what time on 6/1 he started his attempt. If he started in the morning of 6/1 then same time on 6/2 would be 1 day. on 6/30 at that time in morning would be 29 days. This morning (at start time on 6/1) would be 51 days completed, today being the 52nd day which would take him to "start time" tomorrow on the 23rd. Then he gets 8 more hours. SO today when he started he likely had 32 hours in which to complete 60 miles? Does this sound right to everyone?

If the above is accurate, do you think he will push through for 60 without sleep or do his 50 and sleep and rip off an "easy 10" in the morning. Pushing through could take 8 or more hours off the total time.

I think this is correct, it comes down to what time of day he started because every single hour matters.
And I think he pushes on and completes it .no rest for the weary.

JNI64
07-22-2021, 23:57
As of 3:52 pm 7/22 Timmy had 30 miles to go and must finish by 2:40 pm 7/23 . He might take a nap and finish in the morning.
I really don't know how a human survives this kind of extreme endurance!!

One Half
07-23-2021, 10:07
as of 10:48 pm last night Tim had completed the PCT. his "unofficial" time is 51 days 16 hrs 55 mins.

and he needs to "hike back out" 30 miles this morning.

JNI64
07-23-2021, 10:42
Congratulations to Tim!!
What a monster!!

ScottS
07-23-2021, 11:51

Do you still feel the same?

Scarlet
07-24-2021, 12:09
https://fastestknowntime.com/article/timothy-olson-fkts-and-raging-wildfires

Coffee
07-24-2021, 20:24
It’s an amazing accomplishment. I assumed that a continuous chain of footprints from border to border was the idea, with whatever detours are needed, but it sounds like that was just not practical due to the extreme conditions this year.

One Half
07-25-2021, 20:28
Thus, runners must follow these overarching principals:

Respect official Closures (btw, this includes Tribal land as well as wildfire closures).
Follow official re-routes (if they exist).
As much as possible, re-routes should be about the same distance and elevation change as the original route.
If the re-route is only slightly shorter or longer, live with it.
If it is significantly shorter or longer, we might establish a Variation; such as the "PCT 2022”.
Be transparent, and document what you did.
For 2021, Timothy will be doing the same distance and vertical gain as the original, so there will be no Variation.

Example: Timothy/Lionshead Fire Closure:

Timothy did a re-route a few weeks ago, with this method:
The re-route was not practical; it consists of long, unpleasant road miles; thru-hikers are basically hitch-hiking around it.
Therefore, he ran up to the southern boundary of the closure, then turned around and ran back out still on the PCT the nearest trailhead, was picked up and driven around, then did another out/back on the northern boundary.
This added an additional 23 out/back miles, the Closure is about 22 miles, so it’s a wash, plus he has to sit in the car for 3 hours to get around.

ScottS
07-26-2021, 21:10
Do you still feel the same?

chknfngrs
06-25-2022, 19:44
Witt Wisebram aka el matador is vying for the self supported FKT, tryna find the link to his instagram. Worthy of note because in 2024 he may also be going for the AT self supported FKt that string bean presently holds

LazyLightning
06-27-2022, 09:54
I found this but either the tracker isn't to good or I don't know how to use it ( https://share.garmin.com/Wittwisebram ). The map doesn't show the trail, only some vague tracking/waypoints it looks like. If anyone finds a better map or anything I'd be interested to. You could find his instagram easy searching his name but looks like if, like me, you are not on Instagram/Facebook then you can't view anything from it.