PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear Advice needed

shoe
03-28-2006, 18:28
Background:
Inexperienced overnight on a strict budget hiker tackling the GA section starting April 20.

I've seen all the posts about not needing this and not needing that but I need a rain suit.

I was looking at Frog Togs and the Sierra Designs.
The Frog Togs seem to be a better price for the set.

Are the Frog Togs going to hold up, be reliable or are the Sierra Designs better.

This is the last piece of gear I have to decide on. I am a little nervous about the whole trip and want to get the right thing so any advice is welcome

Thanks in advance
Melissa

Heater
03-28-2006, 18:58
I think Frogg Toggs would hold up fine for the Georgia section.
See this post about FroggTogg/DriDuds. Good price.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13891

peter_pan
03-28-2006, 19:35
Dri Ducks ...less weight ...less cost

Pan

jigsaw
03-28-2006, 20:11
stearns rainjacket from walmart 20 bucks used one for a couple years section hikes. now using a packa and couldnt be happier

Skidsteer
03-28-2006, 20:26
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/drop_stoppers_rain_gear.html

These (Drop Stoppers ) may well be the lightest and cheapest choice. I can vouch that they are waterproof and more breathable than most. Caution: If your route to the "privy" takes you through blackberry brambles or any of their evil cousins, all bets are off (patch with duct tape;pinholes can be repaired with seam sealer). They should easily make it through GA. Enjoy your hike!:)

shoe
03-28-2006, 20:44
Thanks for all the advice. More options than I thought. And the prices seem to getting better :)

sdoownek
03-28-2006, 20:45
I'll throw a vote in for the Marmot Precip stuff. I've been using it for 8-9 years and still love mine. It's been retreated a couple of times, and has a couple of pieces of duct tape on it, but for what it's been through, it's among the best gear I've ever owned.

Disclaimer: Do your research--some of the people owning the newer Precips have complained that it's not as breathable as the older stuff (like mine) is..

That said, make sure it's breathable. Yes, there are going to be people who will say that it doesn't matter. True, you're going to get wet. But you'll be wetter if you go out in something that doesn't breathe at all.
My experience, my reality, my thoughts.

wilderness bob
03-28-2006, 21:22
Rain suit... needed in Georgia. Use as rain gear and also as a wind breaker (good hood, zip up waste and such). Keep that in mind when selecting your gear.

shoe
03-28-2006, 22:27
Well I ran up to Bass Pro Shops and looked at the Frog Toggs....i am not too sure about those. They feel like paper. I'll have to do some more research on those.

Drop Stoppers are out of stock at the moment, but would like to see them first before buying.

Precip is out of my price range for now since I still have to buy my tent and water filter (can't do the drops thing since I don't even like pulp in my orange juice)

...sigh

bulldog49
03-28-2006, 22:52
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39177441&memberId=12500226

A simple poncho like this is light weight, durable and very inexpensive.

Skidsteer
03-28-2006, 23:02
Well I ran up to Bass Pro Shops and looked at the Frog Toggs....i am not too sure about those. They feel like paper. I'll have to do some more research on those.
Drop Stoppers are out of stock at the moment, but would like to see them first before buying....sigh

If you're uncertain about the Frogg Toggs durability(unwarranted, IMO), you'll go Woody Allen about the Drop Stoppers. Upside: You can carry three sets for less money and a little weight penalty. :sun

bulldog49
03-28-2006, 23:07
Sorry, that was for the large size, this link is the regular size.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39177490&memberId=12500226

shoe
03-28-2006, 23:18
I feel like I on information overload at the moment. Too many choices. I think I am probably leaning toward traditional rain gear. I think for my ease of mind.
Maybe when I get more experienced I can try some of the other stuff out.

I greatly appreciate all the advice. And will update with what I decide.

Whistler
03-29-2006, 00:59
If going the poncho route, I'd get a slightly more expensive, but lighter model... for example (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9996340&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1).

For quality jackets, note that Backcountrygear has the Marmot Essence (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/MA5082) on sale. BCG is a reputable dealer, good folks. And www.backcountryoutlet.com (http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/ODR0123/Outdoor-Research-Zealot-Jacket-Mens.html?id=egtW2Qdz) has the OR Zealot on sale as well, if you don't mind a men's cut.

At those prices, they're about the best balance of weight, function, and value I can think of right now, aside from the poncho.
-Mark

Phreak
04-02-2006, 11:38
I use the Outdoor Gear Pack Poncho. It's only $24.00 but unsnaps in the back to cover your backpack as well. It's the only piece of rain gear I carry.

erichlf
04-02-2006, 17:52
I like using the combination of a light weight fleece under a windshirt.

Tinker
04-02-2006, 19:10
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/drop_stoppers_rain_gear.html

These (Drop Stoppers ) may well be the lightest and cheapest choice. I can vouch that they are waterproof and more breathable than most. Caution: If your route to the "privy" takes you through blackberry brambles or any of their evil cousins, all bets are off (patch with duct tape;pinholes can be repaired with seam sealer). They should easily make it through GA. Enjoy your hike!:)

The Drop Stoppers are absolute junk. I trashed a pair on a dayhike on a well established local trail. Some people have blown out the seat seam just by squatting down.

I've looked at Frogg Toggs, and they appear to be much more durable than the Drop Stoppers.

FWIW, I ended up taking my (relatively) heavy Marmot Precip jacket and Red ledge Thunderlite full zip pants. I didn't need them. The one day I hiked in the rain it was in the mid 60's and the rain was light. Other than that, it rained on my tent one night.

DawnTreader
04-02-2006, 19:37
I use the wallyworld stearns. the jacket doubles as my wind layer, although I don't use the pants much, unless I am canoeing :) super cheap, no problems yet..

SGTdirtman
04-02-2006, 20:10
I'd never give up my poncho... It saves weight because you dont need a seperate pack cover, and if you carry a tent and use a rainfly or a ground cloth your poncho can do that as well. and the billion other uses for a poncho

Gear that does a bunch of stuff is always better than gear that does one thing. yea that and a lightweight poncho probably weighs the same as any other rain gear...

bulldog49
04-02-2006, 21:02
A Poncho can also be used as a shelter. With Shelters available on the AT, you could go without a tent or tarp, using the poncho as your backup shelter in an emergency.

shoe
04-02-2006, 21:38
I ended up going with the SIerra Designs Hurricane Jacket. I got it on clearance at REI for a great price. I haven't decided on pants. I may skip the pants and just carry another pair of lightweight pants in case I get chilled. The consensus seems to be that most people don't use the pants anyways.

I am defenitely not ready for the poncho/shelter thing. Maybe when I get more comfortable with myself in the woods.

I tried looking for the Stearns Jacket at my W but didn't find it. Is it in a certain section?

Just Jeff
04-02-2006, 22:10
Stearns jackets are in Walmart's camping or hunting sections.

jaywalke
04-03-2006, 10:55
billion other uses for a poncho

I use my poncho as a "door/hatch" for my silshelter. That way I can pitch it high and wide.

Heater
04-03-2006, 12:28
I use the Outdoor Gear Pack Poncho. It's only $24.00 but unsnaps in the back to cover your backpack as well. It's the only piece of rain gear I carry.

Where did you get that poncho?

QHShowoman
04-03-2006, 16:17
I like the REI Ultralight Jacket and Pants. Yeah, they're expensive (although I got my jacket at the .83 sale for like $20, but they only weight about 25 oz combined and pack pretty small. They are waterproof AND breathable AND come with REI's 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Peaks
04-03-2006, 16:27
I haven't decided on pants. I may skip the pants and just carry another pair of lightweight pants in case I get chilled. The consensus seems to be that most people don't use the pants anyways.

I've found places and times when I definately wanted pants. When it happens, I wear my rain pants. They are Frogg Toggs, and they work just fine.

Cedar Tree
04-03-2006, 17:00
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Packa-Total-coverage-for-Hiker-and-Backpack_W0QQitemZ8789903861QQcategoryZ74005QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

currently half price.
CT

mingo
04-03-2006, 17:33
you will sweat like a fat pig in a poncho. dri-ducks are my personal choice. they keep you dry, and they breathe, and they're cheap. they're better than frogg-toggs because they are cooler. they are two layers. frogg-toggs are three layers. they're not so durable but they're so cheap they're almost disposable.

Nearly Normal
04-04-2006, 17:39
You won't have trouble with Frogg Toggs. They work well in cold wind too.
Try them on first if you can. They size big. As far as I know they are also American made.
pete

RockyTrail
04-04-2006, 17:50
For some reason I've found anything made by REI is sized a bit small, even for the XL sizes, so make sure you try before you buy. Kinda like Japanese cars; my knees always hit the steering wheel when driving.

Frogg Toggs are roomy except check that the 6" leg zips pass over your boots or shoes, mine just barely squeak by.

trippclark
04-04-2006, 17:50
you will sweat like a fat pig in a poncho.

When you are hiking hard up a mountain wearing ANY raingear you'll sweat like a pig . . . or at least I do. Even "breathable" raingear is not breathable enough in those conditions . . . you just get hot and sweaty. The ONLY completely breathable raingear that I have found is a good umbrella (my preference is the GoLite dome because it has no metal, but I also have and sometimes use a MountainSmith umbrella) and gaiters to keep the moisture off socks and out of shoes.

I still carry a rainsuit as a backup but often wonder why. I have not used it in years except for as a windbreaker / extra layer.

BigToe
04-22-2006, 18:35
If going the poncho route, I'd get a slightly more expensive, but lighter model... for example (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9996340&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1).

That's the way I went. At 10 ounces actual weight, for the poncho and carry bag, I have a poncho, pack cover, tarp, ground cover. Nice multiuse item. I section hike every year and I look at every item and really think about whether or not it is the right way to go. I just got back from a three hour hike in the pouring rain with pack, and decided this poncho is a keeper. However, I've been accused of looking like a demented gigantic blueberry in it (see attached pic).

Rambler
04-23-2006, 23:30
For those of you who just use the poncho both as a shelter and rain gear, what happens when you need to leave the shelter in a pouring, cold rain. For example, I might be in a shelter, but need to walk a good distance to get more water from a stream. At At shelters, the water source can often be located down a long hill or other long distanes where a fast sprint is not a good idea. I also use rain gear as a warm layer around camp. Using a poncho as the shelter leaves me without that warm layer. I do like the idea of using the poncho for both, but I need more convincing.

BigToe
04-24-2006, 11:25
I agree with you, Rambler. I don't use my poncho as a shelter - I'm a hammock hanger. I multiuse the poncho as a poncho/pack cover which validates it for me in the weight, cost and space savings for these two functions. I would have reservations using it as my primary shelter for the reason you state.

Off topic - I hope WhiteBlazers are donating to help pay for the cost of running the forum. Just think about the value of the advice and information you get from the experienced folks on the board. I try to donate a small percentage of the money I know I've saved by buying the right equipment as well as my perceived value of the incredible knowledge base here.

JEB
04-24-2006, 14:05
Mel-Gazelle,

Unless it's a real cold day, consider wearing minimal clothes and getting a free wash. For those wet, real cold days, DriDucks or FroggToggs will keep you dry for low cost in weight and $$.

Getting soaked with rain is always preferable to getting soaked with sweat __ especially if most of your insulation is dry in your pack.

Pickles
04-26-2006, 10:27
Anyone tried a rain suit or poncho from 'Scott'? I was looking at Frogg Toggs at Academy Sporting Goods and they had rain suits and ponchos from 'Scott' that look like they are made out of the same type of material. They have snaps instead of a zipper in the jacket and also have adjustable snaps at the wrists and ankles. It didn't have a weight on the label but felt lighter than the Frogg Toggs. The amazing thing is that the rain suit was $2.98 and the poncho was $1.98 (regular price). I tried it on and squatted down - the pants seems held. I figured I couldn't pass it by for that. It's supposed to rain this week-end so that will be my test. If I get wet or the fabric isn't very breathable, I'm out less than $3.

TN_Hiker
04-26-2006, 10:55
Pickles,

I purchased the poncho (bright yellow) and it seems to hold up well. The only complaint I had was it seemed cut short in the back so my rearend was exposed......to the rain that is. For the price I was pleased. I did go w/ the Frogg Toggs which I suspect will hold up better -- time will tell.