PDA

View Full Version : Trail Etiquette

Former Admin
09-03-2002, 19:55
Comments ........

Hammock Hanger
09-04-2002, 20:47
Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Don't smoke, talk on cells, listen to loud music, fornicate or other such stuff in shelters.

Be helpful to your fellow hikers, we need each other for support.

Just my 2 cents worth. HH

The Weasel
09-04-2002, 21:50
I agree with HH, but ESPECIALLY don't do ALL of those simultaneously, at least in a shelter!

The Weasel

Peaks
09-05-2002, 07:30
The saying is: Hike your own hike, but don't force anyone to hike your's.

highway
09-15-2002, 12:21
Horses have the right of way over backpackers. We are to give way to them by going on DOWNHILL side. That's interesting trail etiquette!
I had no idea all those other activities took place at shelters, though.

Hammock Hanger
09-15-2002, 15:31
YOu would be suprised at what goes on after the lights go out. For those new to hiking and staying in shelters, just because others can't SEE, we can definately HEAR. Please, pitch a tent if you plan any night time romps. It will be much appreciated by your fellow hikers. I have to say most of this type of behavior was from weekend or short distance hikers. (One instant 3 others and myself just all burst out laughing at the same time. WHen we got up early the next morning the lovebirds were already gone and we didn't see or HEAR them again. :p Hammock Hanger

Former Admin
09-16-2002, 01:34
Originally posted by Hammock Hanger
Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Don't smoke, talk on cells, listen to loud music, fornicate or other such stuff in shelters.

Be helpful to your fellow hikers, we need each other for support.

Just my 2 cents worth. HH
Hammock Hanger,

Have you witnessed fornication in the shelters lately?

SGT Rock
09-16-2002, 09:12
I would rather take out my camera and take a picture. If they aren't too embarassed to do it in public, they probably wouldn't mind me getting a picture to remember it by.:D

Hammock Hanger
09-16-2002, 17:41
I actually didn'tcome across any during my 2002 hike. I had 4 experiences with it in 2001. WHen I was a section hiker my husband and I had a couple hiking the same pace and after like 4 straight nights we just used our tent. HH

Redbeard
01-02-2003, 23:36
Thanx, Highway. You reminded me of a question I had while hiking last year. If you stop to let hikers pass, you stand on the uphill side because people naturally fall that way(or at least try to). But horses get skittish when something is above them, is this why you stand downhill for horses?

Kozmic Zian
05-23-2004, 14:06
It's a long way to Maine. My advice is to be civil to one another, keep your hike tight, clean, and aware. Pay attention to advice up and down the Trail. See what other, more experienced hikers are doing. There is a certain 'hiker etiquette', but as you go, it's more learned than taught. The Maine thing, is to use your common, everyday sense......keep hiking.....you'll get there(wherever you want to go). KZ@

BlackCloud
07-29-2004, 12:26
I hate to have to add these, but so few heed them anymore I must:

1. Uphill has the right of way;
2. Please let faster hikers (and drivers for that matter) pass; and
3. Secure your wrappers so they don't wiggle out of your pack pockets...

Thanx:welcome

Rain Man
07-29-2004, 12:47
I hate to have to add these, but so few heed them anymore I must:

1. Uphill has the right of way

Seems strange to me, though I'm not disputing it. I was out on a day hike yesterday, huffing and puffing uphill and starting to sweat.

Along comes a hiker downhill, and I think, "Aha, an excuse for me to step aside and catch my breath."

WRONG, the downhill hiker stopped and announced I had the right of way. I felt as if I were "obligated" to keep going pursuant to proper etiquette, which I did.

However, I wished it were the other way around, and the downhill hiker had the right of way. I could have rested.

And besides, I always consider hiking downhill to be more difficult. It's harder on your knees. It's harder to maintain control. It's farther to fall if you slip. Etc.

Anyway, odd that you would say that today, when I just wuz wishing it backwards yesterday!

:jump

Rain Man

BlackCloud
07-29-2004, 12:57
The downhill/uphill rule becomes painfully obvious on a busy trail, on a busy day.

Encounter 100 people coming downhill in an hour's time & you'll love this rule.

rgarling
07-29-2004, 13:39
The downhill/uphill rule becomes painfully obvious on a busy trail, on a busy day.

Encounter 100 people coming downhill in an hour's time & you'll love this rule.
=============

the uphill/downhill situation is symmetric. Just assume you are going downhill and 100 people are coming up. Not so much to love now is there?

I agree with RainMan. It makes more sense for the uphill bound person to stop because:
1. the upward bound person is travelling slower and can stop quicker
2. the upward bound welcome the rest
3. the downhill bound person is travelling faster
4. the downhill bound person has more momentum to overcome and poorer footing.

If you are climbing uphill and encounter some downhillers, just stop and let them go buy. This is one 'rule' that needs ignoring.

SGT Rock
07-29-2004, 13:55
I have never heard a solid rule before about uphill/downhill. I just sort of play it by situation. If I am flying downhill and her comes someone uphill, I hope they will get out of my way. But if I am going slow downhill and it looks like the uphill climber has a rythm going, then I get out of the way - but it seems not every uphill climber likes it when I do this. On the other hand, I always try to give someone coming downhill to me the right of way.

smokymtnsteve
07-29-2004, 15:46
I'm NEVER in a Hurry so I never have to worry. :D

manzana
07-29-2004, 16:19
Downhill always has the right of way in the mountains since it is normally more difficult for them to stop. Where does "it" say that uphill has the right of way? That doesnt make sense...

APPLE in AUSTIN

Chip
07-29-2004, 18:29
I never heard of such a rule. Most of the time when I meet someone on trail we both are already stepping aside to let the other pass simultaneously. Then I say come on by, then they say no, you go ahead and pass = we are standing there like idots!:jump Most hikers are considerate. Just practice the Golden Rule in the backcountry too! ;)

springerfever
07-29-2004, 19:04
Horses have the right of way over backpackers. We are to give way to them by going on DOWNHILL side. That's interesting trail etiquette!
I had no idea all those other activities took place at shelters, though.
I haven't done much hiking on trails that allow horses; but I think my inclination would be to be on the higher ground when horses pass. If a horse was to stumble or get spooked by a snake, etc..., I don't want him landing on me on the downhill side !!

Connie
07-29-2004, 19:38
In the Bob Marshall Wilderness, downhill has right-of-way. Here are two examples:

1. I had one good horse and one young pack horse, "in training", I had rented for a week in The Bob.

The young horse was skittish, charged the lead horse a lot, and pulled on the dally-rope wearing right through a leather roping glove to the outside edge of my littlest finger. We were on our way out when I saw a european hiker couple approaching chatting away. They had not yet entered on the steep scree slope with one tight switchback at the end, and I prayed I would get thru that section before they got on that section. Fall there, the horses and you die. Happily, the kids saw me and pulled up, however on the high side of the "trail". They were still talking, and quite loud. I prayed stronger! The pole had fallen out of the pack saddle holding the panniers, and I looked back to see the rope "might" hold. I talked to the horse, saying the same words over and over I had said at the black bear hunkered down in the brush, above the trail, heading down the ravine in the morning for a drink of water, and the horses believed me, trusting me to get them past this strange "new predator". PLEASE get off the trail, below, or walk back to a wider spot on the trail and pull off to one side.

2. Further down, I met a big horse outfit, with young boys and girls and mom's, and two wranglers, with the outfitter riding back with the slower people and horses taking up the rear.

I got the one good horse and that "jughead" pack horse off the trail, but the wrangler insisted on "eddiquette"! He got all those boys and girls and some mom's to get their horses, and the wranglers got the entire pack string, to step off the trail! I was so mortified. I pulled my hat down and rode out silently, only nodding acknowledgement if someone spoke to me. Finally, I got out to the end of that long string of horses and riders, all standing aside, and the outfitter said, "Is that all?" I nodded. He said "Is that all?" I said, "Yes." He and his wrangler had their jaws drop. I was "a girl"! Alone in The Bob, and his clients were paying big buck$. Nothing more was ever said.

I think "trail etiquette" is good! I also think "trail etiquette" is stupid!

food
07-29-2004, 20:37
I suspect the NOLS folks put the downhill rule in the LNT conventions in order to get horse groups to buy in. Ray Jardine says NEVER go to the dowhill side. I am more flexible. I will go downhill if there is a reasonable route. I will retrace my steps a reasonable distance to a wider place.

A couple of time I have gone uphill and the wrangles have told me I was wrong. My reply is always "Show me your insurance policy." If you are taking green stock on a busy, narrow, steep trail I will not allow my safety to be compromised.

The people that rented you the "jughead" put you in a bad position. Your safety was dependent on the knowledge and courtesy of hikers.