PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, Cyber Tracker device is on the way!

Tin Man
03-28-2006, 19:18
Watch out! You can hike, but you can't hide - there will be no hiding from your spouses/significant others now!

Click here (http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=114797)

Sly
03-28-2006, 19:24
The Cyber Tracker will be part of the equipment carried by Boy Scout Troop 210 of Cary, NC, when members embark on a 50-mile hike later this year. The group of 30 hikers will be tracked during the seven-day trip and their progress mapped in real-time during the hike. This will be the first time the Cyber Tracker will be tested in a high adventure application.

Two wrongs don't make it right!

Just Jeff
03-28-2006, 19:37
We've been using similar devices to tracks soldiers and equipment in combat ops for a little while now. Increased situational awareness for the commander also translates into increased micromanagement and tactical paralysis if you're not careful!

Seems like it's basically a full-time PLB...good for some applications, but easily abused.

Tin Man
03-28-2006, 19:57
We've been using similar devices to tracks soldiers and equipment in combat ops for a little while now. Increased situational awareness for the commander also translates into increased micromanagement and tactical paralysis if you're not careful!

Seems like it's basically a full-time PLB...good for some applications, but easily abused.

I go into the woods to avoid increased micromanagement! Why can't the military keep some of their secrets, well, secret?! Actually, as long as I can keep my mouth shut, my wife probably won't hear about this for a few years anyway. ;)

MOWGLI
03-28-2006, 20:19
I wonder if these 30 scouts (or more importantly - their leaders) know that maximum group size on the AT is 25?

hikerjohnd
03-28-2006, 20:46
I think the technology has its place in the outdoors - perhaps skiiers should carry something like this in the event of avalanche... Just a thought - not looking forward to big brother implanting me with lojack...

Sly
03-28-2006, 21:15
I wonder if these 30 scouts (or more importantly - their leaders) know that maximum group size on the AT is 25?

I wonder how they came up wih that numbers which still seems too large to me. There just aren't that many spots on the AT within "normal" walking distance that can hold a group overnight that size without trampling new spaces.

max patch
03-28-2006, 21:41

To clarify, thats a "guideline" not a "rule."

max patch
03-28-2006, 21:43
I wonder how they came up wih that numbers which still seems too large to me. There just aren't that many spots on the AT within "normal" walking distance that can hold a group overnight that size without trampling new spaces.

The "guideline" for overnight is 10. This, of course, is routinely broken by scout groups and others.

And if thruhikers can be classified as a "group" then this guideline is broken many, many times.

MOWGLI
03-28-2006, 21:48
The "guideline" for overnight is 10. This, of course, is routinely broken by scout groups and others.

And if thruhikers can be classified as a "group" then this guideline is broken many, many times.

You're right. 25 is the day hike group size.

Tin Man
03-28-2006, 22:26
You're right. 25 is the day hike group size.

Yeah, back to the guideline/limit thing. Dang! I am supposed to be organizing a scout overnighter on the AT in May. Maybe if I make it clear that it will be a difficult hike, I can keep the numbers down. :o

Tin Man
03-28-2006, 22:30
I think the technology has its place in the outdoors - perhaps skiiers should carry something like this in the event of avalanche... Just a thought - not looking forward to big brother implanting me with lojack...

Skiers dumb enough to ski in avalanche territory need a lobotomy not a lojack.

Hikers need this to attach to their non-hiking spouse to track the spouse when the hiker is out communing with nature. :p

MOWGLI
03-28-2006, 23:11
Yeah, back to the guideline/limit thing. Dang! I am supposed to be organizing a scout overnighter on the AT in May. Maybe if I make it clear that it will be a difficult hike, I can keep the numbers down. :o

I agreed to lead a fall foliage/hawk watching hike in October in New York (Rte 17A to Lakes Road). The group I was working with sent out a press release that included the meeting time and place WITHOUT registration being required. 55 people showed up! This was in the mid 90s. Suffice to say we learned a lesson about publishing hikes that are open to the public.

Midway through the hike my sweep lost a new $400 pair of glasses down a 20' crevasse near Wildcat Shelter. He wanted to climb down and get them. I came back mid week and fetched them with the help of a buddy.

Sly
03-29-2006, 07:21

I wouldn't classify thru-hikers as a "group" per se. Most are independant hikers or couples. When reaching a spot that's already taken thru-hikers have the ability to move on, wherea scout groups normally stick together.

Even "tribes" formed on the trail tend to be less than ten.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2006, 07:51

Yeah. The Georgia AT is trashed. Shelters and campsites are totally overused. What can be done about it? Nothing

Almost There
03-29-2006, 09:25
Surprisingly it looks pretty good around July. Amazing how much it changes.

Tha Wookie
03-29-2006, 10:16
Poor Boy Scouts. They are learning that they can never get away...

:o

LostInSpace
03-29-2006, 11:47

The manufacturer's Web site does not have much information about the transmission technology. Apparently no FCC registration is required. Consequently, based on sketchy info, I suspect that the device uses the cellular network to send SMS text messages. As they claim "store and forward" storage capability, this makes sense. The device uses a GPS engine to create and save a track, and then at some interval, the device transmits the track through the cellular network. Presumably the device is standalone, but that is not clear. Price, $575.

Just Jeff
03-29-2006, 12:08
Hrm...if that's the case it won't even be as useful as a PLB in an emergency. It'll sure tell you where your husband/wife/teenager's car has been, though!

hobbit
03-30-2006, 14:03
[quote=Tin Man]Skiers dumb enough to ski in avalanche territory need a lobotomy not a lojack.

hey man i'm a snowboarder but watch the dumb thing when it comes to others who experience the mountains differently than you do!
:mad:

Disney
03-30-2006, 15:18
Poor Boy Scouts. They are learning that they can never get away...

:o

It's also a good way to teach them that someone is always watching. Gotta love it.

And I for one welcome our new insect overlords. And would like to remind them that as a media personality, I can be useful in recruiting others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

RockyTrail
03-30-2006, 16:34
Whoa, are you sure it's the AT they are hiking on?:-?
The quote doesn't say.

It sounds like a Philmont trip...50 to 80 miles is common trek for them and they are held during June-Aug each year. They usually go out in crews of 7-12, maybe three crews on three different treks.

FYI Philmont is a 200-sq mile Boy Scout backpacking reserve in New Mexico.

RockyTrail
03-30-2006, 16:58
Oops...my mistake, I see the article now.
That is way too many people to have in one spot on the AT at the same time. But sometimes half goes NOBO and half SOBO with a car key swap in the middle, I hope they at least do that, it would cut back to 15 and there's no shuttle required.

Tin Man
03-30-2006, 22:57
[quote=Tin Man]Skiers dumb enough to ski in avalanche territory need a lobotomy not a lojack.

hey man i'm a snowboarder but watch the dumb thing when it comes to others who experience the mountains differently than you do!
:mad:

Dude, no offense meant. Experiencing the mountains or anything else different than others is cool (within reason). Putting your life at risk, potential rescuers lives at risk, and worrying your mother, family, and friends to death is not cool.