PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil weight, real world, not marketing fluff

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 13:31
Weigh your jetboil and post the total weight, with one fuel canister, the pot, the stove, etc?
Basically the COMPLETE deal.

I'm not interested in the marketing numbers put out by jetboil, I want real world weights.

And yes, I've already asked neo (in a PM) to weigh his.

My alcohol stuff is:
Item.............oz.........gm
----------------------------
fuel bottle.....9.312....264
pot & lid........5.679....161
pot cozy.......0.882....25
windscreen....0.776....22
stove...........0.353....10
total...........17.002.....482

If the jetboil is (insert arbitrary number here) heavier, I might consider a switch..

Just Jeff
03-29-2006, 13:40
JetBoil PCS - $80 - 15.125 oz - 428 g
- Weight w/o fuel cannister, with 1L pot, lid, cozy, handle, pot stand, stove, windscreen, heat exchanger, measuring cup (all included with cooking system).

SnowPeak GigaPower 110g Isobutane/Propane Cannister - $3 - 06 oz - 180 g

So a total of ~21 oz with a full cannister. I think Sgt Rock did a study and said that over time (accounting for fuel use over a week, I think) a JB user will carry a few ounces (5-6, maybe?) more than an alkie. There are charts and stuff either on his website or on BPL, too.

For me, it's about convenience...I'll pay that weight penalty.

neo
03-29-2006, 13:44
Weigh your jetboil and post the total weight, with one fuel canister, the pot, the stove, etc?
Basically the COMPLETE deal.

I'm not interested in the marketing numbers put out by jetboil, I want real world weights.

And yes, I've already asked neo (in a PM) to weigh his.

My alcohol stuff is:
fuel bottle.....9.312....264
total...........17.002.....482

If the jetboil is (insert arbitrary number here) heavier, I might consider a switch..

i am not worried about the little extra wt.i love it because it is easy to use,no hassle,no worry operation:cool: neo

i dont care about a little extra wt.

Almost There
03-29-2006, 14:01
Posting Removed (Sorry, the topic is Jetboil and this is the straight forward forum.)

Ender
03-29-2006, 14:07
Go out with your alcohol stove in the winter...try higher elevations...have fun getting to going. I'll cook, eat and go to bed before you even have water boiling.

I've cooked with my alky just fine at 13,000' in 35* weather. It's not the fastest, sure, but it's pretty low stress... pour in fuel, light, cook. No fiddling with gadgetry.

With that said, I am intrigued by the new JB due to come out later with a real cook pot on the top. Would be good for kayaking. Am interested in the weight breakdown on that as well once someone gets it.

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 14:16
OK, people, I'm looking for weights.

Not arguments, not flaming, not studies.

One of you go get your jetboil, place it on the stove, write down what it says, and then post it.

That's it.

I don't see why every single fscking post here needs to turn into a flamefest. I'm simply looking for the weight.

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 14:17
Go out with your alcohol stove in the winter...try higher elevations...have fun getting to going. I'll cook, eat and go to bed before you even have water boiling.

I'm sure that's true. Now, do you think you might be able to rise to the task of weighing it and posting the weight? Or are you content in just posting things that everybody already knows?

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 14:20
- Weight w/o fuel cannister, with 1L pot, lid, cozy, handle, pot stand, stove, windscreen, heat exchanger, measuring cup (all included with cooking system).

Cool. That's about what I thought. Anybody else willing to weigh? One sample does not a study make.

I'm starting to think the same thing.

max patch
03-29-2006, 14:22
Posting Removed (Sorry, the topic is Jetboil and this is the straight forward forum.)

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 14:25

Almost There
03-29-2006, 14:34
I'm sure that's true. Now, do you think you might be able to rise to the task of weighing it and posting the weight? Or are you content in just posting things that everybody already knows?

I could...but I am at work and I don't take my Jetboil with me...unlike Neo loves his hammock...I don't love my Jetboil THAT much.

Besides the fact, I freely admit it weighs more...but I am not a weight Nazi...and besides my big three are already under 10lbs, so I'll deal!!! As long as total pack weight is around 25lbs...who cares!!!

The honest truth...I might not even carry a stove this summer. I hate hot food when I am hot!!!

Almost There
03-29-2006, 14:38

hammock engineer
03-29-2006, 14:38

So a total of ~21 oz with a full cannister. I think Sgt Rock did a study and said that over time (accounting for fuel use over a week, I think) a JB user will carry a few ounces (5-6, maybe?) more than an alkie. There are charts and stuff either on his website or on BPL, too.

Did I miss something or didn't Jeff already post the weights?

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 14:39

Almost There
03-29-2006, 14:40

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 14:42
Did I miss something or didn't Jeff already post the weights?

eh....yes? But an N of one isn't valid.
(for that matter, an N of 3 isn't valid either, but I'd accept that!!)

MOWGLI
03-29-2006, 14:43

Almost There
03-29-2006, 14:44

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 14:49

MOWGLI
03-29-2006, 14:53
OK, can sombody PRETTY PLEASE, WITH SUGAR, and a BIG CHERRY and puppies and kittens and fields of flowers and spice and ice cream and beer and everything else that's nice and will make you feel good on top PLEEEEASE weight their motherfsking jetboil?

Whew.

Yeah, that'll work. :rolleyes:

Mags
03-29-2006, 15:15

You know..this is really bad when a posting is removed with raw figures. Sheesh.

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 15:36

Mags
03-29-2006, 15:45

sdoownek
03-29-2006, 16:11
So my total system is 14 oz roughly for ten days of fuel.

Cool. As listed in my first post, I'm at 17oz for 10 days. Very good results so far, despite the tendency to think this is flamebait.

Questions that still remain to be answered:

I'd like another couple of jetboil system weights for wider comparison.
Given equivilent cooking, does anybody know how long a 6oz canister lasts with a jetboil? In order to make a value based fact decision, all things need to be equal.
Please!
Thank you!

Footslogger
03-29-2006, 16:14
Ya know ...if you guys keep this up I'm gonna have to break down and try and JetBoil.

'Slogger

Homecoming Queen
03-29-2006, 16:16
Sdoownek, there are some good Jetboil reviews on backpackgeartest.org. A couple of the reviews contain the level of detailed information that you may find informative.

Skeemer
03-29-2006, 16:21
26 oz and that's with a small cloth and a couple of uses.:eek:

rgarling
03-29-2006, 16:28
"Given equivilent cooking, does anybody know how long a 6oz canister lasts with a jetboil? In order to make a value based fact decision, all things need to be equal."

>>> efficiency with the jetboil is 4x a typical alcohol stove. In other words, if you use 4 oz (by weight) of alcohol for a cooking task, the jetboil will only use about 1oz.

weight: I have a bad scale, but it indicates slightly less than a pound (no fuel)

bulldog49
03-29-2006, 16:49

Footslogger
03-29-2006, 17:28
Anybody else here reading the other current post regarding JetBoil stove problems. All things said that may be more pertinent than the differences in grams/ounces.

As I was re-reading the posts in this thread I pushed back and tried to remember why I switched to an alcohol stove and ended up using one on my thru. It finally dawned on me that ...all things being equal (or nearly so) what I liked about the alcohol stoves was the quiet simplicity and reliability aspect. To substantiate my point I ended up (and still carry to this day) a Trangia, which everyone knows is probably the heaviest among the alcohol burners. The total combined weight of my stove/cookpot/windscreen combination may well be more than that of a JetBoil but I've been carrying the same Trangia and Ti cookpot and homemade windscreen since about 2001 and haven't had to call customer service once. Oh yeah, and my fuel bottle is a 10oz flat (oval) booze flask that weighs 2oz empty.

I might just try one of these JetBoil gizmos one of these days but after reading about some of the quality issues it won't be right away soon.

'Slogger

Mags
03-29-2006, 18:06

hopefulhiker
03-29-2006, 18:23
The weight of Old style Jetboil with new snowpeak cannister is 1.35 lb.

neo
03-29-2006, 21:20

joel137
03-30-2006, 00:12
My Brand new Jet boil and one small full cannister is 615 grams

or 21.7 oz

Cannister by itself

Jack Tarlin
03-30-2006, 08:29
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this on this thread yet, but when comparing the weights of diffeent stove "systems", don't forget the weight of your fuel bottle WHEN FULL. I've been around hikers for weeks now, many of whom (if not most) have some sort of alcohol stove.....and many of them leave town with 10 12, 16 ounces or more, of fuel, depending upon their needs.

I've already seen several alcohol-stove users seriously discussing the merits of switching over to cannister stoves of some sort, especially those that don't want to wait awhile to eat, or need to boil large ammounts of water.

For people that eat big meals (like double Liptons) or for couples that want to eat together, an alcohol stove is impractical: It takes too long to boil water in quantity, and to do so requires carrying so much fuel from town that it defeats the point of carrying a lightweight stove.

I predict that in the future, more and more folks will leave the "fad" of alcohol stoves, and will be willing to pay a slight weight penalty in order to eat what they want when they want it.

Alcohol stoves work for plenty of folks, but there are lots of people out there who simply don't care for them.

SoundWitness
03-30-2006, 09:47
OK.....did some weighing and testing last night........because of extreme curiousity.......

My total JB "kitchen stove" setup weighs 17.4 oz. This includes the companion cup and burner, plus the pot support and stabilizer accessories that I like to use on occassion. Also included in the weight is a Granite Gear #1 Sil Nylon Air Bag to house the whole thing. NOT INCLUDED is the canister, which i've noticed range from 6.1 to 6.7 ounces in weight....I guess dependind on how much fuel is in them. (JB weighs in their canisters at 3.43 oz??; haven't seen that yet) SO...total with the heaviest new, just off the store shelf, fuel canister....24.1 ounces.

Now...individually...........

*Companion Cup with cozy and lid..............8.7 oz
*Burner assembly....................................6.3 oz
*Pot support..........................................1 .2 oz
*Stabilizer....................................... ......0.9 oz
*GG Sil Nylon Air Bag...............................0.3 oz

The weights seem to be right on target which what the Jetboil specs state on their website. Now the testing............

I took one new canister weighing 6.7 ounces, and began heating H2O to a rolling boil for 30 seconds, in succession, until the canister was empty. The test was done outside on my deck, temperature was 51 degrees, very slight noticable wind. I waited five minutes in between boils, to allow for cooling of the burner and cup. Flame was set at medium at each boil. (or as to "medium" as I could judge) (halfway)

I was able to boil just under 47.5 cups of tap (well) water with that one canister (about 2.9 gallons or 11.2 liters). And for argument sake, the temperature of the water was at 60 degrees. Scientific.......maybe not....good enough for me.....yeah.....

Now is the JB heavy?......a little........convenient?......yeah.......easy to use? I think so......Have I ever had any problems?.....No, not in about 150-175 uses....has fired every time......Will I ever ditch the JB for an alcohol one.....maybe.......we'll see. But for right now...I'll take the weight penalty. Hope this adds to the post.

SW

Footslogger
03-30-2006, 10:05
[quote=Jack Tarlin]I predict that in the future, more and more folks will leave the "fad" of alcohol stoves, and will be willing to pay a slight weight penalty in order to eat what they want when they want it.
=====================================
Hey Jack ...followed everything you said with interest until you put the "fad" label on alcohol stoves. Whether hikers begin to switch over to cannister stoves or not I don't think it's a fair characterization.

Anyhew ...you'r'e point regarding fuel bottle weight is a valid one. I said this once before in another thread but to me what would give cannister stoves an absolute advantage would be if the cannisters themselves could be made refillable.

Other than that ...I own both types and will continue to use both of them depending on the length of my hikes.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
03-30-2006, 11:15
Slogger:

By "fad" I meant that alcohol is fashionable now.....some folks think you're weired or old-fashioned if you're NOT carrying a one-ounce (or less!) stove.

What I meant is that is that while it's popular now, I think this ultralight thing will be polpular for awhile, and will always appeal to some folks, but there are lots of other folks who are willing to pay a minor weight penalty for convenience and the "luxury" of easier cooking/meal preparation, especially the folks who need to boil larger quantities of water as quickly as possible.

(I could also tell you stories of "ultralight" hikers begging for shelter space or expecting tent/tarp owners to move out of shelters in order to give them room, etc., I've already run into ultralighters who are NOT willing to live by the weight rules they've elected for themselves....but that's another post.)

Times' burning, gotta hike. Will write again in a few days.

Mags
03-30-2006, 13:42
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this on this thread yet, but when comparing the weights of diffeent stove "systems", don't forget the weight of your fuel bottle WHEN FULL. I've been around hikers for weeks now, many of whom (if not most) have some sort of alcohol stove.....and many of them leave town with 10 12, 16 ounces or more, of fuel, depending upon their needs.

It was mentioned by several of us (also had agreat post comparing and contrasting the various pluses/minuses of the stoves. White gas vs. alcohol vs. canisters)..but they were deleted. Too straight forward I guess? :)

sdoownek
03-30-2006, 14:24
OK.....did some weighing and testing.... (snip)....Hope this adds to the post.
This is _EXACTLY_ the kind of information that I was looking for. Thank you, VERY much, for going to the trouble (and expense) of testing and weighing.

So with an N of 5, 4 of which are usable data, here's what we're left with:

So a total of ~21 oz with a full canister.

Old style Jetboil new snowpeak canister (21.6oz)

Jet boil and one small full canister is...21.7 oz

total with new fuel canister....24.1 ounces.

Skeemers data is obviously thrown off by the addition of the "small cloth", but since it was weighed and posted, I had to include it....

26 oz with a small cloth and a couple of uses

So, where does that leave me with my question of yesterday morning?
At the scale for a while, deciding how much weight is worth the convenience.
So, I reweighed everything. Come to find out, my numbers were wrong. The fuel was a full 2oz heavier than I thought it was.

My alcohol stuff is: (revised)
fuel bottle.....11.323...321
total...........19.013.....539

That leaves a 3oz difference between _MY_ alcohol stove and a jetboil. That's enough of an incentive for me to get one and see how I like it.
So, thanks whiteblaze, you've given me valuable enough data that I need to spend another, what, $80? :mad:

As mentioned by Mags and Footslogger, I should assume responsibility for all the deleted posts. It was my hope that being posted in the "straight forward" forum would have alleviated a bunch of the bickering that was posted yesterday. That obviously didn't happen and as a result, some pretty valuable data was lost in the editorial cuts.

Finally, I'd ask the admins to NOT delete Jack's two posts. As usual, he brings a voice of reason and sanity, and was able to articulate my exact thoughts and concerns in the origination of this thread in the first place.

Thanks all, your time, effort and patience was very much appreciated.

Mags
03-30-2006, 14:49
As mentioned by Mags and Footslogger, I should assume responsibility for all the deleted posts. It was my hope that being posted in the "straight forward" forum would have alleviated a bunch of the bickering that was posted yesterday. That obviously didn't happen and as a result, some pretty valuable data was lost in the editorial cuts.

I have decided to rewrite my article again and post it on my website. I honestly think my original post was a good, even-handed discussion of the various plusses and minuses of the stove systems.

Already had two people ask for to resend the data I wrote the first time! I do have to recreate all my data (c'est la vie!), but as it with Sdoownek, appreacite the figures people posted that are still available.

(I've copied and pasted them before they get deleted again. :D)

Footslogger
03-30-2006, 14:55
[quote=sdoownek]As mentioned by Mags and Footslogger, I should assume responsibility for all the deleted posts.
====================================
What'd I mention ??

'Slogger

sdoownek
03-30-2006, 15:03
As mentioned by Mags and Footslogger,
What'd I mention ??
'Slogger

your point regarding fuel bottle weight is a valid one. I said this once before in another thread

You were referring to the fact that in a valid comparison, one needs to weigh the fuel as well.

Footslogger
03-30-2006, 15:26
You were referring to the fact that in a valid comparison, one needs to weigh the fuel as well.
==========================
Ah so ...thanks

'Slogger

Just Jeff
03-30-2006, 16:34
One detail - SoundWitness's weight includes the pot support and stabilizer - hence the ~3 oz difference.

sdoownek
03-30-2006, 16:48
One detail - SoundWitness's weight includes the pot support and stabilizer - hence the ~3 oz difference.

Indeed, I missed that! Subtracting out the pot support, stabilizer and bag, that drops it down to 21.7, which is in-line with the other responses.

Thanks for pointing this out.