PDA

View Full Version : Best pot /wind breaker stand for alcohol stove

ncmtns
07-08-2021, 08:33
Looking for lightweight pot stand and wind breaker for my alcohol Starlyte burner and Titan MSR .83 pot and smaller pots. What do you all use? Thanks

Cheyou
07-08-2021, 10:38
Same burner as you ,had him put a bead on my 750 pot it rests on the bead on a ti windscreen. Mostly use Esbit.
Love this kit.
thom

yaduck9
07-08-2021, 14:23
Looking for lightweight pot stand and wind breaker for my alcohol Starlyte burner and Titan MSR .83 pot and smaller pots. What do you all use? Thanks

DIY pot stand. I found the pattern here on Whiteblaze.

cmoulder
07-08-2021, 20:08
I've made them with 5mil (.005") Ti sheet for use with Starlyte and Esbit.

A simple dovetail tab fits into the slot, holes made with a good plier-type punch. Add a piece of aluminum foil for a windscreen.

48414 48415

Deadeye
07-08-2021, 20:49
Here's my set up. Made with 1/2" hardware cloth and aluminum foil. The dish under the stove is cut from a small foil pie pan - it keeps small spills contained, works as a pre-heater if necessary. The stand is less than one ounce. Stove, stand and pot (MSR .9L Titan Kettle) altogether is 6 ounces.

Jonnycat
07-09-2021, 07:59
I also used the hardware cloth circle as a stand with mine. For a windscreen I used aluminum from one of those oven liners (it's thicker than foil). It was fastened together with two paper clips (remember to bring a couple of spares with you), and had some holes punched at the bottom for airflow.

For storage, I wrapped the windscreen around the PETE bottle that I used for transporting the fuel.

Starchild
07-09-2021, 10:40
I have used the Cadara cone to a level of success against wind.

garlic08
07-10-2021, 08:30
I also used hardware cloth for the stand and aluminum foil for the windscreen. I had both materials on hand so cost was nil. The welds in the hardware cloth will eventually fail but it will last a full season of heavy use. Foil needs to be replaced monthly under the same use.

Odd Man Out
07-10-2021, 09:35
I use an Olicamp XTS pot. A simple cylinder od Aluminum flashing is the stand/windscreen. Air hole are only at the bottom. Heat is forced through the heat exchangers in the pot. Not UL, but very powerful and efficient when use with a DIY eCHS stove.

Deadeye
07-10-2021, 11:24
The Sterno Inferno pot also works super well, like the Olicamp. Just use the windscreen and pot, replace the lid with foil or a lid from Dutchware: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/imusa-pot-lids/

It might be an ounce penalty, but rock solid.

Odd Man Out
07-10-2021, 17:00
The Sterno Inferno pot also works super well, like the Olicamp. Just use the windscreen and pot, replace the lid with foil or a lid from Dutchware: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/imusa-pot-lids/

It might be an ounce penalty, but rock solid.

If only that pot were a little bigger. I cook in the pot and the Sterno Inferno seems a bit small. The Olicamp is a bit bigger than I need. The new JB Stash would seem to be the ideal size and weight but it's a lot to pay for a pot.