PDA

View Full Version : Colin Fletcher, the Father of Modern Backpacking

Fëanor
07-16-2021, 09:41
This was a great read.. Never heard of him but his life story was is one for the ages.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/07/colin-fletcher-is-the-father-of-modern-backpacking/

garlic08
07-16-2021, 09:59
Any hiker my age or older was pretty much weaned on Colin Fletcher. It's good to hear his legacy is still alive.

NY HIKER 50
07-16-2021, 14:44
He carried fifty pounds of gear. Those days are over! He carried a svea stove. I had to divest myself in favor of alcohol. He also said to find a blank area on a map and go in to see what's there. No chance of that today. Some of it is now outdated. Meat bars are unavailable for "Flecher stew". Times have changed.

Fëanor
07-16-2021, 14:50
Kind of reminds me of Tipi 😁 48468

Tipi Walter
07-16-2021, 15:05
He did an interview for Backpacker magazine in 1990---

"Worst Night Out Where and Why: "Many. World War II".
"Favorite Fantasy: "A politician-free universe."
"Greatest Fear: "Oddly enough, I think it is being bitten by a rattler when I'm miles from water, and solo."
"Smallest Fear: "Daytime TV resulting in cancer of the brain."
"Favorite Campfire Song: "Silence."

RockDoc
07-16-2021, 16:36
I read his books in the early 1970's and copied his hiking style. Still do...

Deadeye
07-16-2021, 16:54
The old Wilson meat bars aren't around, but Epic meat bars are. https://epicprovisions.com/collections/bars

The bacon bar is really good with the Mushroom risotto from Good to Go dehydrated foods in Maine.

My Dad & I started with Fletcher's "Complete Walker", still a good read, as is his story of hiking the Grand Canyon (the Man Who Walked Through Time)

Hikes in Rain
07-16-2021, 19:59
Good to see. I have many of his books in the library.

dm1333
07-16-2021, 20:04
The old Wilson meat bars aren't around, but Epic meat bars are. https://epicprovisions.com/collections/bars

The bacon bar is really good with the Mushroom risotto from Good to Go dehydrated foods in Maine.

My Dad & I started with Fletcher's "Complete Walker", still a good read, as is his story of hiking the Grand Canyon (the Man Who Walked Through Time)

I'm going to have to check out the bacon bar. I', also going to have to dig up my copy of Complete Walker and The Man Who Walked Through Time and The Thousand Mile Summer. All are highly entertaining and full of wisdom, in my opinion!

Strategic
07-16-2021, 20:51
I'm with that group here that's old enough to have started my backpacking career in the 1970s, reading "The Complete Walker" as our backpacker's bible. Even then, Fletcher espoused a minimalist style that was the precursor of today's ultralight philosophy. Follow his ideas, I trimmed my weight down at a time when my fellow backpackers (Boy Scouts all) were still schlepping around cast iron skillets and other heavyweight gear. Reading his ideas and exploits was a revelation and still forms the basis of my backpacking philosophy today.

foodbag
07-16-2021, 22:03
Colin Fletcher, Earl Shafer, Emma Gatewood, Ray Jardine, and some of the other pioneers of our noble pastime, would be stunned by the evolution of backpacking. The "industry" has become pretty overblown these days. What might they have to say about FKT's, Triple Crowns, You Tube gear videos, Dyneema fabric, padded hipbelts, Guthook apps, cell phones, and the like? They might tell us that we have become spoiled and too much into quantifying the experience v. just doing it for its own sake, and they would be right.

That being said, I'm glad that I no longer have to schlep around a sleeping bag that, when rolled up, had the diameter of a giant jelly roll....

Jonnycat
07-16-2021, 22:35
Colin Fletcher, Earl Shafer, Emma Gatewood, Ray Jardine, and some of the other pioneers of our noble pastime, would be stunned by the evolution of backpacking. The "industry" has become pretty overblown these days. What might they have to say about FKT's, Triple Crowns, You Tube gear videos, Dyneema fabric, padded hipbelts, Guthook apps, cell phones, and the like? They might tell us that we have become spoiled and too much into quantifying the experience v. just doing it for its own sake, and they would be right.

On the one hand, I would like to think that they would be against the widespread acceptance of people promoting and monetizing our trail systems, but on the other hand they did publish and sell books about their experiences, so perhaps it is just another point on a continuum. Still, I don't think they could have imagined it would get to be the way it is now; there was one social media site I came across where they were looking for "Trail Correspondents" to do up-to-date video reports of their hikes. I'm sure there is a certain segment of people who eat that up, but that's not why I make the effort to be "out there".

hobbs
07-17-2021, 01:04
I have a complete Hiker IV that I pick up occastionally... BTW Jardins alive Last i checked..And to give yall some info...Some of the priciples Jardin published were actually already on a small little Handout in Kelty packs when they were a garage gear company and starting out...I know a person knew Jardin back in that time line and is on the west coast and hes a Mountaineer,.

JNI64
07-17-2021, 02:30
Kind of reminds me of Tipi �� 48468

However tipi is 2 × 's the weight : )

JNI64
07-17-2021, 02:58
He did an interview for Backpacker magazine in 1990---

"Worst Night Out Where and Why: "Many. World War II".
"Favorite Fantasy: "A politician-free universe."
"Greatest Fear: "Oddly enough, I think it is being bitten by a rattler when I'm miles from water, and solo."
"Smallest Fear: "Daytime TV resulting in cancer of the brain."
"Favorite Campfire Song: "Silence."

Wondering minds wanna what would be your answers to said questions?

Traveler
07-17-2021, 08:42
Years ago I read the first edition of "The Complete Walker" Fletcher assembled in the late 1960s and read the following versions ending with "The Complete Walker IV" in 2002. I thumbed through these not long ago looking at the changes in each of the editions as gear technology evolved over 30 some odd years. I enjoyed his writing style and spent a significant number of winter nights reading his books cover to cover.

Though by today's standards he carried a lot of weight in his "bloody great sack", one can browse his different editions of the Complete Walker and see he started in the days of wood framed packs, wool socks, and kaki pants, pushing the envelope that would eventually become ultra-light over time. Each edition of the Complete Walker included technology of that time along with pros/cons along with his thoughts on specific items and the overall reduction of weight. The technology required to make much of the gear we carry today was not developed in the 60's through the late 90's. In many ways he was a pioneer in backpacking, at one point he was one of the most discussed authority on the trail overall. I can only imagine what he would have said about the remarkable technologies developed since his last Complete Walker book was published in 2002.

What I liked most about him was the free-spirit approach to backpacking, opting to make his own route across deserts and other wild areas, followed by relating these experiences in his books like "The Thousand Mile Summer". There are still a great number of places where one can find a blank spot on a map and go see what's there, which translates well into what we all are doing pretty much every time we go out and put some dirt under our feet.

Tipi Walter
07-17-2021, 08:58
Back in August 2018 I pulled a 20 day backpacking trip in the mountains of TN/NC and part of my reading material included this pic---

It's a pic of Colin Fletcher's kit---and retrieved from

https://litehikersblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/update-on-colin-fletcher.html

As the blog post says, Fletcher was no Ultralighter. In the trail journal of my trip I described in detail the items on his gear list---

COLIN FLETCHER'S GEAR PICS
Look at the pic and if you're old enough you'll shed a tear of gear remembrance. Let's start at the start of his gear list---
** Binoculars, field 14oz. 'Nocs are a luxury I don't bother with and could care less about but then I don't backpack in the west with its expansive views.
** Paperback book 6oz. Yes, but when I bring my book rolls we're talking about a heck of a lot more than 6oz. Generally I carry between 400 and 600 pages of typing paper; that's heavy but it's all burned during the trip. There's a book pictured in Fletcher's stuff and you can almost imagine the title. Knowing him it's probably something by Friedrich Nietzsche or John Muir---and never burned.
** Compass 5oz. I never carry a compass but then I don't go overland like Fletcher and make my own trails and use a map to come up with routes. The Eastern mountains are a jungle where overland bushwacking is highly discouraging but possible.

** Fly dope 2oz. It's what we call deet or picaridin nowadays and yes I have a few ounces (oh and also a headnet, something he leaves out.
** Cellophane Tape 1oz. Obviously something important and needed when Fletcher was backpacking but no one carries such tape today. He must've needed it for his paper maps. Now we carry ripstop tape for fabric repairs and duct tape for a variety of things including blisters.
** Boot wax 2oz. Again it's not something I carry but I surely have some at home for my Zamberlan full leather winter boots. I coat them generously before a trip and that's about it until I get home.
** Salt Tablets (in phials) 2oz. I carry salt for my soups and oatmeal but quit taking salt tablets after USAF basic training in 1969. (We had salt tablet dispensing machines in the barracks).

** Carborundum Stone 3oz. Yes, I carry something similar, a Smith's knife sharpener with fold out stone rod to sharpen my pruners.
** First Aid Kit 3oz. It's hard to know what's in Fletcher's kit but mine has several useful items like bandaids and sting juice and pain meds and eye sty cream and lip balm etc.
** Wallet 6oz. Wow his wallet is heavy. Mine is not and only consists of paper money wrapped around my driver's license with a rubber band. Measured in grams.
** Flashlight with Batteries 5oz. In Fletcher's day a cheap metal flashlight was about all that was available. You can see his in the picture. We all used such metal flashlights until Mallory came out with their little plastic models and then Mini Mag came out with their aluminum 2 AA flashlights. Now I use a Petzl headlamp with 3 AAA batts and a set as spares.
** String Shirt 9oz. This harkens back to the day when mesh shirts were considered a state of the art baselayer. Now we use fancy poly t-shirts or merino tees or silk or merino or capilene long sleeve tops.

** Bandana 1oz. It's still popular today although I don't like and don't need a bandana and prefer disposable Bounty paper towels instead. Bandanas get filthy and when wet take time to dry and can't be used as toilet paper like with paper towels.
** Snakebit Kit 1oz. Another throwback to another time. Most authorities say a snake kit just doesn't work so I don't carry one (but I do carry Benadryls).
** Small Scarf 1oz. Seems redundant with a bandana but I'm sure Fletcher had some use for it.
** Two Pair Socks 7oz. Now we're talking. I always carry 2 pairs of socks---one for hiking only and one for sleeping only in camp.
** Spare Shirt 9oz. I'm not sure what this could be. A second t-shirt? A warmth baselayer? Hard to know.

** Book Matches (avg 6 books) 1oz. I quit carrying all types of matches back in the 1970s, now it's 2 mini Bics with an emergency spare Bic hidden away).
** Spare Nylon Bootlaces 1oz. Of course, gotta have them just in case.
** Nylon Cord (30 feet) 2oz. Most backpackers carry paracord or some cordage for a bear line to hang their food (along with a carabiner). I quit carrying cordage a couple years ago.
** Waterproof Matchsafe 1oz. Not needed when carrying Bics.
** Spare Spectacles (two flashlight bulbs in case) 4oz. Good idea for those of us who wear glasses although I don't carry a spare.
** Spare Pack Fittings --oz. You'd be an idiot not to take a few extra buckles and especially a spare hip belt buckle cuz you will eventually step on it and it'll break.
** Sleeping Bag (mummy bag) 5 lb 10oz. I carry a down bag thruout the year---some carry quilts---but even in winter my -15F rated bag doesn't come close to 5 lb 10oz.
** Three Half Gallon Water Canteens 2 lb 7oz. I use a 1 liter nalgene and a 2.5 liter platypus bladder. He needed more water out west.
This ends now but will resume later.

BACK TO FLETCHER
** Steel Sierra Cup 3oz. I still have my Sierra Cup from the 1970s but I don't carry it anymore. I think all older backpackers used to carry this cup because it just seemed like an awesome piece of gear.
** Margarine Container (with 4oz margarine) 6oz. I shouldn't include his food on the list because we all carry food and his choices are arbitrary and not as important as his gear.
** Two Nesting Cooking Pots 1 lb 4oz. Why he needs 2 pots apparently with lids is unknown. I get by with a single pot.
** Can Opener 1/2oz. I don't see it in the pic so it could be very small like the P38 can opener.
** Sheath Knife 6oz. Another heavy thing I don't carry. I have a penknife at about 1/2 oz.
** Spoon 2oz. I carry 2 spoons---one will always break.
Let's take a break.

OKAY BACK TO FLETCHER
** Fork (eventually discarded) 1oz. Yes, no one carries a fork.
** Salt and Pepper Holder 2oz. Odd addition since he also carries salt tablets.
** Plastic Sugar Container (with 1 lb Sugar) 1 lb 2oz. Wow, that's alot of sugar but heck I carry at least 3 lbs of honey myself.
** Three 8oz pkg. dehydrated fruit 1 lb 8oz. Hard to know what this could be as he lists raisins later. Apples? Dates? Figs? Apricots? Prunes?
** Three 3oz pkg. dehydrated Soup 9oz. Food, folks.
** Plastic Detergent Container (later changed) 2oz. Before the Age of Bronners.
** One pkg. dehydrated vegetables 8oz.
** Three 8oz pkg. dehydrated potatoes 1 lb 8oz. Good to go.
** Tea Bags (about 20) (to right of pot) 2oz.
** Carton Dried Milk 11oz.
** Package Dry Cereal 1lb 0oz.
** Three Bars Mint Cake 1 lb 3oz.
** Three Cakes Pemmican (one shown) 12oz.
** Raisins (small pkg. shown) 1 lb 0oz.
** 'Office' (writing materials) (above cameras) 12oz.
** Camera, Super Baldax 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 2 lb 0oz.
** Camera, Super Regent, 35mm 1 lb 10oz.

A RETURN TO COLIN FLETCHER'S GEAR LIST
** K2 Filter in Case 2oz. This is part of his camera gear.
** Camera Lens Brush 1oz.
** 6 Rolls B&W Film, 120 7oz.
** 6 Rolls Color Film, 135 9oz. Way before digital.
** Exposure Meter 6oz.
** Camera Tripod 14oz. His total photography weight comes to 6 lbs.
** Toilet Articles (extreme upper right) 14oz. I suppose this includes toothbrush and soap and toothpaste and preparation H? Condoms?
** Moccasins 1 lb 2oz. I use crocs instead.
** Toilet Paper 7oz. I use paper towels.
** Towel 2oz.
** Whipcord Pants 1 lb 15 oz.
** Shorts 3oz.
** Woolen Sweater 2 lb 2oz.
** Poncho (on which gear is laid out) 1 lb 3oz.
** Walking Staff --oz. Curiously he doesn't mention the weight and it's wood and looks heavy.
** Pack (not shown) 3 lb 10oz. I think he used a Trailwise pack from Ski Hut in California.
Total weight not including up to 12 lbs water---44 lb 7oz. Add the water and we're talking 56 lbs 7oz! Ultralighters take note! This doesn't even list his stove or tent or "additional mountain equipment". That comes in my next installment.

ADDITIONAL MOUNTAIN EQUIPMENT
I guess we can conclude my discussion of Colin Fletcher's backpacking gear---
** He lists it as both "additional" and "mountain" which is confusing. Mountain vs Desert?
** First item is "Tent, Stakes, Poles 3 lb 1oz." No mention of the brand of tent and inquiring minds want to know.
** Parka 1 lb 6oz. It sort of looks like an anorak.
** Long Johns 9oz. Again, no mention if it's cotton or what.
** Heavy Woolen Shirt 1 lb 0oz.
** Woolen Helmet (balaclava) 3oz.
** Woolen Gloves 4oz.
** Fishing Accessories 6oz.
** Fly Reel 7oz.
** Fly Rod 4oz.
** Fly-Rod Case, aluminum 9oz.
** Heavy Woolen Socks 5oz.
** Heavy Woolen Scarf 5oz.
** Spinning Reel 9oz.
** Gasoline Stove with Cover 1 lb 2oz. Looks to be a Svea 123.
** White Gasoline Container 4oz.
TOTAL ALL GEAR (less water) 55 lb 1oz. Add water and it's 67 lbs!!! Wow. And add real food weight for several weeks (and not his minimum food listed "for one week") and he'd be carrying my kind of weight, probably more. Like adding 3 weeks of food. I think his camera weight alone comes to 6 lbs.

BlackCloud
07-17-2021, 11:29
The Complete Walker III is an American classic and must read for anyone who backpacks and can read. The gear may be passé but the writing will never be.

Fëanor
07-17-2021, 12:34
there was one social media site I came across where they were looking for "Trail Correspondents" to do up-to-date video reports of their hikes. I'm sure there is a certain segment of people who eat that up, but that's not why I make the effort to be "out there".

is it by any chance TikTok? :D

But you're right backpacking has gone to the next level, especially with tech, apps ect.. way too commercialized and exploited where it has become a cash cow .

Fëanor
07-17-2021, 12:43
However tipi is 2 × 's the weight : )

no doubt tipi is a throwback backpacker... but 100 lbs is a bit too much..

Tipi Walter
07-17-2021, 14:11

Not sure about "throwback" but there are modern backpackers carrying tremendous loads for long duration trips.

One is Tully Henke who pulled a 40 day backpacking trip in Russia with no resupply and with a 95 lb pack.

https://backpackinglight.com/packing-light-95-pounds-russia-no-resupply-tully-henke/

His best quote is this---

"Instead of the desire to carry less and go further, (it's)the desire to carry more and go longer."

Amen, brother. I call it Expedition Backpacking.

Other excellent quotes are these---

"Instead of shaving weight to have the lightest pack possible, you choose the heaviest pack you’re willing to carry and go backwards from there to see how many days you can spend in the wilds."

"We all have different goals in our adventures. Some of us want to move fast, some far, some light. I’ve found that one of the things I value most is the time I spend in the mountains and the woods and even a tent. Sometimes that means packing differently and sometimes that means working hard and slow and pausing to let it all soak in."

JNI64
07-17-2021, 14:19

Oh how you underestimate uncle fungus.

TwoSpirits
07-17-2021, 14:42
no doubt tipi is a throwback backpacker... but 100 lbs is a bit too much..A bit too much for...?

Jonnycat
07-17-2021, 16:58
** Compass 5oz. I never carry a compass but then I don't go overland like Fletcher and make my own trails and use a map to come up with routes.

11g for my little compass. I bring it along even if I am sticking to a trail, and it can be very useful before heading off trail to set up camp, along with making sure you picked the right trail after a fork (of course this assumes.

is it by any chance TikTok? :D

I had to dig through my history for the name, it was a personality cult site called "thetrek". I only learned of it and guthooks recently, but once my blood pressure started to spike I knew enough to quickly close the page. :eek:

yaduck9
07-17-2021, 17:20
He carried fifty pounds of gear. Those days are over! He carried a svea stove. I had to divest myself in favor of alcohol. He also said to find a blank area on a map and go in to see what's there. No chance of that today. Some of it is now outdated. Meat bars are unavailable for "Flecher stew". Times have changed.

What I found interesting is that while he did question the idea of ultralight backpacking, he would incorporate some lightweight options. In desert climates he used a poncho/tarp as rain gear and shelter. Today it would be a Gatewood Cape. And in another trip discussion he wrote about his "tin can kitchen", utilizing a recycled steel food can as a kettle with a wood fire. Shades of a beer can pot and Ray Jardine fire. He always documented the weight of each item, so he was concerned about weight. Fletcher was was an interesting contradiction for me. Outwardly, he disliked ultralight but yet...........

NY HIKER 50
07-17-2021, 21:13
I did say that this was outdated. No one wears waffle stompers any more unless they are in a situation that requires them *trail runners now). Fly reel? Need a license in most places. Yep, we've come a long way. If you're using an internal frame pack you could soon be in trouble. Yes, it's a good idea to carry an extra buckle though. Mint cake? We can do much better today. I simply use napkins from restaurants for tp. Today most of us use soda bottles (I started using the well before Ray. Catskills anyone?) And that's all from me for now.

Fëanor
07-18-2021, 09:33
A bit too much for...?

strictly speaking for Me! ...you dont see that often that kind of weight been hauled around, at least I haven't seen it. It does not mean that there aren't any people who do.

Fëanor
07-18-2021, 09:44
Not sure about "throwback" but there are modern backpackers carrying tremendous loads for long duration trips.

One is Tully Henke who pulled a 40 day backpacking trip in Russia with no resupply and with a 95 lb pack.

https://backpackinglight.com/packing-light-95-pounds-russia-no-resupply-tully-henke/

His best quote is this---

"Instead of the desire to carry less and go further, (it's)the desire to carry more and go longer."

Amen, brother. I call it Expedition Backpacking.

Other excellent quotes are these---

"Instead of shaving weight to have the lightest pack possible, you choose the heaviest pack you’re willing to carry and go backwards from there to see how many days you can spend in the wilds."

"We all have different goals in our adventures. Some of us want to move fast, some far, some light. I’ve found that one of the things I value most is the time I spend in the mountains and the woods and even a tent. Sometimes that means packing differently and sometimes that means working hard and slow and pausing to let it all soak in."

Thanks for info Tipi! :)
I dont deny that there are backpackers who do that but aside from expeditions who have to that kind of loads how many hikers carry such loads?

PS I dont mean any negative connotation when I say "throwback" but what I mean is yesteryear ultralight dint exist per se, loads were much heavier..

Fëanor
07-18-2021, 09:54

I also believe these quotes have more in common with Campers not backpackers, why would you carry more to go less further... :-? unless im misinterpreting the meaning..

4eyedbuzzard
07-18-2021, 10:03
Oh how you underestimate uncle fungus.Yeah, in the beginning he gets under your skin sometimes and might smell a little funny - but he grows on you. :D

JNI64
07-18-2021, 10:18

I also believe these quotes have more in common with Campers not backpackers, why would you carry more to go less further... :-? unless im misinterpreting the meaning..

If you don't get it by now no one can explain it to you. Think it's about the journey not the destination and maybe some luxury items of course.

JNI64
07-18-2021, 10:20
The second paragraph says it all!!

4eyedbuzzard
07-18-2021, 10:26
Fletcher obviously carried loads larger than what would be considered normal today, largely do to the tech and materials available in his day. But as Tipi Walter noted, he was no ultra-lighter even in his day, and would also carry pounds upon pounds of what could be considered somewhat optional and/or back-up stuff - but then cut the handle off his toothbrush to save a few grams. Proving, if anything, in some ways he was as crazy as the rest of us.

Fëanor
07-18-2021, 10:44
This summer a friend of mine and I decided to make our ultralight gear seem a little ironic and carry 95 lbs (43 kg) on our backs.

Tully is a bad example, he only did it once, seems like an experiment. Tipi is the exemption..

Again, this post was to honor Colin Fletcher, a backpacking icon, not compare Tipis weigh loads(JNI64)! How some of you knuckleheads take the context of these threads to bolster you egos is pretty FU!

JNI64
07-18-2021, 11:06
This summer a friend of mine and I decided to make our ultralight gear seem a little ironic and carry 95 lbs (43 kg) on our backs.

Tully is a bad example, he only did it once, seems like an experiment. Tipi is the exemption..

Again, this post was to honor Colin Fletcher, a backpacking icon, not compare Tipis weigh loads(JNI64)! How some of you knuckleheads take the context of these threads to bolster you egos is pretty FU!

Thank you for the kind comments, same to you!

Tipi Walter
07-18-2021, 11:52
Thanks for info Tipi! :)
I dont deny that there are backpackers who do that but aside from expeditions who have to that kind of loads how many hikers carry such loads?

PS I dont mean any negative connotation when I say "throwback" but what I mean is yesteryear ultralight dint exist per se, loads were much heavier..

Some backpacking loads were very light back in the day. Peruse the fine two volume set "Hiking The Appalachian Trail" and you'll find some outstanding gear pics.

Here is Jim Shattuck's tent set up in 1966. That's a minimal one person shelter---and the pack is very light with a minimal harness system.

Here is Giger's kit from 1969(photo by Andrew J. Giger).

Here is Allen's kit from 1960(photo by Owen F. Allen).

hobbs
07-18-2021, 14:03
Tippi Thanks for the Posting of the Backpacking light post and this picture from that book. Gives much to think about with Fletcher. I really never cared what other people carried for weight.Still dontthats totally up to them. People who hiked the trail in the 70 and 80 I like to hear and see what they carried that interests me..I was a teen back then and backpacking...

CalebJ
07-19-2021, 09:01
Ultralight has become relatively common these days, but it's not new.

BlackCloud
07-19-2021, 10:31
What parking lot is he in?

BlackCloud
07-19-2021, 10:31
based on the light blue wood sign over his right shoulder I'm thinking somewhere along the BRP

Fëanor
07-19-2021, 11:54
Some backpacking loads were very light back in the day. Peruse the fine two volume set "Hiking The Appalachian Trail" and you'll find some outstanding gear pics.

Here is Jim Shattuck's tent set up in 1966. That's a minimal one person shelter---and the pack is very light with a minimal harness system.

Here is Giger's kit from 1969(photo by Andrew J. Giger).

Here is Allen's kit from 1960(photo by Owen F. Allen).

Thanks Tipi good stuff! just look at all those ultralight gear! It looks like those are aluminum pans...?

Fëanor
07-19-2021, 11:55
Ultralight has become relatively common these days, but it's not new.

Yep! as im learning! Thanks CalebJ :)

Jonnycat
07-19-2021, 14:21
I'm really impressed with that Giger setup, even though the gear is old it rivals modern day UL backpackers in its minimalism and attention to weight. I noticed that he made sure to include a first aid kit as well.

Toolshed
07-19-2021, 15:53
Colin Fletcher "the Complete Walker" was my inspiration after I got out of the military in '81 and picked up my old boy scout pack. I also loved his "The man who walked through Time". Th only 2 other writers I thought were in his caliber were Ed Abbey and Jon Krakaur (His early stuff). I still use Fletcher's term of "Gear Festooned Across Your Pack" and still harden my feet with rubbing alcohol before longer hikes.

cmoulder
07-19-2021, 19:50
Last year I read a biography of Horace Kephart titled Back of Beyond (https://www.amazon.com/Back-Beyond-Horace-Kephart-Biography/dp/0937207942), a thoroughly documented book about this key figure in Smoky Mountain history, wherein was referenced a camping tome written by Thomas Hiram Holding that was published in 1908. Holding was British and apparently UL had taken hold across the pond sometime before, and Kephart was corresponding regularly with him and was enthralled with the concept of traveling lightly in the woods.

Holding's book has the scintillating title The Camper's Handbook (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0341874191/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I've ordered it and it should be an interesting read.

DrewBoswell
07-20-2021, 06:13
Fletcher stands out as an inspiration even today, not necessarily for his gear, but for his writing and his attitude: clear, bold and opinionated.

cmoulder
07-20-2021, 06:42
Fletcher stands out as an inspiration even today, not necessarily for his gear, but for his writing and his attitude: clear, bold and opinionated.
No doubt. The Complete Walker was the backpacking bible for a good long while, and I think I still have a copy of the third edition in a box somewhere, along with Freedom of the Hills (I think edition two).

NY HIKER 50
07-20-2021, 07:46
Last year I read a biography of Horace Kephart titled Back of Beyond (https://www.amazon.com/Back-Beyond-Horace-Kephart-Biography/dp/0937207942), a thoroughly documented book about this key figure in Smoky Mountain history, wherein was referenced a camping tome written by Thomas Hiram Holding that was published in 1908. Holding was British and apparently UL had taken hold across the pond sometime before, and Kephart was corresponding regularly with him and was enthralled with the concept of traveling lightly in the woods.

I wonder how untralight worked back then. They were using heavy canvas for tents and other items. Someone can put me right on what was used as light shelter unless it was built from trees.

cmoulder
07-20-2021, 08:07

I wonder how untralight worked back then. They were using heavy canvas for tents and other items. Someone can put me right on what was used as light shelter unless it was built from trees.
I don't know... it might start off with "First, you chop down 3 spruce trees...." :-?

Hikes in Rain
07-20-2021, 09:35
Some of the did pretty well at "ultralight" for over 100 years ago. If you read Woodcraft and Camping by Nessmuk (George Washington Sears), the author makes the claim that his canoe, extra clothing, blanket-bag, two days rations, pocket axe, fishing rod and backpack never exceeded 26 lb. That weight had to be in the summer season, and even then I take it with a grain of salt, but we're not talking huge weights here considering the materials available then. Definitely not leave-no-trace, but not at all bad considering the type of materials. And the book does caution for conservation; he laments the destruction of a favorite campsite due to overuse. Here's a link to a description of some of his gear: https://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-george-washington-searsnessmuk.html

No Match
07-20-2021, 10:14
I was waiting to see if someone knew of how Colin died. He was a past backpacking hero of mine, so I kept up with him and his books. Very unfortunately, he was struck by a vehicle while 'walking' near his home in Monterey, CA. He walked everywhere he could, and he got hit. That was in 2001 and he never recovered from his injuries, which were blamed on his death in 2007. That is like the Triple Crowner who took his grandson to a soccer game and got hit by lighting. Life, and if your waiting for it to be fair, you just lost.

This was a great read.. Never heard of him but his life story was is one for the ages.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/07/colin-fletcher-is-the-father-of-modern-backpacking/

Hikes in Rain
07-20-2021, 13:01
I did know that. Very sad, and not fair. Should have been on a trail, gone to bed and woke up dead. But as you pointed out, life isn't.

NY HIKER 50
07-20-2021, 14:04
Some of the did pretty well at "ultralight" for over 100 years ago. If you read Woodcraft and Camping by Nessmuk (George Washington Sears), the author makes the claim that his canoe, extra clothing, blanket-bag, two days rations, pocket axe, fishing rod and backpack never exceeded 26 lb. That weight had to be in the summer season, and even then I take it with a grain of salt, but we're not talking huge weights here considering the materials available then. Definitely not leave-no-trace, but not at all bad considering the type of materials. And the book does caution for conservation; he laments the destruction of a favorite campsite due to overuse. Here's a link to a description of some of his gear: https://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-george-washington-searsnessmuk.html

I think the key word here is canoe. Unless he porteged it some miles.

Tipi Walter
07-20-2021, 14:51
Regarding Nessmu--everyone knows about Horace Kephart. His winter pack weight was between 50-60 lbs---his sleeping bag weighed 8 lbs.

https://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-horace-kephart.html

Jonnycat
07-20-2021, 16:00
Very unfortunately, he was struck by a vehicle while 'walking' near his home in Monterey, CA. He walked everywhere he could, and he got hit. That was in 2001 and he never recovered from his injuries, which were blamed on his death in 2007.

Whenever people tell me I'm crazy for running off into the woods by myself, I tell them that the most dangerous part of the trip is just getting to the trailhead.

Seatbelt
07-20-2021, 16:49
Whenever people tell me I'm crazy for running off into the woods by myself, I tell them that the most dangerous part of the trip is just getting to the trailhead.

I agree, this and crossing roads while hiking.

4eyedbuzzard
07-20-2021, 18:19

I agree, this and crossing roads while hiking.

Crossing the Palisades Parkway in NY at rush hour can be an unforgettable AT experience. Route 7 in VA is said to be pretty bad as well. There used to be an equally dangerous one in NJ, but I think the crossing was rerouted - I forget which highway it was.

dm1333
07-20-2021, 18:28

I can't find my book about Gramma Gatewood but evidently on her first hike she carried a shower curtain. Not sure if that was her tent or sleeping bag.

NY HIKER 50
07-20-2021, 18:52
I can't find my book about Gramma Gatewood but evidently on her first hike she carried a shower curtain. Not sure if that was her tent or sleeping bag.

We all know about that. She was increadable.

NY HIKER 50
07-20-2021, 18:55
Crossing the Palisades Parkway in NY at rush hour can be an unforgettable AT experience. Route 7 in VA is said to be pretty bad as well. There used to be an equally dangerous one in NJ, but I think the crossing was rerouted - I forget which highway it was.

I complained about this to the NY/NJ Trail Conference. I tried crossing and a car sped up on purpose and got in the lane where I was crossing I now walk about .5 to 1 mi. to the crossing near the bookstore. The Parkway necks down there and it's a little safer. Anyone else?

cmoulder
07-21-2021, 06:55
I complained about this to the NY/NJ Trail Conference. I tried crossing and a car sped up on purpose and got in the lane where I was crossing I now walk about .5 to 1 mi. to the crossing near the bookstore. The Parkway necks down there and it's a little safer. Anyone else?

I live close by and have crossed the Palisades Parkway a fair number of times, at the AT crossing and at Pyngyp and maybe others. The saving grace is that there's a median between north- and south-bound lanes so you only have to worry about traffic from one direction at a time, but there's no such thing as casually sauntering across. Even if you don't see any traffic it is not unusual to have cars going 80mph so it's best to always treat the situation with urgency and get your ass across it pronto.

But, that has got to be one of the most unusual places on the AT for a hiker sign-in box.

cmoulder
07-21-2021, 07:17
As today, it seems they deluded themselves with what I call FSW, which is Fantastical Spreadsheet Weight... or the equivalent thereof in ye olde dayes.

Nowadays, if anybody wants to play that game I keep a digital luggage scale in the car for obtaining TPW at the trail head.

peakbagger
07-21-2021, 08:38
FYI with respect to the parkway crossing

https://www.change.org/p/andrew-m-cuomo-wildlife-pedestrian-bridge-over-palisades-parkway-in-harriman-state-park

Miner
07-24-2021, 15:20
Colin Fletcher may be the father or traditional backpacking as expressed up to the first part of the 1990's, but, I thought Ray Jardine was the father of "Modern" backpacking that is used today. When I look at most long distance hikers, I'm seeing more Jardine's philosophies than Fletcher in their approach. Though Fletcher may be a bit more diplomatic in his writing, especially the early Jardine stuff (The Ray way or the highway) and his insistence on removing brand names from gear.

cmoulder
07-25-2021, 06:51
Colin Fletcher may be the father or traditional backpacking as expressed up to the first part of the 1990's, but, I thought Ray Jardine was the father of "Modern" backpacking that is used today. When I look at most long distance hikers, I'm seeing more Jardine's philosophies than Fletcher in their approach. Though Fletcher may be a bit more diplomatic in his writing, especially the early Jardine stuff (The Ray way or the highway) and his insistence on removing brand names from gear.

Jardine and Golite definitely changed the way I looked at things.

NY HIKER 50
07-25-2021, 07:23
Jardine and Golite definitely changed the way I looked at things.

I was about to finally buy a pack but by that time they were gone.

cmoulder
07-25-2021, 07:33
I was about to finally buy a pack but by that time they were gone.

Well there's always My Trail Company....... uh, wait.... :rolleyes:

NY HIKER 50
07-25-2021, 17:31
Well there's always My Trail Company....... uh, wait.... :rolleyes:

Here and gone, then here and gone. I've checked. I'm now using something that most people don't think of. The continental rucksack.

NY HIKER 50
07-29-2021, 11:18
I live close by and have crossed the Palisades Parkway a fair number of times, at the AT crossing and at Pyngyp and maybe others. The saving grace is that there's a median between north- and south-bound lanes so you only have to worry about traffic from one direction at a time, but there's no such thing as casually sauntering across. Even if you don't see any traffic it is not unusual to have cars going 80mph so it's best to always treat the situation with urgency and get your ass across it pronto.
But, that has got to be one of the most unusual places on the AT for a hiker sign-in box.
I just checked with Palisades Interstate Parks Commission. They told me a lot of the park is now taken over by the AMC. They took over the bookstore at Reeves Meadow and other places. Expect to see caretakers and fees charged eventually at the shelters and other parts of the park. They don't even want anyone coming to the lodge there unless you're paying. Nuff said.

The Snowman
07-29-2021, 19:16
The park commission is just not day guest friendly here sorry to say. Its still a great new AMC camp for those who want a overnight experence.