PDA

View Full Version : Good hikes in the Catskills?

sleepwalker
03-29-2006, 21:24
I hope I can get a little help from the NY'ers and northerners here. I just got a new job and I'll have a week off in between quitting and starting so I'm hoping to get a few days out. I've done a lot of day hikes and weekends in the catskills, but I'm hoping to find a good loop or end-to-end that will take three days or so in the Catskills.

Also, I'm interested in the conditions if you're aware(ice, etc...). Thanks!

MOWGLI
03-30-2006, 07:54
I hope I can get a little help from the NY'ers and northerners here. I just got a new job and I'll have a week off in between quitting and starting so I'm hoping to get a few days out. I've done a lot of day hikes and weekends in the catskills, but I'm hoping to find a good loop or end-to-end that will take three days or so in the Catskills.

Also, I'm interested in the conditions if you're aware(ice, etc...). Thanks!

The Cornell, Slide, Wittenberg loop is a dandy. Check here (http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/ideas/wittenberg-cornell-slide-trip.cfm)for some info on the hike.

MOWGLI
03-30-2006, 08:00
Here's a better link containing a topo (http://chayden.net/Catskills/WittenbergCornellSlide2003/index.html)file.

Kevin A. Boyce
03-30-2006, 13:24
There is also the Devils Path Trail that will make for a few days of good hiking, also the Escarpment Trail in the northen end of the Catskills.

I was up on Slide two weekends ago and there was still plenty of snow up top on the trails. We were able to bareboot the whole time, no need really for crampons or snow snoes. There were a few sections that some sort of traction device would have been nice, but honestly not needed if you just slow down a moment and watch your footing.

After the warmth this week, and the lack of any precip, I am sure there will be some muddy sections due to snow melt, but only in localized areas. Check out the website www.viewsfromthetop.com (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com) for more recent trail reports and information.

Have a good hike!
KevBoy

sleepwalker
03-30-2006, 13:55
awesome! Thanks

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:33
Mcquest aand I just got back from completeing that loop. An excellent time. I recommend starting from the Giant Ledges end of the loop, overnighting @ Terrence Mtn. lean-to, then attacking wittenberg, cornell, then finally slide. It's the most aggresive approach. Once you go over slide, you get a nice easy grade to the bottom. We left tuesday morning, finished around 4 o'clock the next day. We had time to goof around, and also some serious hiking. Day 2 was full of sheer face scrambling, ice, and snow. A total blast!

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:34
This this tues.-wed.

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:34
This past tues.-wed., I mean...

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:41
another nice one is Hunter mtn. There's a stiff attack, then smooth sailing with smaller but nice views, lots of wildlife, an if you stay at the lean-to, a porcupine that will try to get into bed with you all night long. Some mice, too. There are tons of black bear here, though, be sure to cook away from camp, and don't use the little stream by the shelter to wash your pots in. You might get a late night visit like we did. Take your time on this one, it's not long. there is a bushwhack to a second peak from the first lean-toon the north side of the loop, if you want to go an extra distance, but it's pretty thick bush.

MOWGLI
04-03-2006, 10:45
I did the loop in a torrential downpour back in '93 or '95 (I forget). About 10" of rain fell during the day. About every couple of hundred yards a raging torrent was running across the trail. It was hairy to say the least. I learned a lesson that day. While walking downhill with the hood of my poncho delpoyed, I walked into a boulder jutting out into the trail. I clocked me square on the forehead and nearly knocked me cold.

I suggest anyone interested in hiking in New York pick up the New York Walk Book (http://www.nynjtc.org/pubs/books/nywb/index.html)from the NY/NJ Trail Conference. In many ways, that book is the catalyst that caused me to become a hiker. When I was a kid, I'd stare at the maps for hours on end.

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:46
did this happen on the slide mtn loop?

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:46
Mcquest and

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:48
We did Big Indian a couple years back during a hurricane. We didn't catch a ton of weather, but the mtn was flooded, we had a few dicey crossings and got soaked through to the bone. Beautiful, though..

MOWGLI
04-03-2006, 10:49
I did the loop in a torrential downpour back in '93 or '95 (I forget). About 10" of rain fell during the day.
It was 7/14/96 and the storm was the remnants of Hurricane Bertha. I remember singing "Bertha don't ya come around here, anymore" after that one!

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:51
It was 7/14/96 and the storm was the remnants of Hurricane Bertha. I remember singing "Bertha don't ya come around here, anymore" after that one!
On Slide, though? If so, must've been a rough one. We were quite surprised at the the difficulty of those last three peaks...

longshank
04-03-2006, 10:52
Sleepwalker, try the Devil's Path for a longer adventure.

KirkMcquest
04-03-2006, 11:26
Or big indian, which is the blue trail ( not a loop unfortunately). Get the five piece catskills map set, do a search online, it outlines all these treks in detail.

MOWGLI
04-03-2006, 11:54
On Slide, though? If so, must've been a rough one. We were quite surprised at the the difficulty of those last three peaks...

I don't think we made it all the way to Slide that day, although that was our intention. We were staying at the DEC Campsite in the valley below. It was pretty dicey being in the woods that afternoon. The area was declared a disaster after the storm. Several roads (bridges) were washed away due to the ensuing flood.

Bertha was a BITCH.

longshank
04-03-2006, 12:05
I don't think we made it all the way to Slide that day, although that was our intention. We were staying at the DEC Campsite in the valley below. It was pretty dicey being in the woods that afternoon. The area was declared a disaster after the storm. Several roads (bridges) were washed away due to the ensuing flood.

Bertha was a BITCH.
Yeah, slide comes after those. It's too bad you didn't make it up there. It's the most challenging leg of the hike, and possibly has some of the best views in the park.

lbbrown
04-03-2006, 13:10
We did the Slide-Cornell-Wittenburg last August. Beautiful hike but it kicked our butts! Can't wait to go back.

longshank
04-06-2006, 10:00
We did the Slide-Cornell-Wittenburg last August. Beautiful hike but it kicked our butts! Can't wait to go back.
Did you start with wittenberg or Slide? I find saving Slide for last way more satisfying.

Cookerhiker
04-07-2009, 16:45
I pulled out this old thread because I'll be up in the Catskills later in the month and have one full day available for a day hike. Some good ideas on this thread. Anyone have any other favorite hikes there?

YoungMoose
04-07-2009, 19:05
I suggest anyone interested in hiking in New York pick up the New York Walk Book (http://www.nynjtc.org/pubs/books/nywb/index.html)from the NY/NJ Trail Conference. In many ways, that book is the catalyst that caused me to become a hiker. When I was a kid, I'd stare at the maps for hours on end.i stare at the maps too. hehe

A-Train
04-13-2009, 18:45
Anyone recommend a safe place to leave a car for 4 nights in the Catskills?

Specifically, anywhere in Hunter, Tannersville or Palenville or a trailhead near there?

Thanks

A-Train
04-15-2009, 22:05
Anyone recommend a safe place to leave a car for 4 nights in the Catskills?

Specifically, anywhere in Hunter, Tannersville or Palenville or a trailhead near there?

Thanks

Sure. I just parked at the Long Path lot outside of Palenville on rt 23 overnight and had no issues.

A-Train
04-15-2009, 22:09
I pulled out this old thread because I'll be up in the Catskills later in the month and have one full day available for a day hike. Some good ideas on this thread. Anyone have any other favorite hikes there?

Just getting my feet wet up there. Spent the last 2 days on the Long Path/Escarpment trail north of rt 23 doing a big loop around North/South Lake Campground and up to Blackhead Mtn. Blackhead range would be too much for a day, but the loop around the lakes would be a nice long day hike with lots of views.

The Cornell, Wittenburg, Slide loop is another great one, but pretty taxing and will be a long day.