PDA

View Full Version : Deodorant....must or bust?

Limbohiker
03-30-2006, 00:13
How many of you use deodorant on the trail? is this common sense? I feel like ud be going through one stick in a week but then again pits get sticky without deodorant.....
i feel like if i took brought deodorant along hikers would think i was a girlie girl that cant live without her vanity items....totally not true by the way

Chavens
03-30-2006, 00:19
No way...the odor is all a part of the hike!:D Plus, deodorant attracts insects like crazy. If you think gnats in PA are bad normally, try hiking with tons of smelly stuff all over you.

mambo_tango
03-30-2006, 00:24
Surely there must be a scentless anti-perspirant? I guess I am a girlie girl than.

SGTdirtman
03-30-2006, 00:27
Thats totally a personal preference... No one is going to be offended by you smelling bad on the trail. plus deoderant probably wont work long hiking anyway so why bother. Rinsing off as often as possible is all you need in my opinion.

Just Jeff
03-30-2006, 00:41
A note about deodorant - it's made to be washed off regularly.

Bacteria breaking down the sweat is what causes the stink. Deodorant works by coating the bacteria before they get a chance to break it down. Then you wash it away and you're all clean. If you don't wash it away, though, the bacteria stays there and begins to decay - in your pits. That can cause rashes and possibly even skin infections.

Easy fix, though - showers are usually only a few days apart on the AT so it's not a huge deal. But it still might help to use a wet bandana or wetwipe to clean out the bacteria between showers.

Anti-perspirant works a bit differently (denies the bateria their food), but can still cause rashes if you don't clean your pits every day or three.

Whatever - I usually put on deodorant the morning I leave for a hike, then don't think about it again until I get home. No need for it on the trail, and the scented stuff just attracts bugs. YMMV.

Lone Wolf
03-30-2006, 06:36
You don't need no stinkin deodorant. I haven't used any in over 25 years.

bfitz
03-30-2006, 06:55
You can't be serious. Unless it keeps away mosquitos or something...

Footslogger
03-30-2006, 10:10
My only question is WHY ?? It's kinda funny but once you're out on the trail for a while it's the absence of perfumes and scents that you appreciate. Whenever you'r'e close to a town/road crossing and a day hiker passes that "clean and fresh" scent seems foreign and out of place.

'Slolgger

Tha Wookie
03-30-2006, 10:21
I'm with wolf. deoderant is worthless, especially on the trail.

I actually enjoy smelling other people after they have sweat the majority of the toxins out and they begin to exude their natural odor. You can tell a lot about a person my the way they smell.

All you smell with the cover-up deoderant is a perfume factory.

Just another useless thing waste money and energy on.

SloHiker
03-30-2006, 10:28
I could care less what my hiking buds (or anyone else for that matter thinks....) I can't take so much of myself, especially when the weather is mild. I use this stuff ..... doesn't cover anything up, doesn't attract bugs or critters, just neutralizes the odor.
http://www.thecrystal.com/

Emsadida
03-30-2006, 10:58
I can't take so much of myself, especially when the weather is mild. I use this stuff ..... doesn't cover anything up, doesn't attract bugs or critters, just neutralizes the odor.
http://www.thecrystal.com/
How well does this stuff actually work? It looks intresting if anything else...

SloHiker
03-30-2006, 11:14
It works very well in my experience. I switched from chemical products some ago for health reasons. I only use the spray, but I know many that prefer the solids because they last so long (years in some cases). My Wal-Mart carries a limited line of this product, and you can often find it in uniform shops and specialty stores. As a side benefit, I have never had it stain my clothing....ever. This is probably a bigger issue for women who more often wear linens and fine fabrics.

Almost There
03-30-2006, 13:44
You don't need no stinkin deodorant. I haven't used any in over 25 years.:eek:

Sooo...that's why I still haven't gotten the stink out of my jeep!:D

Hana_Hanger
03-30-2006, 14:16
I agree with SloHiker...love the crystals!

Don't care what others smell...I only care about what I smell, and yes I even wear lipstick and mascara...it is a girly thing :P

Skidsteer
03-30-2006, 19:41

Works better than any other IMO. In my experience it must be applied to a clean pit or it won't work.

I've been using the solid for going on ten years. As to taking it on the trail I can't be bothered. Why worry about your pit stink when the rest of you smells just as bad?

...never heard of the spray version; I'll have to check it out.

Moxie00
03-30-2006, 21:07
Make your arm pit a charm pit.

kncats
04-01-2006, 07:37

It does really well, in my experience. It works (as do many deodorants) by killing the bacteria that cause the stank. If you google "deodorant rock" or "deodorant crystal" you can also find it without the plastic containers. We bought it by the chunk and broke that into smaller pieces just large enough to hold onto. A small piece that weighs about a quarter ounce will last a year or so.

neo
04-01-2006, 14:53
:D its worthless on the trail,only use it in town after a shower and clean cloths:cool: neo

Lugnut
04-02-2006, 02:28
Why bother to hang your food and then smear some sweet smelling stuff under your arms? Doesn't sound too wise to me. YMMV

Footslogger
04-02-2006, 11:00
Why bother to hang your food and then smear some sweet smelling stuff under your arms? Doesn't sound too wise to me. YMMV
================================
Amen ...and if my objective is to kill bacteria and douse odor I's op for some scent free wet wipes before I'd carry deoderant.

Just my $ .02

'Slogger