PDA

View Full Version : places to park at neels gap?

roamin'
03-30-2006, 13:07
Anyone know of a good place to park my vehicle near neels gap?
I am hoping to drop my car there on 4/13 and getting a shuttle down to the approach trail so I can hike back up to the car
I don't mind coughing up a few bucks but just don't want to pay an arm and a leg (I'll need both for hiking). I am hoping to find somewhere not too far from the trail so I can hike down and not have to get a taxi to my vehicle.
Any help/contacts would be appreciated.
Roamin'

Dances with Mice
03-30-2006, 13:13
Anyone know of a good place to park my vehicle near neels gap?
I am hoping to drop my car there on 4/13 and getting a shuttle down to the approach trail so I can hike back up to the car
I don't mind coughing up a few bucks but just don't want to pay an arm and a leg (I'll need both for hiking). I am hoping to find somewhere not too far from the trail so I can hike down and not have to get a taxi to my vehicle.
Any help/contacts would be appreciated.
Roamin'There's a hiker parking area 1/4 mile 'Trail West' from Neels.

roamin'
03-30-2006, 13:16
There's a hiker parking area 1/4 mile 'Trail West' from Neels.

Any charge for the parking?

Midway Sam
03-30-2006, 13:34
Yes, but I don't remember the exact charge. Something like $2 a day. I still have an outstanding parking ticket in that lot because I was about 4hrs past my deadline.

troglobil
03-30-2006, 14:02
I don't recall any parking fee when I was there last month on a day hike. Call Mountain Crossings @ Walasi-Yi they can tell you. (706) 745 -6095

Footslogger
03-30-2006, 14:11
Yes, but I don't remember the exact charge. Something like $2 a day. I still have an outstanding parking ticket in that lot because I was about 4hrs past my deadline.
===============================
That's gotta be something new, if we're talking about the same place. The parking I am familiar with is at the Byron Reese Trail Head which is on the left hand side about 1/4 mile down the road past the Walasi-Yi store at Neels Gap.

But yeah ...check with Winton Porter at Mountain Crossings (Walasi-Yi / Neels Gap). He'll know for sure.

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
03-30-2006, 14:27
===============================
That's gotta be something new, if we're talking about the same place. The parking I am familiar with is at the Byron Reese Trail Head which is on the left hand side about 1/4 mile down the road past the Walasi-Yi store at Neels Gap.

But yeah ...check with Winton Porter at Mountain Crossings (Walasi-Yi / Neels Gap). He'll know for sure.

'Slogger

Nean on this site will know also. send him a PM.

briarpatch
03-30-2006, 14:41
There used to be a $2/day parking fee at all of the road crossing lots for the National Forest Service. As far as I can tell, all of those fees have been eliminated. This doc specifically lists the Byron Reese Parking Lot as free. http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/2006-bt-rec-sum.pdf

roamin'
03-30-2006, 15:43
Thanks for the info.
I don't mind paying to park. Just want to make sure 1. My vehicle is somewhat safe and 2. I don't have to pay something similar to airport parking charges.

Thanks

Dances with Mice
03-30-2006, 15:58
Thanks for the info.
I don't mind paying to park. Just want to make sure 1. My vehicle is somewhat safe and 2. I don't have to pay something similar to airport parking charges.Other alternatives if you want to park on protected private property rather than a public parking area:

Hiker Hostel will do that shuttle & let you park at their place.

Goose Creek Cabins will let you park for a small fee and will shuttle you to/from Neels Gap.

roamin'
03-30-2006, 16:04
Other alternatives if you want to park on protected private property rather than a public parking area:

Hiker Hostel will do that shuttle & let you park at their place.

Goose Creek Cabins will let you park for a small fee and will shuttle you to/from Neels Gap.

Thanks for the alternatives. I'll be checking into them.

Skidsteer
03-30-2006, 19:31
1. Byron Reese is free.
2. It's been safe for me. YMMV
3. It is accessible to the AT directly via a blue blazed trail. It's +/- a mile to or from Flat Rock Gap.

Midway Sam
03-31-2006, 08:58
There used to be a $2/day parking fee at all of the road crossing lots for the National Forest Service. As far as I can tell, all of those fees have been eliminated. This doc specifically lists the Byron Reese Parking Lot as free. http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/2006-bt-rec-sum.pdf

Cool, maybe my unpaid parking ticket is dead now. :banana

I parked there 2 years ago and it was $2 a day.