PDA

View Full Version : cheap sleeping solution?

math_db8
02-24-2003, 04:34
I've spent quite a bit of money recently on gear that I thought I had. After deciding to start the trail I've realized that my gear is just too heavy or impractical, so I've been replacing everything, one by one. Watching my bank account dwindle, I now look at my tent, which I once thought would be perfect for my hike. It's the Sierra Designs Light Year CD. It's nearly four pounds, which I just don't want to take.

Are there any perfect solutions for someone who wants something that is super lightweight, has nearly complete rain protection, but is not over $100? Bug protection would be nice too, but I just haven't found anything that fits all of this criteria, especially considering I don't use trekking poles.

Dirtyoldman
02-24-2003, 05:03
UMMM..... www.hennessyhammocks.com ?

chris
02-24-2003, 10:19
You won't find anything that matches all those criteria. You can use a tarp along with a carbon fiber pole (www.fibraplex.com), a mosquito sleep net, and a bit of Tyvek or other material (groundcloth) and stay under $100, but you won't have complete storm coverage. Forget about a fancy tarp-tent. It will be just too expensive. Of course, if you are hiking the AT and are leaving after mid April, you could always just use the shelters.

max patch
02-24-2003, 10:53
The Eureka Gossamer and the Walrus Micro Swift meet all your criteria.

The MSR Microzoid or Zoid 1 are probably better choices, but they both cost in excess of $150 or so.

chris
02-24-2003, 10:59
The Microswift is no longer available, as MSR bought out Walrus. The Microzoid is a good looking tent, which should be comparable. You may be able to find a cheap microswift at various closeout sites like sierra trading post.

rumbler
02-24-2003, 11:10
Six Moon Designs has their original Europa on sale from $190 to $135. 36 ounces.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/europa.asp

Full protection, lightweight, easy to set up and comes within spitting distance of your $100 limit. It does require a hiking pole though.