PDA

View Full Version : Addis Gap Georgia

troglobil
03-30-2006, 13:55
Its been a long time and memory is gone. Can any one tell me if there are good tent sites and water near Addis Gap norh of Tray Mountain in Ga. We are planning an overnighter in the area.Thanks

Lone Wolf
03-30-2006, 14:00
Good tenting right in the gap. Follow blue-blaze about .5 to water.

troglobil
03-30-2006, 14:03
Thanks,Lone Wolf thats what I wanted to hear

max patch
03-30-2006, 14:26
There used to be a shelter there.

joel137
03-30-2006, 15:24

That goes way back, old timer:)

Pennsylvania Rose
03-31-2006, 12:47

I stayed in that shelter once. Does that make me old?

joel137
03-31-2006, 19:02
I'm starting to wonder if we are talking about the same shelter.

The Addis Gap shelter I'm thinking of, where a shelter was completely removed was removed in the in the mid 70's, I think, maybe it was as late as the late 70's. So you're either old, or were very young when you stayed there or we are talking about different locations. Or the other possibility, my memory is failing me:eek:

Are you thinking of Whitley Gap?

max patch
03-31-2006, 20:13
The Addis Gap shelter was built in 1959 and was still there in 1988 because I ate lunch there on my thru. It was 3/10 of mile off the AT on the FS road. I've camped there several times before that as it was on a good stream with a great breakfast place near the start of the FS road. Nice spot, I never had any company when I camped there.

Skidsteer
03-31-2006, 20:15
I'm starting to wonder if we are talking about the same shelter.

The Addis Gap shelter I'm thinking of, where a shelter was completely removed was removed in the in the mid 70's, I think, maybe it was as late as the late 70's. So you're either old, or were very young when you stayed there or we are talking about different locations. Or the other possibility, my memory is failing me:eek:

Are you thinking of Whitley Gap?

A shelter currently exists at Whitley Gap.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=585&userid=

FatMan
03-31-2006, 20:29
Whitley Gap is .5 miles south off the AT down the Wildcat Mountain ridge before you reach Hogpen gap. This is quite a bit south of Tray Mtn on the AT. I don't think this could be confused with the old addis gap shelter.

Pennsylvania Rose
03-31-2006, 23:15
The Addis Gap shelter was built in 1959 and was still there in 1988 because I ate lunch there on my thru. It was 3/10 of mile off the AT on the FS road. I've camped there several times before that as it was on a good stream with a great breakfast place near the start of the FS road. Nice spot, I never had any company when I camped there.

In 1990 I stayed at the Addis Gap shelter after hiking over Tray Mtn. and taking a nap at Tray Mtn. shelter. I remember the forest service road because a pickup truck showed up after dark. I guess the partiers were put off by the 4 of us there because they turned around and left. We had a great campfire and woke up in thick fog. I also remember the uphill climb to get back to the AT. Wish I could find my picture of the shelter.

joel137
04-01-2006, 00:55
In 1990 I stayed at the Addis Gap shelter after hiking over Tray Mtn. and taking a nap at Tray Mtn. shelter. I remember the forest service road because a pickup truck showed up after dark. I guess the partiers were put off by the 4 of us there because they turned around and left. We had a great campfire and woke up in thick fog. I also remember the uphill climb to get back to the AT. Wish I could find my picture of the shelter.

Apparently, I'm just way off on the date it was removed. Your data is not inconsistant with my actual experiences, I hiked through in 1993 and the shelter wasn't there then. Obviously, I was confusing dates, probably with the building of the Whitley gap shelter or some such:o

Pennsylvania Rose
04-01-2006, 14:08
Does anyone have a picture of the shelter?

RockyTrail
04-01-2006, 22:50
Ask Youngblood, he has a pic of most every shelter, quite an encyclopedia!
Are ya out there YB?

Lone Wolf
04-02-2006, 20:41
Whitley Gap is .5 miles south off the AT down the Wildcat Mountain ridge before you reach Hogpen gap. This is quite a bit south of Tray Mtn on the AT. I don't think this could be confused with the old addis gap shelter.
Whitley Gap Shelter is 1.2 miles off the AT.