PDA

View Full Version : Orikaso - Folded Flat Dishes

Chantilly Lace
03-30-2006, 15:19
I recently received an Orikaso plate and bowl. They are lightweight, plastic and easily folds into the bowl or plate. It seems quite the invention - at least on paper. I tried the bowl (at home) with one of my dehydrated dinners and it worked fine, even kept in the heat pretty well. However, I'm not quite sure how it would work on the trail. It seemed a bit messier to clean than a simple plastic bowl. Has anyone had any trail experience with this new product?
Pokemom

Peaks
03-30-2006, 20:07
I've used them some when I'm sharing food. They work fine. Lighter than a lexam bowl. To clean, just unfold them and rinse them off.

If I'm going solo, then eat straight out of the cook pot.

Speer Carrier
03-30-2006, 20:17
I use them too. They are great in my opinion. They clean up easily, and can be packed flat in your pack. The thing I don't know at this point is how long they'll hold up. They are cheap, however, so it might not matter.

Speer Carrier

Creaky
03-31-2006, 13:41
I use the bowl to help hold the ziplock more or less upright when I'm doing freezer bag cooking/eating. It also makes an excellent clean spot and cutting board for lunch. I haven't used it this way yet, but it looks like it would be good for directing water from weeps into a bottle or cup.

hikerjohnd
03-31-2006, 22:06
I have wondered about these... I assumed clean-up would be easy with unfolding and washing - Pokemom - what did you find messy about the cleaning?

Doctari
04-01-2006, 13:02
Website? Or, where do you get them?

sierraDoug
04-01-2006, 13:32
REI has them...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&query=Orikaso&x=0&y=0

sdoownek
04-01-2006, 14:45
My only concern is their longevity. The 90* folds that are used keep them together are obviously stress points. I would think that over time, they would fatiuge and break at those points, rendering it usuless.

Of course, as speer suggested, at $3, who cares.

Personally, I just don't think they'd be worth the time or trouble. For me, the weight savings is offset by the PITA factor of having to put my dishes together.

Heater
04-01-2006, 14:50
I would think that over time, they would fatiuge and break at those points, rendering it usuless.

Try again. English please. :rolleyes:

sdoownek
04-01-2006, 14:51
Bah, it's still early here, hush.

SuperTroll
04-06-2006, 10:02
Orikaso warranties for life...if it breaks, return it for a new one...

I use just the plate, it folds up into a bowl like shape, and the cup is to small...the plate, however, RAWKS!

Curl it up inside your bear bag, or wrap it around anything rolled up, it's light and takes up little space.....

Rockjock
04-07-2006, 08:44
I have the little cup and plate. I figured the plate has the most multipurpose use and is redundant of the bowl. I love the clean space and cutting board, plus it is so easy to clean. The cup on the other hand is just for fun and not very practical. It does not hold enough liquid, and it does not fold flat. One other thing is when you try to make hot cocoa or coffee in it the sides that are not reinforced tend to bulge out. Although it has not leaked. The cup of all the Orikaso stuff has the most folds and have not seemed to fatigue. Overall, for the weight and price Orikaso is a great idea, caveots:

I would not waste my time with the cup and instead use a sierra cup or a lexan cup.
The bowl from what I can tell could benefit from a redesign with a larger base.
I suppose in the great redisgn of all I would incorporate the best from the bowl and plate into one frankenstein.Roger Caffin has a very detailed review with longerterm results etc on BackpackGearTest.org under cooking accesories.

Rock

snarbles
09-18-2006, 14:30
I just picked up the "Big Bowl":

http://www.orikaso.com/bowl.html

I plan on using it as a base for my freezerbag cooking to hold the bag upright and eat out of the bag. I'm guessing if I need a plate I can just unfold it and eat right off of it.

Seems a bit easier than trying to eat out just out of the freezer bag.

Outlaw
09-18-2006, 15:12

EMS also carries them. http://www.ems.com/index.jsp;jsessionid=FOvRMJb5R99pv1kHHZa0nnhb92V41 3YCsAHfRta1UHJUps84NYK4!887007605!174391836!7005!8 005

stoikurt
09-18-2006, 15:50
I use the plate mainly to hold the freezer bag, so it's easier to eat out of the bag, and as a flat space for my lunch foods. I just got the cup recently and plan on trying it out. I will probably use it mainly to measure water for the freezer bag meals and an occasional cup of coffee.

Swass
09-18-2006, 16:28
I just bought the plate from rei-outlet.com. It was just under $5... Someone found it for $3?

blackbishop351
09-18-2006, 19:07
I just picked up the "Big Bowl":

http://www.orikaso.com/bowl.html

I plan on using it as a base for my freezerbag cooking to hold the bag upright and eat out of the bag. I'm guessing if I need a plate I can just unfold it and eat right off of it.

Seems a bit easier than trying to eat out just out of the freezer bag.

For freezer bag cooking, why not just make a CCF cozy that doubles as a holder?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/quietguyinthecorner2002/album?.dir=/9dffre2&.src=ph

As always, just my .02 :D

MAD777
09-18-2006, 21:10
That is a very impressive and simple cozy! Congratulations!

I wonder if instead of permanently taping it together, one could tape thin tent guy line to the CCF which could be wrapped around the cozy to form it into the final shape but could be untied to store it flat?

Excellent project! I'm always looking for a use for my many pieces of scrap CCF. White Blazers should get together and write a book entitled, "1001 Uses for CCF." :-)

Blissful
09-18-2006, 22:40
I took a set of dishes for a women's backpacking trip this past weekend (three first timers). The only thing was trying to put them togheter for the first time. The mug was a hoot. Took us 20 minutes to figure that one out. And the directions are pretty much useless. But we liked the dishes very much and they were a breeze to clean. Took boiling water well too.

blackbishop351
09-18-2006, 22:46
That is a very impressive and simple cozy! Congratulations!

I wonder if instead of permanently taping it together, one could tape thin tent guy line to the CCF which could be wrapped around the cozy to form it into the final shape but could be untied to store it flat?

Excellent project! I'm always looking for a use for my many pieces of scrap CCF. White Blazers should get together and write a book entitled, "1001 Uses for CCF." :-)

Don't give me all the credit - this is a takeoff on Hog on Ice's design, passed on to me by Jim Tanker. I made a couple small modifications along the way, as did Jim, but it's basically Hog's idea.

I played around with a takedown model for a while - the size of this thing unfolded is perfect for a sit pad, plus packing would be easier - but eventually gave up. The folds are tight enough that it needs a fair amount of structural support. I couldn't come up with a way to give it that and still be able to break it down easily.

As a side note though, it's also designed so that a 20 oz. soda bottle or .5 L Nalgene will fit inside, providing hydro insulation when packed. So maybe the packability issue isn't such a problem.

Skidsteer
09-18-2006, 23:13
Don't give me all the credit - this is a takeoff on Hog on Ice's design, passed on to me by Jim Tanker. I made a couple small modifications along the way, as did Jim, but it's basically Hog's idea.

I played around with a takedown model for a while - the size of this thing unfolded is perfect for a sit pad, plus packing would be easier - but eventually gave up. The folds are tight enough that it needs a fair amount of structural support. I couldn't come up with a way to give it that and still be able to break it down easily.

As a side note though, it's also designed so that a 20 oz. soda bottle or .5 L Nalgene will fit inside, providing hydro insulation when packed. So maybe the packability issue isn't such a problem.

Have you tried self-adhesive velcro (http://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/Velcro%20Products.html)?

blackbishop351
09-19-2006, 00:18
Hmm...interesting idea. Only one issue, though - the tape also provides an air seal, adding to the insulation properties. I'm not sure velcro or some sort of tying system would perform as well in that respect...but as I haven't tried my cozy in COLD weather yet, I don't know how much insulation is actually necessary. Good idea!

snarbles
09-19-2006, 01:14
For freezer bag cooking, why not just make a CCF cozy that doubles as a holder?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/quietguyinthecorner2002/album?.dir=/9dffre2&.src=ph

As always, just my .02 :D

I'm still testing the system now, but I may just use my long titainium spoon and eat out of the freezer bag. Just wanted to see if the bowl made the experience better to justify it's 1.2 oz.