PDA

View Full Version : Cosby Knob/Gabes Mountain TH

Heaney
09-13-2021, 13:33
Has anyone on here hiked between the Cosby Knob shelter and the Gabes Mountain trailhead/Cosby Campground area?
If so, what is the approximate mileage between the two points? It seems to be about 3 miles on the Low Gap Trail.

Thanks in advance.

illabelle
09-13-2021, 14:51
Give or take, yes 3 miles is close.

GoldenBear
09-13-2021, 15:22
My National Geo Map shows just under 3.5 miles from the parking area of Cosby Campground to the Cosby Knob Shelter. I've done the hike up the Low Gap Trail twice, and it's no picnic, but it's pretty easy to follow as it keeps going up & up & up.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2021, 16:30
Low Gap is a pretty steady steep climb up. The time I hiked it, the climb wasn't hard. It was the humidity.

Heaney
09-13-2021, 18:54
Thanks everybody!

Luckily, we will be heading down off the AT from Cosby Knob, so steep will be in our favor. 😊

HooKooDooKu
09-14-2021, 14:51
The answer is a bit more complicated than you think...
For starters, the basic mileage is 0.8 from the shelter to Low Gap, and then 2.1 down Low Gap to a trail intersection.
From this intersection, it's about another 0.4 miles to reach the back side of Cosby Camp ground, but there's multiple ways to enter the camp ground. Then, depending upon which trailhead for Gabes Mountain trail you want to use, you have another 0.4 to 0.5 miles of walking thru the camp ground.

Here's an image from my Google Earth data for the Cosby Camp Ground area. There's trail heads for 4 major trails plus some horse connector trails and a "quiet walkway" loop trail for the camp ground.