PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong

Frosty
03-30-2006, 18:56
I'm not often wrong (at least in my mind), and when wrong on the internet, don't always fess up, preferring to just move on. In the same vein, I rarely brag about being right - right, wrong, it's all opinion and who cares anyway?

Sometimes, though, I am either brilliantly right or spectacularly wrong, so right or so wrong that documentation is appropriate.

Last year, I got into an on-line argument with Ron Haven. I formed an opinion of someone based on on-line posts, and I couldn't have been more wrong if I had tried to be.

Now, a year or so later and after spending a lot of time in Franklin, I have to say publicly that I was spectacularly wrong, and that Ron is the ultimate Trail Angel, and further, that I am indebted to him for his assistance while I was sick and hurt here in Franklin. One particular act of kindness of many: I was trying unsuccessfully to thumb into Franklin from Winding Stair Gap. The sun was setting, I was tired and chilled, sick and pretty discouraged. Ron passed by with his family, and stopped. He called on his cell phone for a shuttle, and let me sit in his warm vehicle until the shuttle showed up, delaying his family trip in the process. What a difference that made to me. What an act of kindness to a smelly hiker.

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Hats off to Ron Haven.

Robusto
03-30-2006, 19:25
Just had a shuttle ride from Ron to drop off "Doc Narley" and "Slideshow"
to start their hike. Great guy, great price.

Almost There
03-30-2006, 19:30
Frosty,

Hats off to you for coming back to set right a wrong. Many here wouldn't have the acorns to do so! You're not as bad I thought either!:D

Skidsteer
03-30-2006, 19:52
Classy, Frosty, very classy!

Lion King
03-30-2006, 21:03
Nice, one more reason to not judge or trust someone based on the internet garbage that filters around the world.

Lion King
03-30-2006, 21:04
Nice, one more reason to not judge or trust someone based on the internet garbage that filters around the world.

or NOT TO TRUST...whew...glad I caught that.

tiamalle
03-31-2006, 01:01
I'm not often wrong (at least in my mind), and when wrong on the internet, don't always fess up, preferring to just move on. In the same vein, I rarely brag about being right - right, wrong, it's all opinion and who cares anyway?

Sometimes, though, I am either brilliantly right or spectacularly wrong, so right or so wrong that documentation is appropriate.

Last year, I got into an on-line argument with Ron Haven. I formed an opinion of someone based on on-line posts, and I couldn't have been more wrong if I had tried to be.

Now, a year or so later and after spending a lot of time in Franklin, I have to say publicly that I was spectacularly wrong, and that Ron is the ultimate Trail Angel, and further, that I am indebted to him for his assistance while I was sick and hurt here in Franklin. One particular act of kindness of many: I was trying unsuccessfully to thumb into Franklin from Winding Stair Gap. The sun was setting, I was tired and chilled, sick and pretty discouraged. Ron passed by with his family, and stopped. He called on his cell phone for a shuttle, and let me sit in his warm vehicle until the shuttle showed up, delaying his family trip in the process. What a difference that made to me. What an act of kindness to a smelly hiker.

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Hats off to Ron Haven.Frosty as hard headed as I am at times,Thanks for letting me have this opportunity to serve you.I also find you to be a great person also.

Sly
03-31-2006, 02:13
... I am either brilliantly right or spectacularly wrong, so right or so wrong that documentation is appropriate.

In the brief time I've known Ron, it's apparent where his heart is at. Hikers that have the good fortune of meeting him will truly be blessed by the experience.

MacGyver2005
03-31-2006, 08:24
Frosty, it takes a lot to speak up like that. It's attitude like yours that keeps WB out of the dumpster!

Just had a shuttle ride from Ron to drop off "Doc Narley" and "Slideshow"
to start their hike. Great guy, great price.

I am wondering if this is the same Doc Narley I hiked with last year...was he an older, skinny guy that doesn't really have any "high-tech" gear? He wore construction boots, and pretty much looked like a homeless guy and smoked a lot. Is he still at it?

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Forestescapes
03-31-2006, 09:02
attitudes surface quickly.
But qualities take a little longer.
Well done
dc

Frosty
03-31-2006, 10:46
Nice, one more reason to not judge or trust someone based on the internet garbage that filters around the world.It would be nice if I could say that I've totally learned my lesson, and will never slip again, but alas, I'm sure such is not the case, and I'm certain to fall again. In the words of the great philosopher Popeye, "I am what I am, and that's all what I am."

But to quote Shakespeare, "All's well that ends well." No matter how it started, I'm come out of this with a terrific friend.

Tin Man
03-31-2006, 11:14
Nice job Frosty. It is true what they say, never write anything to anyone that you wouldn't say to their face. I tend to violate that myself from time to time and I always regret it afterward. And if someone says something inappropriate here, we should holster our pistols and not bring ourselves down to their level (I don't know what I was think last night with that Alaska dude). Certainly, we should find an appropriate way to address inappropriate behavior and when that fails there is always the ignore button.

KirkMcquest
03-31-2006, 12:01
...... when wrong on the internet, don't always fess up, preferring to just move on. In the same vein, I rarely brag about being right - right, wrong, it's all opinion and who cares anyway?

........ I formed an opinion of someone based on on-line posts, and I couldn't have been more wrong if I had tried to be

Yes, I've also noticed that disturbing behavior in you. I'm glad you've finally decided to come clean, Frosty. Sounds like your learning...slowly.

For your next post, you may want to consider addressing your tendancy to 'join in' with the crowd and pounce upon unsuspecting new posters. After that, you might consider the consequences of your regional biases.

Well, you've got plenty of time to meditate on these things in the next five months or so, so good luck:)

Gray Blazer
03-31-2006, 14:59
Hey Frosty, it was good seeing you at Ron's. I'll let you know when I'm coming up to NH and we'll hike MT Willey. JJ

G.I. JOE
04-05-2006, 13:06
It would be nice if I could say that I've totally learned my lesson, and will never slip again, but alas, I'm sure such is not the case, and I'm certain to fall again. In the words of the great philosopher Popeye, "I am what I am, and that's all what I am."

But to quote Shakespeare, "All's well that ends well." No matter how it started, I'm come out of this with a terrific friend.

How are you? Are you feeling better?

Frosty
04-05-2006, 16:38
How are you? Are you feeling better?Hi Scott. Good to hear from you. I'm doing better now. After Muskrat Creek, I got off at Deep Gap. Spent a couple days in bed, got better drugs in Franklin than in Hiawassee, and hiked as far as Wayah Bald. Got a sudden, severe cramp in my left calf at Siler Bald, and hobbled to a road and back to Franklin.

Doctor was concerned about "cramp." It didn't go away and sort of fit the profile of blood clot (Deep Vein Thrombosis). I waited a week in Franklin, it didn't get better or worse, and decided to come home for dianosis/treatment in case it was serious. Also, was spending a ton of money in town.

Just found out it wasn't a blood clot (good news!) but is a muscle tear of Gastrocnemius muscle. Not a complete tear. I can walk on level ground, but limp downlill/uphill, and cannot ascend/descend stairs normally.

Will start rehabbing next week. I will likely jump back on the trail somewhere in VA in May, and probably do a section hike. This is my second thru attempt and I am getting tired of hiking GA every spring :)

I used to be pretty durable, and don't particularly care for the illness/injuries I've seen over the past couple of years. I may have to start taking better care of myself.

erichlf
04-05-2006, 18:14
Good to see that some people in the world still have common decency or I suppuse I should say uncommon decency.

G.I. JOE
04-06-2006, 07:24
Frosty, Jenn is going back to work today, I started Monday. You think walking 15 miles a day for 4 or 5 straight is painfull, it is nothing compared to having to leave the trail early and get back to work. When jenn gets better we plan on going back to Fontana to do the Smokies, it won't be till later in the summer. If you decide to do a warm up hike before you go back down let me know and maybe we can hike that Sunapee Trail. Its better todo a test run prior to jumping back into it.

Scott

crutch
04-06-2006, 07:28
Bravo Frosty.......I'm glad that you stepped up and set things right. It takes a big man to admit that he was wrong, fortunately for us you've got those size 17's.

Frosty
04-06-2006, 09:56
It takes a big man After a week of the Prime Sirloin AYCE buffet, and a weekend of you and Solace and Baltimore Jack manning the Hiker Fest grills, "big" man has taken on a whole new meaning for me :D