PDA

View Full Version : Guthook's is now Far Out!

TwoSpirits
10-19-2021, 09:28
Noticed this morning that my Guthook app had changed to Far Out!

Curious -- did Guthook sell the enterprise?

Can't say that I like the new name (feels like [another] old friend has left), but it looks like everything else in the app remains the same, and none of my data is gone.

Captain Blue
10-19-2021, 10:41
Interesting. Quite possible. I received a pop-up notification from the Guthook app two days ago that said "We have some big announcements ... Check back here soon!"

If they did sell out that probably means an end to the "buy it once" model to a move to a monthly or annual subscription.

Captain Blue
10-19-2021, 10:42
Update: https://sgbonline.com/pressrelease/guthook-guides-changes-name-consolidates-apps-to-farout/

Guthook Guides announced it has rebranded as FarOut to reflect the company’s current business model and plans for future growth. The company’s Bikepacking Guides app will also be consolidated in its FarOut app.

Co-Founders Paul Bodnar and Ryan Linn launched the brand’s first iOS app for the Pacific Crest Trail called “Guthook’s Guide to the PCT,” in 2012, named after Linn’s trail name Guthook. The founder’s first Guthook Guides app for Android was released in 2013. What started as a single guide to help thru-hikers on the Pacific Coast Trail has grown to include over 100 hiking, biking and paddling routes worldwide.

“Now that we’re expanding our community to our other favorite activities like bikepacking and paddling, we decided it was time to change the app’s trail name,” said Linn. “The app, though, will stay the same.”

The FarOut app remains mostly the same with minor consolidation updates. Its core audience continues to be the thru-hiking community but will expand its reach to other outdoor markets, including bikepacking and paddling.

“We are excited about this transition, and I’m proud of our talented and hard-working team who made it happen,” said Bodnar. “And stay tuned, because we are working on some new features that we think our customers will love.”

The company also announced it designed a web app on its site for easy access to all the company’s trail guides directly from a computer or tablet.

Gambit McCrae
10-19-2021, 15:58
I got this email today...:

Our New Name
Our main hiking app, Guthook Guides, is now FarOut. We are the same company with the same app, but with a new name and new look.
We have consolidated all of the bikepacking and cycling guides available in Bikepacking Guides and Cyclewayz into FarOut. (The content in the legacy Android hiking guide apps was previously incorporated into Guthook Guides.)

rhjanes
10-19-2021, 17:07
My Phone App still says Guthook. When I open it, I get a flash that it's "Updating Database". I did find FarOutGuides and set up a logon on the Web. It has all my trail purchases except my very first one, the Arkansas Eagle Rock Loop (ERL). I've emailed them.

Looking at my App Store purchases, Guthooks just says "Open" (so no changes) and not "Update".

So....should the phone app "Change"?

LazyLightning
10-19-2021, 18:08
far out man

lkmi
10-19-2021, 19:28
I imagine we'll all continue to refer to the app as "Guthook" :cool:

jefals
10-19-2021, 20:08
I think it's far-out on Apple and still guthook on Android so far.

Nanatuk
10-19-2021, 20:28
Its far-out on my android - It will be hard to call it something else, but as far as names go, I think Far-out is pretty good.

Captain Blue
10-19-2021, 21:00
What are the people who called it Guthooks going to call it now?

jefals
10-19-2021, 22:46
Its far-out on my android - It will be hard to call it something else, but as far as names go, I think Far-out is pretty good.
Still guthooks on my Samsung. And I can't find it under the name far out, in the Google play store. .

RiverbirchHiker
10-19-2021, 23:35
Here are a couple article links from today:

https://www.outsidebusinessjournal.com/press-releases/tech-and-innovations-press-releases/thru-hiking-mapping-app-pioneer-guthook-guides-changes-name-and-consolidates-all-apps-to-farout/

https://thetrek.co/guthook-guides-popular-thru-hiking-app-rebrands-as-farout/

jefals
10-20-2021, 10:07
just found it in Google play store now.

gpburdelljr
10-20-2021, 10:27
By its new name, of course. If they can’t remember the new name then they shouldn’t be out hiking. :)

Seatbelt
10-20-2021, 12:03
I always thought "Guthook" sounded more like a hunting/fishing info.

JackieO
10-20-2021, 15:50
My iphone still showed it as Guthooks until I updated the app, and now it is FarOut

One Half
10-20-2021, 21:49
Still guthooks on my Samsung. And I can't find it under the name far out, in the Google play store. .

one word

FarOut

Traveler
10-21-2021, 07:52

The Denver family announced a trademark suit today......

HeartFire
10-22-2021, 04:30
Speaking of Guthook - is anyone else having trouble? I don't get the GPS location on the elevation side of the map. it shows my location on the maps just not the elevation. I recently got a new phone which is when it started happening (Iphone 13pro max). I've emailed them, but so far no help.

Miner
10-25-2021, 23:53
I have to give the new name a big thumbs down. As someone who was a kid when people still actively used that slang term in the 70's, it's bringing back some trauma of those dark days. I can't imagine myself ever actually calling it that in a real conversation with any of my peers as I grew up with people making fun of that time period. I will probably refer to it as the app formerly known as Guthook.

ChrisMek
10-26-2021, 09:42
Speaking of Guthook - is anyone else having trouble? I don't get the GPS location on the elevation side of the map. it shows my location on the maps just not the elevation. I recently got a new phone which is when it started happening (Iphone 13pro max). I've emailed them, but so far no help.

I am having trouble, but not with the App on my phone. That seems to be working just fine for me. I just can't seem to log in to use the We App. After several emails with support, I still can't get in using the same log in info as the phone app. I have followed all their suggestions, even changing my username and still nothing.

One of my original gripes with guthook was that there wasn't a website to use fro planning purposes. Now that there is, I can't use it. So close, but still out of reach for me!

Anyone else having this problem?

Recalc
10-26-2021, 09:56
One of my original gripes with guthook was that there wasn't a website to use fro planning purposes. Now that there is, I can't use it. So close, but still out of reach for me!

I can't figure it out either. You are not alone.

rhjanes
10-26-2021, 10:31
I am having trouble, but not with the App on my phone. That seems to be working just fine for me. I just can't seem to log in to use the We App. After several emails with support, I still can't get in using the same log in info as the phone app. I have followed all their suggestions, even changing my username and still nothing.

I'm using the Web Site, which I never did before. So it was a "New" signup. All but ONE of my purchased trails showed up. I've had a few emails back and forth to try and resolve it. I'm being careful in every email to say the IPHONE APP, is just fine, all trails showing up. It's the Web that won't show one of the trails I purchased. What I find interesting is that it was the very first trail I purchased on the Phone app. Purchased back in 2016. SO I suspect it was some "lost in translation" issue, perhaps some years back. they did send very detailed instructions of how to open the IPHONE Store, Logon, scroll here, click that, click again, scroll to find where......yep, shows "You Purchased Trail X on MM/DD/YYYY". I've not checked today to see if the web is resolved. I hope it is. But what I didn't want messed up was the IPHONE maps! Those are what I need while hiking! Not a laptop and a website.

They've been very responsive and detailed in their emails and I'm sure it will be resolved.

Personally, I've decided to head over to the Hobby store, buy some 1968 Love Beads, string those and they now MUST go with me while hiking so when I'm looking at my IPHONE Map, I'll touch the beads and proclaim "FAR OUT!" to everyone around.

ChrisMek
10-26-2021, 11:23
I'm using the Web Site, which I never did before. So it was a "New" signup. All but ONE of my purchased trails showed up. I've had a few emails back and forth to try and resolve it. I'm being careful in every email to say the IPHONE APP, is just fine, all trails showing up. It's the Web that won't show one of the trails I purchased. What I find interesting is that it was the very first trail I purchased on the Phone app. Purchased back in 2016. SO I suspect it was some "lost in translation" issue, perhaps some years back. they did send very detailed instructions of how to open the IPHONE Store, Logon, scroll here, click that, click again, scroll to find where......yep, shows "You Purchased Trail X on MM/DD/YYYY". I've not checked today to see if the web is resolved. I hope it is. But what I didn't want messed up was the IPHONE maps! Those are what I need while hiking! Not a laptop and a website.

They've been very responsive and detailed in their emails and I'm sure it will be resolved.

Personally, I've decided to head over to the Hobby store, buy some 1968 Love Beads, string those and they now MUST go with me while hiking so when I'm looking at my IPHONE Map, I'll touch the beads and proclaim "FAR OUT!" to everyone around.

I find that customer support is pretty responsive.

My problem is not with my purchases. I can log in with my iPhone, everything works great, as it always has. When I try to log in on the website, it says invalid username or Password. I've even changed my Username (per their request) to something without special characters. Still nothing. My last correspondence was:

"​Our App Engineers are still working on this, there are some back end issues they are fixing"

I'm excited for the Web App because it is going to make planning my next section so much easier than doing it on my Phone>

So for now, I wait patiently.

Have fun with your Beads! ... I wonder if REI sells Bell Bottom Hiking pants...

rhjanes
10-26-2021, 22:06
I got another email today of step-by-step things to try. I didn't feel very comfortable about a few of the steps. But their advice made me try something. I usually use Firefox which didn't show just one of my purchased trails. I logged off, closed Firefox. Opened Chrome and then FarOutGuides, logged on and there was the missing trail! I logged off and closed Chrome. Opened Firefox, got to the web site and logged on and there was the missing trail. I let the know I'd NOT followed their steps and instead did the "different browser" steps and everything was working. They replied that they HAD "pushed out some changes on the web and app".......So I'm actually thinking their changes, made my missing trail appear. I'd NOT looked before I switched browser.

Yes, they are responsive. I'm sure they were slammed with issues over this change.
Glad they resolved my issue and hope they get the other issues resolved

Captain Blue
10-27-2021, 21:49
We apologize for the inconvenience as it looks like there is a complicated account transfer issue the App Engineers are working on in the backend for the Web App. It is going to take some time to find a fix for it.

In the mean time you may try these steps:

1. Clear your browser history and cache for the last week
2. Close the Web browser
3. Open a new web browser
4. Try singing back into the web app with our username and password (if that doesn't work use your email and password)

I had a problem logging into the web app too. They suggested I sing. I love singing but it didn't work. Perhaps I had the wrong key?

One Half
03-03-2022, 13:39
Curious. Do y'all download the photos, comments and topo or just topo? Or topo and comments?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dmperkins74
03-04-2022, 08:38
SUUUUUCH a better name. And a really good app :)

rhjanes
03-04-2022, 11:24
Curious. Do y'all download the photos, comments and topo or just topo? Or topo and comments?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'm an ex-programmer and I'm going to quote the standard IBM answer to many questions. "It Depends". A few of the trails I have, I have downloaded multiple maps that are available for the trail. I get the photo's also and comments. I find the photo's very helpful. It's one thing to read the app or a trail guide and it says the next camping area is "2.3 miles ahead, room for 4 tents, water .2 down a side trail" and it's another to see a photo of a fire ring feet high in trash, trash around the area. And so I check the next camp area at 3.5 miles ahead to see photo's of little trash and a nice area. Now hopefully the photo's are fairly current!

Heliotrope
03-06-2022, 07:56

Guthook. Always. If you are unsure of your location just Guthook it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk