PDA

View Full Version : John Muir Trail vs. Colorado Trail

mindlessmariachi
03-30-2006, 20:54
Hi
Has anyone here hiked both the John Muir Trail and the Colorado Trail? I have like 3 or 4 weeks to hike in August and early September, and i'm not sure which to do. Anyone got any recommendations on the matter?

Lion King
03-30-2006, 21:01
I did the JMT from the middle of August to the first week of Sept...OUTSTANDING trip. Just crystal clear beautiful blue skies, no shortage of water, empty trail after Yosemite (I did it South to Whitney), except for the last day on Whitney when it snowed.

I have heard the Colorado trail is stunning as well, but if this is a 'straight off the couch' hike, I would suggest the JMT. Grades are great, and again, you will have no problem with water or finding the trail that time of year. generally speaking.

fiddlehead
03-30-2006, 21:56
I have hiked them both. Actually the JMT a few times and it is probably the MOST SCENIC trail in the US. The CO trail for me was a bit of a letdown after already having done the CDT. The CDT portion of CO is much more scenic and remote than the CO trail. It is higher, much of it is above treeline (unlike the CO trail which is often in the trees) The JMT is often above treeline also although there are far less trees in CA than there are in CO. However, the JMT can get crowded, you have a bear problem if you decide to camp in designated campsites (i almost never do because of this problem), possible permit problem in august/sept., and it is less (JMT) accessible to trailheads. But for scenery, you can't beat the JMT. It even compares to the himalayas! Whatever you do, enjoy.

Cookerhiker
03-30-2006, 22:09
Thanks for the info. I'm also planning the JMT starting late August.

Lion King
03-30-2006, 22:16
Thanks for the info. I'm also planning the JMT starting late August.

You'll love it, it is one of the reason why I am doing the PCT this year...that and my desert fetish...:eek: