PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Section???

gearplace
02-24-2003, 11:10
Thinking about doing a little section hike next month and was wondering how are the trail conditions on the Smoky Mountain sections. I was there a few years back and there were sections of the trail that were rutted out knee deep!!!!. I love the section from Charlie's Bunion to Davenport Gap one of the most beautiful sections of the trail IMO.

tlbj6142
02-24-2003, 11:28
The ruts will still be there.

chris
02-24-2003, 11:40
I was in the Smokys last weekend (8 days ago). NewfoundGap road was open. There is a fair amount of snow, ice, and water. Between Mt. Collins and NewfoundGap road, there was little travel and breaking trail was a pain. Between NewfoundGap and the Boulevard trail, there was more travel, which meant more ice to deal with. Not too bad, though. Melting snow was easier than finding clean water. Breaking trail through fresh powder takes up a lot of energy, something to keep in mind. The bathrooms at the Gap are open. Note that the only open campgrounds in the park are at Cades Cove and Smokemont.

The section from Charlies Bunion to Davenport Gap is, I think, the best stretch of AT before you get to the Roan Highlands.

tlbj6142
02-24-2003, 11:49
Road Highlands?

chris
02-24-2003, 11:50
Good work.

smokymtnsteve
02-24-2003, 17:37
yep a great section of trail..even though the trail just "south" of clingmans Dome is great and across thunderhead and spence field...too bad "most " folks are NOBO thru hikers in the spring cause the hike starting at clingmans heading south in the late fall is "great" you can have 'winter" and snow in a spruce foest and then walk thru late fall along the top of the ridge and then into great color as you descend into fontana...the view from the Shuckstack tower into fontana is a classic fall view...

spent 2 weeks at Ice h2o shelter as caretaker in mid may of 2000( the NPS gave me 8 dollars a day).. missed trail days that year as I was hanging out at ICE h20 and the bunion ...the mrytle is in full bloom at that time on the bunion.....being CT you could leave just as most of the thrus were heading northand walk to the bunion and then have a couple hours by yourself there before the Day hikers came in...saw a pergrine falcon there ...wild hogs too..I Love the bunion..

Now on to Mt Cammerer...perhaps the 'climax" of the smokies

or at least on of the HIGH points....:banana