PDA

View Full Version : Southern leg mid June start question

SRJ
12-07-2021, 10:32
Hi,

I’d like to hear from the community. If you were doing the Southern half of the trail from mid June to mid Sept. approximately. Would you start in GA or WV? What are your reasons? Thanks and be well.

ldsailor
12-07-2021, 11:04
It's going to be hot either way, but I'd probably start in WV to take advantage of whatever mild weather I could get. I remember going NOBO through Virginia in June and it was in the 90's for a few days but also in the 60's for more days. Starting in the south at Springer it's going to be hot no matter what. In Virginia, Shenandoah Natitional Park will be open in June.

Another thing to consider is where the bubble of NOBO thru-hikers is. It will probably be in Virginia. That kind of makes a case for starting at Springer if the hot weather doesn't bother you and crowds do.

SRJ
12-08-2021, 10:10
I had not concerned the bubble effect. Thanks.

glenlawson
12-08-2021, 13:15
June in Georgia is not bad. Also tends to be a little drier. If it were me, I'd go GA --> VA to mitigate southern Appalachians in late August and to not walk against the late bubble.

Depending on the hurricane season, some tropical storms make it to the southern Appalachians in late August and early September. While that can be a factor in Virginia, most have weakened by the time they make it there. Just know that the end of summer kicks up the hurricane season, so be aware.

illabelle
12-08-2021, 17:35
It's going to be hot either way, but I'd probably start in WV to take advantage of whatever mild weather I could get. ....
Agree with this. Save the higher elevations for the hottest months when you'll have a little bit of relief.

LittleRock
12-09-2021, 10:53
I'd also strongly suggest bringing plenty of bug spray and a maybe a head net for mosquitos.

Mockernut
12-09-2021, 16:38
June in GA is much nicer than August...I'd start south and head north.