PDA

View Full Version : Made it to Haiwassee

Adom
04-01-2006, 01:03
Meet Tobasco and a lot of other great people, I can't believe this trail and the people, more than I ever imagined. Carried way to much food in the beginning and wieghed in at neels gap at 45 lbs, shaved about 5 lbs in town here and will be carrying a lot less food now, shouldn't be above 38 completely full of food and water. Got sold on hiking poles and am in the market for pair, can't find any in town here, guess I'll wait untill Franklin.

Thanks to everyone here at the site, don't think I could of done it with out this place.

Josh from Iowa, no trail name I know of yet ;)

neo
04-01-2006, 14:56
Meet Tobasco and a lot of other great people, I can't believe this trail and the people, more than I ever imagined. Carried way to much food in the beginning and wieghed in at neels gap at 45 lbs, shaved about 5 lbs in town here and will be carrying a lot less food now, shouldn't be above 38 completely full of food and water. Got sold on hiking poles and am in the market for pair, can't find any in town here, guess I'll wait untill Franklin.

Thanks to everyone here at the site, don't think I could of done it with out this place.

Josh from Iowa, no trail name I know of yet ;)

i am glad you are having a great time.have a great hike,it only gets better:cool: neo

Tabasco
04-04-2006, 22:46
Hi Adom! Great meeting you at Holiday Inn. I think I blew out my knee coming down into Deep Gap on Monday night, so I had to cut my section short. I am hoping it's just a sprain, but if it's still hurting Thursday, it's off to the doctor for me. Keep on keepin on!

Tinker
04-04-2006, 23:47
Where are you staying in Hiawassee? I stayed at the Hiawassee Inn. Ron and Sam are good folks. The Mexican restaurant up the street is not to be missed. Not AYCE, officially, but after two days in town, it was all I could do to finish my dinner.

I was only section hiking, though. It broke my heart to turn around just north of the border and hike back out to Dick's Creek Gap.

If it works into your schedule, check into the Berry Patch Hostel just down the hill (well, 3.5 mi.) from Dick's Creek Gap. Gary and Lennie are wonderful people.

I Emailed Frosty, who is trying a thru, today. He's temporarily (hopefully) off the trail and back home in New Hampshire with a possible blood clot in his calf (could also be a torn muscle). He never got rid of the cough and shortness of breath that had plagued him since the second day of his hike.

Pray for his health. This is his third attempt at a thru.

Adom
04-12-2006, 19:38
I stayed at the Holiday Inn. It wasn't bad.

I'm in Gatlinburn(booo tourist trap):( now, my feet and knees are doing much better but my trail name has became Trenchfoot because I have a mild case of emertion foot I can't get rid of but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, anyone has any tips I would appreciate it, no one seems to know what to do, even the vietnam vets I've talked to. Atleast it's painless. I've tried liners, foot powder, changing socks out all the time, epsome salts and now rubbing alcohol( a tip from idenity crisis).

Today as we were heading out of town my friends dana designs literally ripped apart, he lifted the handle and it tore out and the shoulder strap came out half way with it. Since marmot bought out the company he had to deal with them and they were complete ********. He couldn't find anything at the Happy Hiker so we went onto the Smoky Mountain Outfitters and the owner hooked him up with a great pack by the same guy who used to design the dana packs, it's nice, she gave him a 175$ discount and gave hike-n-mike another guy travelling with us a 15% discount on the entire store. We couldn't believe it, it was a great treat after a frustrating day.

I've also met a few other white blazers now, Crutch gave me a ride into franklin and balitmore jack was at the outfitters yesterday when we rolled into town.

Sorry about the knee tabasco I hope everything works out, I'll keep Frosty in my thoughts, I hope he's doing better also.

Take care everyone,
trenchfoot

Adom
04-17-2006, 17:01
hot springs

Adom
04-30-2006, 21:50
I'm in Damascus now.

Just finished my biggest day at 30 miles.

I've hiked 0 slack packing miles.

I've had no gear failures unless you count leaky marmot precip raingear.

One blister.

One zero day.

Endless case of Trenchfoot which is my trail name.

No other real issues, just lots of fun, like being live from the baha cafe with a cold beer in front of me.

Hiken On.

Couldn't of done it with out spending mind numbing hours here reading, thanks guys!