PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever second guess their choices?

shoe
04-01-2006, 02:00
or is it just me?

Tents, rain gear, pots, sleeping pads....

I keep second guessing myself on all my choices. I threw together this trip at the last minute and have to get a whole bunch of stuff on a budget and am not real sure of myself at the moment. I have virtually no experience backpacking except for a 1 night trip. And here I am getting ready to do a
7 - 10 day trip.
Am I crazy? Does everyone go through this at one point or another? Any advice?

Thanks for listening to me whine for a moment :)

sdoownek
04-01-2006, 03:00
Make a gear list. Get it all together on a spreadsheet.

I can give you my template if you can't come up with anything on your own or can't find other templates on line.

Big Dawg
04-01-2006, 07:46
No worries Mel. It's natural to second guess your choices (at least for me it is). Go with what you have, & see how it works out. When you're out on the trail, you'll find out what works & what doesn't, & when you get back you'll be looking for the best replacement for what didn't work, or you'll be dropping some items all together. Follow Ken's suggestion & create a spreadsheet to list all (I mean every single piece) of your gear. That way you can scrutinize your gear better.

Blue Jay
04-01-2006, 09:25
To be aware that you could be making mistakes, is a very good way to measure intelligence. The only time this is harmful is if it keeps you from taking your best shot. Make your best guess, go with it, if it works great, if not you make changes.

Doctari
04-01-2006, 13:11
Ha ha ha ha ha ah oh!

ONLY: every day while at home, every minute while on the trail.

Do I have enough food? Or, too much?
Will I find water, or should I carry more, does that mean i need more containers???
Is my shelter enough/too much?
Will my clothing keep me warm enough? Should I carry more? Should I carry less?

AAAAARRRRRRGGGG!!!!

So, yes, I do believe it is a normal concern.

BTW: I have enough food, sometimes too much. Never had a problem with water, can carry what I need, no problems. Tent is FANTASTIC. I usually stay warm, have minimal clothing.
I worry anyway, sigh.

Doctari.

kyhipo
04-01-2006, 13:43
well you will be fine,just take it as a fun adventure:D ky

neo
04-01-2006, 13:52
or is it just me?

I keep second guessing myself on all my choices. I threw together this trip at the last minute and have to get a whole bunch of stuff on a budget and am not real sure of myself at the moment. I have virtually no experience backpacking except for a 1 night trip. And here I am getting ready to do a
7 - 10 day trip.

:D i got several hammock to choose from:cool: neo

maxNcathy
04-01-2006, 16:33
Being plenty warm and dry at night is top priorty with me.
I wish you well,
Max

mrmike48/4000
04-01-2006, 17:40
yep, happens all the time! it seems to be the norm for a hiker.:confused: you need to be aware of your choices on the trail and before; because your choices are what is going to get you throught the hike. so to 2nd guess ones own choices is a good thing. be carefull not to make the wrong choices at the wrong time while on the trail thus could lead to a miserable event..:mad: stay the course and just be safe on the hike. always leave room for error..if your not sure you will need something than bring it. you will learn soon enough on what you need and do not need. food and warmth:sun are a must! good luck, nitewalker:cool:

shoe
04-01-2006, 20:12
Thanks guys,

I feel mormal now :D

sdoownek - that spreadsheet would be great. ( i am excel challenged)

neo - send me a hammock and I will try it out :)

doctari - curious as to what tent you have
I just bought the Quarterdome and wonder if it's too big. I don't think I could stand a solo tent though. they seem so darn confining and I move alot when I sleep although I am not looking at a Big Agnes SL ( i think that's what it's called)

for some strange reason I am not worried about food and water, but then again I haven't started planning my food yet

really, thanks guys for all the support. it truly means alot to me

Melissa

Smile
04-01-2006, 21:31
Yes, when I got to Mtn. Crossings at Neels Gap, I switched a few things out that I had used for several years, and was sure that I needed to keep with me.l Ya never know!

neo
04-01-2006, 21:36
or is it just me?

7 - 10 day trip.

plus sexual fantasies about hillary clinton keep me warm at night:cool: neo

Footslogger
04-01-2006, 21:43
As evidenced by all the stuff in my gear closet, I would have to say that I definitely change my mind about things. When I first got involved in backpacking there was no internet or whiteblaze. You bought what your friends had or went to an outfitter (which were few and far between) and took their advice on what to buy.

Actually though, I don't look at it so much as second guessing myself. I consider it just a natural process of evolution. As I my knowledge base increased, my attitude toward newer and better gear/clothing changed and ultimately my behavior went along for the ride. None of the stuff I bought 10 - 15 years ago was bad. In fact, it was some of the best gear available at the time.

Fortunately, at least for me, the process of acquiring more gear has slowed down considerably over the past few years. I am essentially using all the gear that I bought in preparation for my thru or that I bought along the trail. If I had to buy new gear tomorrow I would replace most of what I have with the exact same thing.

'Slogger

Mountain Mike
04-01-2006, 21:52
I always second guess. Maybe that's why I have several backpacks, tents, cook sets, etc. After over 5,ooo miles of backpacking I have found there isn't one special piece of gear. But there may be one that works great in a certain situation.

Mountain Mike
04-01-2006, 22:07
I start my plannig with how many going & food. Plan a menu & figure what pot & stove to bring. Shelter is determined by group size & weight distibution. If I go solo it's bare bones, lite weight. If a few of us go I may cary a few extra items like my bakepacker to make special meals like pizza. You have to find a point where you need what you have & are comfortable with it. Take water purification for an example. Will you haul a filter or go with iodine tables for less weight & deal with the taste? Less weight can lead to hire milage but you have to choose a point of comfort for yourself. One friend of mine hiked the entire PCT without a hot meal. That's not something I feel like doing. I guess what I'm saying is there is no right answer to what to take. Try what you think & adapt from there.

hikerjohnd
04-01-2006, 22:13
I always second guess. Maybe that's why I have several backpacks, tents, cook sets, etc.

Agreed - I buy gear and use it for a while, then find something that works better in a given situation. My used gear gets to see the trail every now and again, but lately it has been going to new backpackers and kids groups (scouts and such) who have a need.

You will make gear mistakes and you will make different decisions down the road. As you change, so will your gear needs.

Rendezvous01
04-01-2006, 22:29
Mel--
Second guessing? How about third, fourth, tenth?
Acquiring gear for a hike is half the sport. For most hikers, acquiring the cash for acquiring the gear is the only downside for getting more hiking stuff.

I'm a compulsive overplanner, to hear my wife discuss it. I read the magazines, read the forums, visit every outfitter within an hour or two. Don't buy. Read some more, go back to the stores. Eventually buy on the third visit. Wonder if I made the right choice. Etc., etc., etc.
And the net result: whatever I eventually decided on did the job, I was satisfied, I survived.

Prior to my AT hike, I had only done a very little backpacking, so I had to go on what I read and the advice from several email correspondants who had hiked the year before. I only purchased a couple items along the way. But I made notes as to what worked well for me and for others, so I have been gradually able to re-gear for my next hiking adventure.

Don't worry too much about having exactly the 'right' gear. Concentrate on having a good time and being safe. Sleep well and eat well and the rest of trip is just walking.

Mouse
04-01-2006, 22:46
I was pretty happy with my gear choices. My air mattress did wear out just short of SNP and the Ridgerest I replaced it with turned out to be a bad choice and I had to replace it with a Thermarest at Front Royal.

swede
04-02-2006, 22:59
My footwear, and sleeping gear is where I put my money. Concentrate on happy feet and a good nights rest. Everything else is just filler. have a great time.

sdoownek
04-03-2006, 03:17
the Ridgerest I replaced it with turned out to be a bad choice and I had to replace it

I don't know why the ridgerest didn't work for you, but I'll counter your opinion by saying that I've had a 3/4 ridgerest for many, many miles and it's served me well.

Just out of mere curiosity, what was your issue with the ridgerest?

Jaybird
04-03-2006, 06:49
or is it just me?Tents, rain gear, pots, sleeping pads...........etc,etc,etc,..........
I keep second guessing myself on all my choices..........blah,blah,blah,.....

Welcome to 2nd GUESSERS ANONYMOUS...my name is Jaybird.

I think we ALL do this...fear of "making a mistake" (whether its the first big hike or our 2 or 3rd thru-hike), fear of fellow hikers making Fun of us...etc,etc,etc.

This occurs on items from food choices, all the way to cook pot & cook stove.

section-hikin' Apr 22-May 3 PEARISBURG to GLASGOW,VA w/ "Jigsaw":D

Mouse
04-03-2006, 06:59
Just out of mere curiosity, what was your issue with the ridgerest?

All backs are not created equal. Mine and Ridgerest were not friends at all. :mad: :mad:

Thermarest and Back got along MUCH better!:banana :banana