PDA

View Full Version : SNP Waysides in 2022

Coffee
03-05-2022, 06:47
Although the waysides are opening around the usual time in March/April, the SNP webpage shows that they will only open for retail sales with food service delayed until summer. For example, the Loft Mountain wayside opens for retail on April 15 but only offers food service starting July 1. This is likely to be disappointing for many thru hikers. My assumption is that the ongoing labor shortages and wage inflation has caused the concessionaire to calculate that they are better off not operating food service until the peak of summer. Unfortunate.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Coffee
03-05-2022, 06:52
When they say “retail”, I assume that includes packaged foods but I’m not certain. I take food service to refer to cooked foods. However, anyone looking to resupply from the waysides should probably check with the concessionaire. For me, the waysides are nice to have but not essential. It’s certainly possible to go through the park without resupply or cooked food. It does appear that the Big Meadows and Skyland complexes will offer restaurant service as usual once they open up, so that’s still an option for a cooked meal.

BlackCloud
03-10-2022, 11:05
But the parks are packed. I expect that to continue at least thru this upcoming summer.

Coffee
03-11-2022, 09:14
Yeah, the business would be there if they were open for food service. I suspect they are having trouble getting seasonal workers even at $15+/hour.

stephanD
03-11-2022, 09:26
They have decent sandwiches and wraps, sweet and savory snacks, sodas...no hiker will leave the park hungry :D

Coffee
03-11-2022, 14:57
And the sit down restaurants at Big Meadows and Skyland are opening this spring so no one’s going to starve. But those wayside meals sure are nice when hiking through the park, as I’ve done in spring in years past.

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2022, 11:09
I'm guessing food service includes those blackberry milkshakes? If so, bummer. :(

Slo-go'en
03-12-2022, 14:03
I'd wager they try to be fully operational by Memorial weekend. That's about when the thru hikers start to show up in numbers anyway. Only the early birds will miss out.

BillyGr
03-15-2022, 19:08
One of the three (Elkwallow) is scheduled for 5/27 so that sounds in line with Memorial Day timeframe.

The other two do say 7/1, but each of those has another option (the lodge or camp store) in the same place to offer additional options.

One might also expect that they'd prefer to list it this way and then change to an earlier opening if they are able to get staff and the park is busy enough to warrant doing so, since no one will complain if they open sooner than expected, while many would if not open when they are supposed to be.

JPritch
03-22-2022, 11:09
I'm guessing food service includes those blackberry milkshakes? If so, bummer. :(

I ended and then began two different section hikes in Shenandoah. First time I was a few weeks late for the shakes, second time a few weeks early. The mystique grows!