PDA

View Full Version : Water - need advice

skylark
04-01-2006, 08:54
I had my first trail hiking experience Thursday and Friday on the North Country Trail, in the Manistee National Forest in Michigan. I hiked 6 miles in on Thursday and back out on Friday.

Because it is so early in the season here, the campground where I was planning to get water was not open and I could not find any water pump or faucet. The campground was the only opportunity for well water as shown on the map. I had started out with 2 liters, and I had 1 liter of water left, but was hot and thirsty and needed to cook dinner.

I turned around and hiked back a couple miles to stealth camp near a lake. The lake was surrounded by marshy areas, and I didn't want to drink water from the shore, it was too ... full of life.

I tied a fishing line around a gatorade bottle and threw it out as far as I could and let it fill, then hauled it in. I filtered it through a tee shirt and boiled it. I tasted it and it tasted like pond water, I did not want to drink it. I used the water to cook with, boiling it again, and drank half of my good water, saving the other half liter for the next day. I was thirsty most of the night.

It rained the next morning and I kind of caught some tarp runoff in my hands and drank a little rain water, which tasted great. I probably should have caught more rain water and my problems would have been solved.

I hiked back out the next morning nonstop and was out of water by the time I got to the car, where I had more water stashed, so there was no emergency, apart from worrying about running out and being a little thirsty that evening. But being thirsty sucks. In order to do longer hikes, I really need to figure out the water situation, so I am asking for advice.

So my questions are:

1. How much water should you carry?
2. How do you get water from a lake or stream?
3. What is the best way to carry water, bottles, soft container or ???
4. How do you treat natural water?
5. What is a good way to catch rain water off of a tarp?

If anyone knows of a good site on the net with advice on getting water, I would appreciate a link.

Here is a picture of the lake:

http://cruisenews.net/whacked/NorthCountryTrail/lakeview.jpg

(http://cruisenews.net/whacked/lake.jpg)

stag3
04-01-2006, 09:15
I've had a similar experience of being low on drinking water-not a good situation.

I have used some nasty looking water from lakes and streams without any problems. My main criteria is not to use stagnant water-it has to be moving . Lakes are okay.

My procedure is to filter the water through a paper coffee filter and then treat with Micropur MP1 tablets. The filter does not take out color bodies.

You can get the tablets most places, but they are cheaper at Acadamey.

hikerjohnd
04-01-2006, 10:27
Over Christmas a friend and I hiked to a place where the water source turned out to be brackish water. As a big guy, I know I will need more water than some little folks so I am sure to carry 3 liters on me. Had I known the water situation I would have packed in 4 liters. Luckily we were hiking in winter so heat was not an issue.

I carry water in a 2L camelbak and the subsequent water in 1L pepsi bottles (I prefer the long skinny shape over the short fat gatorade bottles.)

As to treatment, I am a filter guy. I have tried aqua mira (and it is not bad) and I can not use iodine, so my treatment options are limited. At the end of the day, I like the convenience of instant ready drinking water, with no particulate matter floating around. My first filter was an MSR Waterworks (the original 2 stage filter) but now I LOVE my Katadyn Hiker (not the new Pro version) I have my base weight down to 10 lbs and that includes the 1 lb filter - definitley worth the weight.

As to fetching water - I use a waterbag for gathering untreated water. There are several styles to choose from, but the one I have from Dancing Light Gear (http://trailquest.net/dlgcwatersac.html) suits me pretty well. I cut a hole in the handle strap to feed my filter hose through making the job of filtering that much easier. With the waterbag, I can filter my water in a normal posture (not balancing over a creek or lake side.)

As to gathering rainwater - I've not done that yet - I'll be interested to read others suggestions...