PDA

View Full Version : I visited the Doyle today

perrymk
04-20-2022, 15:27
I’m in the middle of a slackpack trip from just south of Carlisle to just north of Duncannon. I’ve read about the Doyle hotel and restaurant in Duncannon in just about every AT hiker memoir I’ve read (and I’ve read too many of them). So after my hike today I decided to stop there for lunch on the way back to the motel.

It turns out today is the first day the restaurant is open. I was surprised at the size of the dining area; I expected it to be larger. There were maybe 4 or 5 tables and also a few stools at the bar. I heard them say they are only open for breakfast and lunch but will be offering supper hours soon. Not everything is up and running. The frier should be up next week and they aren’t serving alcohol yet. The menu isn’t huge but it’s ok. I had a vegan burger and it was excellent. There are meat selections also.

I believe they are renting rooms already but much of the lodging area is still under renovation. They gave me a tour of the whole place. The second floor has a ballroom that already has as a wedding booked. The third floor has rooms with private bathrooms. The fourth floor will have rooms with a shared bathroom. There is street parking and also some onsite parking in the back. I noticed there was Wi-Fi while I was in the dining area but didn’t use it. My Verizon signal was excellent. I didn’t notice a tv in the room. Maybe ask if that’s important to you.

I’ve never been there before so can’t say if it’s better or not. I can say it looks great and I’m glad I stopped in.

TOW
04-21-2022, 12:38
Thanks for the report. Did you meet a chap goes by Matthewski?

perrymk
04-21-2022, 15:28
I don’t recall anyone’s name, sorry.

HankIV
04-21-2022, 23:11
If they can book a wedding—-wow. Either it’s a whole new Doyle or a very special couple.

tiptoe
04-22-2022, 08:14
Glad to hear it's open again. The building has a glorious history, and I had a great time there.

illabelle
04-22-2022, 09:20
Happy to hear the Doyle is getting a thorough makeover. It was greatly needed.

lucky luke
04-22-2022, 15:38
Happy to hear the Doyle is getting a thorough makeover. It was greatly needed.
i was there in january 1985 and it needed a makeover back then. however i had a very pleasant stay, a huge cast iron bathtub that i filled twice, a room for 7.29$ and a few free beers from the guests in the bar. i´ll always remember the doyle as one of my favourite hotels.

good luck to the new owners!

scope
04-22-2022, 16:36
Thanks for the report. Did you meet a chap goes by Matthewski?

I haven't heard that name in quite some time. Is he 'afilated' with the Doyle?

stephanD
04-27-2022, 11:55
I stayed there in 2015. Best wings ever and draft beer. I'm so happy to hear that they renovate the place. Let it go down under would be terrible for the town.

Sarcasm the elf
04-27-2022, 12:21
I haven't heard that name in quite some time. Is he 'afilated' with the Doyle?

I haven't seen Matty since the pandemic (coincidently it was at the Doyle), but he's on facebook and seems to be doing alright.

I don't think he ever had a formal affiliation with the Doyle, but he was close with the former owners and did a lot of maintenance work there to help them out. I never got the full story, however for a number of years room 23 was basically his. Not sure if he's been back to visit since the new owners took over.

zelph
04-27-2022, 12:42
I haven't seen Matty since the pandemic (coincidently it was at the Doyle), but he's on facebook and seems to be doing alright.

That's good news. 49295