PDA

View Full Version : Dried milk

uncas
04-01-2006, 23:02
Hellos,

Six days and counting. I am packing my resupplies for the past two days. One thing that I am having a hard time maintaining is fat. Plenty of carbs and protein. I have some salami, peanut butter and olive oil. I want dried milk to add to oatmeal, pasta dishes with cheese, and cereal.

But at the store, I keep finding only non-fat dried milk?

Finally, I found something called Nido with fat. But the instructions say to mix with "previously boiled water." What's up with that? Any ideas. Anybody have any experiences with this stuff.

Is fatted dried milk going to be hard to find along the stores on the trail? Do I need to put a few cans in my bounce pack?

Thanks,

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2006, 23:27
Nido is pretty readily available these days anywhere there is a sizable hispanic community, but if you can't get it just add some oil to the oatmeal and other items along with the powdered milk. I have never felt it added a weird flavor and my husband has never noticed the addition.

sierraDoug
04-01-2006, 23:37
I found Nido only in a Mexican grocery store, not in regular groceries. It tastes much better than non-fat milk. That "previously boiled water" thing I've never noticed. Might be a warning added since this stuff is often fed to infants. Don't worry about it, just use water you'd feel OK about drinking.

Before that I used Milkman, found it at REI. Probably not easy to find on the way.

Have a great trip, you lucky dog.

uncas
04-02-2006, 01:25
Hellos,

I'll check in at REI in ATL be4 I hit and it and maybe put some in my bounce.

Thanks,

Peaks
04-02-2006, 08:52
Don't specialty baking stores like King Arthur carry dried whole milk?

troglobil
04-02-2006, 10:50
I found Nido at wally word. Use it all the time with Carnation instant breakfast and cold water.

Blister
04-02-2006, 21:41
Not sure if it is whole milk or non fat - but the best brand of instant milk I have ever tasted is Milkman. Unfortunatley I have only found it out on the west coast. Someone out there has some more info.

Lion King
04-03-2006, 01:01
[quote=Blister]the best I have ever tasted is Milkman. quote]

Snicker snicker:D :banana :D

Arent you supposed to be on a train bound for old New Ma-he-ko?

See you guys somewhere, if the weater is too bad on the CDT, ya'll aint that far from the PCT!

See ya...when I see ya!

minnesotasmith
04-03-2006, 14:07
Too high a proportion of milkfat is saturated fat, lousy for you in every way. Instead, I suggest bringing a small bottle of olive oil (preferred) or other quality vegetable oil (e.g., not corn/canola/soy). Alternatively, oily fish such as herring, sardines, salmon, etc., all have a fair amount of fat, and these are useful kinds. Fish oil capsules are easy to find and cheap; even dollar stores can carry them. Then, there are nuts; peanuts (esp. as peanut butter) are familiar and cheap/easy to find, while walnuts and almonds are especially healthy. Wheat germ has some useful fats, as do other whole grains (never white flour); even brown rice has a little bit of high-quality oil.

bulldog49
04-03-2006, 15:53
Too high a proportion of milkfat is saturated fat, lousy for you in every way. Instead, I suggest bringing a small bottle of olive oil (preferred) or other quality vegetable oil (e.g., not corn/canola/soy). Alternatively, oily fish such as herring, sardines, salmon, etc., all have a fair amount of fat, and these are useful kinds. Fish oil capsules are easy to find and cheap; even dollar stores can carry them. Then, there are nuts; peanuts (esp. as peanut butter) are familiar and cheap/easy to find, while walnuts and almonds are especially healthy. Wheat germ has some useful fats, as do other whole grains (never white flour); even brown rice has a little bit of high-quality oil.

Don't see any of that mixing well with Carnation Instant Breakfast. :eek:

hopefulhiker
04-04-2006, 07:32
I mixed in Nido with special custom oatmeal with nuts and dehydrated fruit, flax seed and other stuff,never got tired of it... I think the pre boiled water thing is because it is meant for babies....

veteran
04-04-2006, 10:17
Milkman dried milk is available at REI.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&query=milkman

Fiddleback
04-04-2006, 11:39
My WalMart Super Center carries NIDO in the Mexican food section. All Super Centers might do so because there's no Hispanic population here (< 1%) to otherwise support the stocking.

FB

littledragon
04-04-2006, 11:47
I've been using the Nido milk for quite awhile now- I really like the taste. It mixes well with cold water, too, as well as other foods like oatmeal. As someone already pointed out- you can get it at Wal-Mart in the international foods section.

enLightened One
04-06-2006, 00:34
My 2 cents on the subject;

I have tried both, the Nido is richer in taste than Milkman as it is a fuller fat milk compared to lowfat Milkman. My choice would be Milkman as the Nido is made by Nestle and I choose not to do buisness with them over their business practices. This may be to political for some but for those that want to make a difference they should look into it further.

Here is one link http://www.babymilkaction.org/

fiddlehead
04-06-2006, 06:56
After many years of trying to find dried milk with fat in it in the US, i've learned to bring some home from other countries as many of them use fat in their milk but the US does not for some reason. France, Mexico, Brazil, and Nepal all have dried milk with fat. Milkman milk has more than most but is still considered non-fat. good luck in your search. I agree that milk with fat in it tastes much better.