PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad with hennessy ...

fivefour
04-02-2006, 02:11
is it necessary to use a sleepind pad in a hennessy ?

hammock engineer
04-02-2006, 03:45
Not on warm nights or if you have an underquilt. It is just a form of bottom insulation against cooling due to convection.

neo
04-02-2006, 06:36
is it necessary to use a sleepind pad in a hennessy ?

only if you want to stay warm on cold nights,in the summer i dont use a pad:cool: neo

MacGyver2005
04-02-2006, 10:34
For me I think 50ºF is my limit without something under me. After that a simple closed cell blue foam pad takes me down comfortably to freezing. This is using a 25ºF Kelty Lightyear sleeping bag.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Phreak
04-02-2006, 11:34
I never use a pad with my hammock. Even in winter time, I just carry a warmer sleeping bag and skip the pad all together.

Just Jeff
04-02-2006, 14:14
Check here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

swede
04-02-2006, 22:48
I just returned from a 3 niter with lows around 40, some rain. Had a good experience with my Thermarest Expedition in my HH. It did shift some, but when I raised the foot end a little higher than usual, it stayed put. I used my bag as a quilt. Another tip; even though I use bungee cords as tensioners, high winds pulled a tarp stake loose, and launched it to some unknown place. I'm going to spray paint the tops of the stakes orange to give me a chance next time. The winds also frayed the bugnet along the ridgeline. Is there a remedy for that?

Just Jeff
04-02-2006, 23:35
Was your tarp laying on the bugnet? I don't understand how the winds frayed it.

Rifleman
04-03-2006, 02:49
As usual, shameless self-promotion by a so-called 'expert.'
fivefour, the simple answer is no its not necessary to use a pad in a HH. Of course using any insulation, under or over the occupant depends on night-time temps and wind. Do yourself a favor fivefour. Go to a bunch of sites (including this one) and do your own testing. Don't take any one individual's advice. It might just save your life.:-?
R.

River Runner
04-03-2006, 03:33
I like some sort of insulation below about 60 F. I've tried the Hennessy SuperShelter, which is a bit of a pain to set up. Right now, I'm switching to a 25" wide Ridgerest, with the top and corners trimmed off to fit my Ultralight Backpacker model better - it's super easy to set up and a good bit warmer.

stag3
04-03-2006, 07:33
Last week we had 29 F weather in Texas and I used the blue WalMart eggcrate and the T'rest Z lite. No problem keeping warm. The Wm pad had been cut to 36 inches and turned sideways to give the effect of side insulation. This was under the Z lite.

The biggest drawback to the WM and Z lite pads is the bulk compared to the T'rest inflateable pad.

fivefour
04-03-2006, 10:22
i think i am going without a sleeping pad this first attempt. i expect lows in the upper 30's with a 35 degree bag. this trip will only be 3 nights so even if i am uncomfortable it will not last long.

does hanging the hammock closer to the ground help ? i know that ground temps would affect this as well.

also one last question ... how long did it take for your hennessy to arrive ? i received tracking info from canada post and it estimates the package arrival the day after i leave for my easter weekend hike. i am hoping that it will arrive at least one day earlier. PLEASE PLEASE MR. POSTMAN !

Just Jeff
04-03-2006, 10:28
i think i am going without a sleeping pad this first attempt. i expect lows in the upper 30's with a 35 degree bag.

Yikes! I'll be really surprised if you get any sleep without some bottom insulation in those conditions. But like Rifleman said, testing is the only way to find out how your body works in any setup. Have a great trip and let us know how it turns out!

Fiddleback
04-03-2006, 10:42
Try to do some backyard experiments before you hit the trail. Better to find out it's too cold somewhere you can easily bail back into your bed then to spend a night or two on the trail shivering. Everybody sleeps differently...it'll take time to find what works for you with the most simplicity, least weight, and bulk. My favorite ('cause it's the only one I've ever used) is the 40"X60"X¼" pad from Oware. It only weighs 7oz but is bulky to pack.

FB

fivefour
04-03-2006, 10:59
i do sleep HOT but i think you guys are right. experimentation should be done first at home before the trail. i will bring my therma-rest along just in case.

hammock engineer
04-03-2006, 12:10
I'll have to agree with everyone else, do some testing first. I was to cold on the bottom to sleep in my HH at 40 degress with a 0 degress synthic bag without a sleeping pad.

stag3
04-03-2006, 12:32
30/35 degrees is really cold. I think anyone who has hammocked can tell you about rolling over against the side of the hammock---instant cold. The problem is that the bag or quilt insulation compresses. The same thing happens to the bottom of a sleeping bag. IMO, it doesn't matter the bag temp rateing.

For sure you will need something under you.

fivefour
04-03-2006, 12:49
thanks, i would have tried it without ... but not now.

jlb2012
04-03-2006, 13:56
I was thinking about the issue of sweat buildup on one's back when using a CCF pad in a hammock and was wondering what ya'll would think about a possible solution that I thought of - in particular put a cheap piece of carpet on the CCF - the carpet would be relatively stiff so it would not bunch up like a fleece throw might when moving around in the hammock and the short pile (this is _cheap_ carpet) would wick the sweat away. The carpet would only need to be big enough to cover the areas where the sweat buildup is an issue and could be either strapped onto the CCF pad or possibly loosely stitched onto the pad.

hammock engineer
04-03-2006, 19:28
I had a condensation problem. I fixed it by getting into my sleeping bag. It can take some manuvering, but it is possible.

swede
04-03-2006, 20:24
Was your tarp laying on the bugnet? I don't understand how the winds frayed it.
Jeff, The tarp had clearance from the ridgeline, but I don't know how long the stake had pulled free when I returned to the site. It could have happened during that time. A windy night. First noticed it the next morning. I also need to check the plastic hooks that are mounted on the ridgeline. If the tops aren't smooth, maybe they picked the net. If I come to a conclusion I'll post. I didn't know if other users wrapped the line to prevent this problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:confused:

fivefour
04-06-2006, 12:27
my hennessy arrived a full week ahead of schedule so i have plenty of time to experiment.

hammock engineer
04-06-2006, 12:53
my hennessy arrived a full week ahead of schedule so i have plenty of time to experiment.

Great.

One thing that caused me a lot of trouble at first was mounting the stock tarp. If you can, attach it to the trees. If not put it on the ridgeline, stake it out, get in the hammock, then get out and readjust the tarp. This will make a lot of sense after you try it.

Also look into tarp tensioners, on Jeff's site. One last thing, make sure the tarp is oriented in the correct way. The tarp guy lines should match up with the hammock side tie outs.

Those little things caused me a lot of problems at first. Good luck.

fivefour
04-06-2006, 13:08
i read alot of info on how to hang it and thought i knew exactly what i needed to do, but i can see this is going to take a little hands on experience. thanks for the tips !