PDA

View Full Version : Contact options in case of emergency

Dripline
06-17-2022, 10:28
I'm planning a hike in the beginning of the trail in Georgia starting at Springer. Are there any phone numbers for rangers or emergency personnel in case of injury? Do Garmin watches work well on the trail? Can you get cell phone signal or is a satellite phone recommended?

ldsailor
06-17-2022, 11:01
If a Garmin watch has GPS, it will work anywhere on the trail. If you find trouble getting connected to the GPS satellites move into an area, which is open to the sky, but that would be an unusual case. If you have a smartphone, download the Far Out app. It will give you information about whether or not you are on the trail, shelter locations, water locations, towns with services, etc.

If you are concerned about reaching someone in the case of an emergency, get an InReach device or Spot device. InReach let's you do messaging and has an SOS feature. I understand the newer Spot devices also include messaging and have an SOS feature. Both devices can send out "I'm okay" messages.

There is no 100% trail coverage for cell phones. I have found that Verizon cell phones have the best coverage, though. I wouldn't buy a satellite phone unless you just have more money than you know what to do with. InReach or Spot will accomplish most of your contact needs - emergency or otherwise.

cmoulder
06-17-2022, 11:07
Many people these days use a Garmin InReach. I have the Mini (https://www.rei.com/product/140110/garmin-inreach-mini), which weighs 100g with batteries.

Google for oodles and oodles of info on this.

All I use mine for is to ping my wife daily to let her know where I am, but it has an SOS button for SHTF situations. It has a bunch of other functions but those are all I personally require.

Bati
06-17-2022, 17:29
Always have a sign-out person as a backup, regardless of what type of device you have. Someone with enough common sense not to panic if you're a bit late, or there's a storm, but who knows what kind of gear you have, what your plan is, and what type of hiker you are. They should be capable of using good judgement as to when to call for help.

I had a friend go down with a broken bone day hiking next to cliff that blocked all signals - her sign-out meant she was found when she didn't return on time.
I got caught in a bad storm and my sign-out was cool enough not to panic for a couple of extra days. Frankly, it wouldn't have done any good if he had, as the emergency crews were still rescuing people in houses that needed medical care and didn't start to search the woods for three or four days.

If you have medical issues or concerns, try to contact and update your sign-out once a day when you have phone signal, as it does shorten the time frame and help pin point your location in case something happens. But make sure they won't panic if they don't hear from you! Search and rescue teams are largely volunteers who risk personal injury and often lose pay from a 'real' job to help others. You don't want a sign out that calls them because you're 30 minutes late getting back to the car on a day hike, or 2 days late meandering through the 100-mile wilderness.

TwoSpirits
06-17-2022, 20:44
Always have a sign-out person as a backup, regardless of what type of device you have. Someone with enough common sense not to panic if you're a bit late, or there's a storm, but who knows what kind of gear you have, what your plan is, and what type of hiker you are. They should be capable of using good judgement as to when to call for help.

I had a friend go down with a broken bone day hiking next to cliff that blocked all signals - her sign-out meant she was found when she didn't return on time.
I got caught in a bad storm and my sign-out was cool enough not to panic for a couple of extra days. Frankly, it wouldn't have done any good if he had, as the emergency crews were still rescuing people in houses that needed medical care and didn't start to search the woods for three or four days.

If you have medical issues or concerns, try to contact and update your sign-out once a day when you have phone signal, as it does shorten the time frame and help pin point your location in case something happens. But make sure they won't panic if they don't hear from you! Search and rescue teams are largely volunteers who risk personal injury and often lose pay from a 'real' job to help others. You don't want a sign out that calls them because you're 30 minutes late getting back to the car on a day hike, or 2 days late meandering through the 100-mile wilderness.What Bati said, 100%. I've never heard the term "sign-out" person before, but this is really best practice. GPS gizmos & gadgets aren't always the answer (and I can be something of a gadget head, so I get the appeal.)

Another good idea is to find the numbers for various law enforcement agencies, or forest service management areas, etc, etc. the trail is taking you through -- put those numbers in your phone's contact list, write them down on paper stowed in your kit somewhere, and make sure your "sign-out" person has them. I also make sure that I pre-load numbers for various hostels & shuttlers as well. You can find many of those numbers in AWOL, Guthook's (or FarOut!), the AT Guide, or here.

gpburdelljr
06-17-2022, 22:11
911 is the universal emergency number, assuming you have cell service. A Garmin InReach, or similar device is your best bet. The Garmin has an interactive SOS, that is essentially like calling 911.

peakbagger
06-18-2022, 09:05
The US government handed a large valuable block of frequency spectrum to ATT in exchange for ATT building out their cellular network to cover 99% of the occupied areas of the country. They have building out cell coverage in rural areas. With the exception of NW Maine (where there are no public roads or power) the entire East Coast is or will be covered. 911 is your best option as all other high tech emergency services ultimately go through the 911 system.

cmoulder
06-18-2022, 12:33
InReach will (very likely... eventually:-?) work down in a deep hollow. A cellphone (quite probably) won't.

If I were injured and couldn't get to a ridge or find a cell signal, I'd want a satellite device. Recent discussion of Stephen "Otter" Olshanksy is instructive here.

I hike quite a bit in my backyard, which is Harriman State Park, and even though the whole area is peppered with cell towers both within and outside the park, there are many places where you still can't get a cell signal unless you're on a ridge.

Alligator
06-18-2022, 12:56
You can get your geographic position using plus codes in Google Maps whether you are online or offline as far as data. You would still need to be able to see enough satellites to get your geographic fix. For instance, not be in a deep hole. If you can communicate that to emergency services in some fashion, through text message or cell contact and they will be able to find you.

Alligator
06-18-2022, 13:01
In Android Google Maps, just touch the blue dot that shows your location. Bottom screen says "Your Location ". Swipe up and you will see the Plus Code at the bottom. You can copy that or you can just "Share Your Location" through another app.

gpburdelljr
06-18-2022, 13:59
There are rumors that the iPhone 14 may have satellite connection capabilities for emergencies.

From macrumors.com:

“…….Moreover, Gurman claimed that Apple is still working on bringing satellite connectivity features to the *iPhone*. Apple purportedly intended to introduce the feature with the iPhone 13 (https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/29/iphone-13-to-feature-leo-to-make-calls-and-text/) models, but the new functionality could be ready this year for the *iPhone 14* lineup. The satellite connectivity features are designed to report emergencies and send short texts to emergency contacts when no cellular service is available……”

Kittyslayer
06-18-2022, 14:49
Well the title mislead me but equally important as your ability to call out for help is for someone rescuing you to be able to reach your family/friend if you are unconscious. Also do you know your emergency contact's number or do you just use the contacts on your phone (that may not be working). Your in case of emergency contact can be a spouse, partner, parent, adult child, etc. Be sure to list more than one contact and that they are contacts who will be available. I list someone in addition to my wife since she is often hiking with me. Also let your contacts know they are listed and to take the call from that "unknown" number instead of letting it go to voicemail when you are out hiking.

It is also important to have your emergency contacts where the rescuer can find it. If it is buried in the bottom of your pack they will not have time to look for it. In addition your pack may get separated from you. If contacts are on your phone and it is broken, dead battery, bottom of river/ravine it is useless to the rescuer. Do you carry your wallet in your pocket or in your pack?

Good options are dog tags, an emergency contact bracelet, info on your watch. Somewhere on your body if you get up and run from a bear in the middle of the night or stumble and fall into your cathole. There are lots of ID options out there, our family uses RoadID.com and have been very happy with their products.

Coffee
06-18-2022, 16:13
I have the inReach and it has worked well for me. Before that, I had a SPOT, but that didn't have two-way texting capabilities. The InReach has it, and that's crucial for me because I not only want to be able to communicate messages to family (or emergency services if needed), but I also need to be able to receive messages in case there's an emergency at home and I need to get off trail. The InReach does that very well. I have the InReach "Freedom" plan so I don't pay ongoing fees unless I need to activate service. Lately, I have hardly been backpacking so I haven't been using this. For day hikes (usually in Shenandoah National Park), I take my chances with my cell phone. I get good reception from my cell phone along the ridges where the AT runs, but not on the side trails that drop into hollows. Sat devices are crucial for the high Sierra where the only places you can kind of get reception, sometimes, are the east-west passes with a good view of the Owens Valley (Bishop, Kearsarge, Mt. Whitney, Shepherd have had reception for me). No cell reception along the JMT.

One Half
06-18-2022, 18:41
Many people these days use a Garmin InReach. I have the Mini (https://www.rei.com/product/140110/garmin-inreach-mini), which weighs 100g with batteries.

Google for oodles and oodles of info on this.

All I use mine for is to ping my wife daily to let her know where I am, but it has an SOS button for SHTF situations. It has a bunch of other functions but those are all I personally require.
I use the mini and it seems to have become ubiquitous on the AT this year. For men and women.

There are 3 preset messages where the text and receiver(s) are predefined. My 3 go to #TheOtherHalf
My 3 are:
I am starting my hike
I am ending my hike/camping here
I love you. Good Morning/Night.
Note that these messages will also give GPS location automatically.

There are also 20 predefined text messages you can set. The only difference with these is that you have to choose the receiver(s) of the message when you send them. I have a bunch that are set and a few I will change each hike. Some of the ones I change are "progress points." A progress point would be "I crossed the GA/NC border." Or I made it to point XXX." Milestone points maybe. I also set up at least 2 but usually 3 places to get picked up - bail out points in case. Since I have a printed trail guide at home I will include the page of the trail guide and the grid coordinates of where I can be met in addition to the "common name." For example (using WhiteBlaze Pages 2020): Pick me up at Winding Stair Gap (page 27) 35.11975,-83.54818

I also have some preset texts like this:

I am activating my SOS for someone else.
Edit

I injured myself and others are helping me off trail. Will message you when/where to pick me up
Edit

I injured myself but am able to get to a trailhead. Will message you when/where to pick me up
Edit

Need alternate pickup. Will message you location when I get there.
Edit

I have alerted through SOS that I need assistance to get off trail. But I am safe just in need of assistance
Edit

Edit

I'm going to be late.
Edit

No cell service here. All is well.
Edit

ETA to pickup location 2hrs
Edit

ETA to pickup location 1hr

Traveler
06-19-2022, 07:23
As a thought...

Like many of us do, have assumed for years I would be the one calling/going for help in an emergency situation. After hearing a police officer at an accident scene state he wished more people would list an "in case of emergency" (ICE) number in their cellular phone directories. Though the ICE number(s) will likely never have to be used, but if needed they can prove to be a good emergency contact option if one is incapacitated.

Dripline
06-20-2022, 19:56
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I'll look into the options. Just to be a little more transparent, this concern came about after hiking the first leg of the trail from Springer mountain to Woody Gap. The plan was to do it in one day. This is where you all say we were nuts. I understand. I was with my wife 62, son 24, both in excellent shape. I was 62 at the time and for several years prior we did a section each year in Georgia without any problem as a day hike. I think the longest was 13+ miles. So we were confident with an early start that it could be done. Well we made it to FR 69/42 intersection (8 miles) where I totally crapped out. Zero energy; couldn't walk another step. Thankfully we got lucky and a gentleman in a truck happened by and drove us back to the Springer parking lot. Don't know what would have happened otherwise. It was a day hike and we had no tent, sleeping bags or any other necessities. I should have known better since I was an avid Adirondacks hiker in my teens. Some serious wilderness there. If it was an easy phone call out for help it would have been less stressful.