PDA

View Full Version : Why is Baltimore Jack not in the Appalachian Trail Museum Hall of Fame?

wyclif
06-22-2022, 21:01
Bob Peoples is in the Hall of Fame, and rightly so. And lots of other worthies who are still with us.

But Baltimore Jack is, alas, no longer with us but is at the very least equally worthy of inclusion in the Hall of Fame. He was the greatest ambassador the AT has ever had in the modern, popularized-trail era (i.e. the 21st century). And his eight through hikes, exploits, hijinks, expert knowledge of the Trail, not to mention his endless "giving back" to the Trail itself and the Trail community is legendary and needs no explanation.

So why isn't Jack in the Hall of Fame? Why hasn't he been nominated and what is the process for that? Is his exclusion political, or is there some other reason?

Astro
06-22-2022, 23:02
Not aware of what the process is, but based upon my encounters with him and his willingness to share his experience along with his track record, I would consider him a well deserved addition.

TJ aka Teej
06-22-2022, 23:42
I doubt Jack would've wanted it.

Captain Blue
06-23-2022, 13:06
So why isn't Jack in the Hall of Fame?

Have you formally nominated him for the AT Hall of Fame and had him declined?

gpburdelljr
06-23-2022, 14:59
Nominations are solicited from the public each year. For 2022 the deadlines for nominations was 1/31/2022.

https://www.atmuseum.org/news/nominations-for-2022-appalachian-trail-hall-of-fame-accepted-through-january-31

wyclif
06-23-2022, 20:54
Have you formally nominated him for the AT Hall of Fame and had him declined?

I haven't, not because I wouldn't nominate him but because I'm unaware of what the nomination process is.

wyclif
06-23-2022, 20:56
Nominations are solicited from the public each year. For 2022 the deadlines for nominations was 1/31/2022.

https://www.atmuseum.org/news/nominations-for-2022-appalachian-trail-hall-of-fame-accepted-through-january-31

Thanks for posting this; I'd never read it before and now I know how this works.