PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking w/ Guitar

harmonioushand
04-02-2006, 18:21
So I just bought a Montana Travel Guitar online that I haven't recieved yet. This summer I'm hiking Vermont and New Hampshire of the the AT and I was wondering if anyone can suggest any good ways of carrying it around. I only paid $87 total for the guitar and shipping so it's not like I can't replace it if it gets damaged but I would like to do my best to try and keep it in good shape while I'm hiking. My idea is wrapping the guitar in a plastic bag and then making a bubble wrap bag fitted for the guitar, then putting it in the gig bag and strapping it to the outside of my pack. The plastic bag would protect it in case of rain and the bubble wrap would be padding. Good days all:D

SGTdirtman
04-02-2006, 18:28
Theres only 2 musical instruments suited for hiking... the harmonica, and the triangle

learn to play one of those :D

Tinker
04-02-2006, 18:32
My gig bag is lightly padded. I just made a form fitting plastic bag out of 6 mil plastic and duct tape. Make sure the ends of your strings are trimmed close to the tuning pegs or they can catch on the plastic bag and tear it, or, you can put a small nylon ditty bag over the head of the guitar for extra protection for the plastic bag.

My travel guitar:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/253492996/1253563662059664855oPfgzx

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the plastic bag insert. I hadn't made it at the time I posted the guitar pics.

Doctari
04-02-2006, 18:33
In 02 a thru hiker was carrying one, he kept it in TWO heavyduty plastic bags, one upright, the other over that, therfore no opeining at the top. He then strapped it to the outside of the pack (the front, since you hike back to back with your pack). I always thought that the plastic bags were a great idea, didn't think the instriment on the outside was very safe, but I know he carried it at least 100 miles like that, so maybe it's safe.

He sounded very good the two times I heard him. So, as a note, PLEASE learn / know how to play before hitting the trail. Thanks!

Doctari.

Tinker
04-02-2006, 19:04
My gig bag is lightly padded. I just made a form fitting plastic bag out of 6 mil plastic and duct tape. Make sure the ends of your strings are trimmed close to the tuning pegs or they can catch on the plastic bag and tear it, or, you can put a small nylon ditty bag over the head of the guitar for extra protection for the plastic bag.

My travel guitar:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/253492996/1253563662059664855oPfgzx

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the plastic bag insert. I hadn't made it at the time I posted the guitar pics.

I just looked the Montana Guitar up on the internet. It looks exactly like mine. If it is, it will take quite a while for the wood to stabilize so the guitar stays in tune. Mine drove me nuts for about five months before It settled down.