PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Pico Camp Shelter heads up

somers515
07-24-2022, 20:47
From a Long Trail FB page that I'm a member of I read a warning of a man named "Salt" who arrived late last night, made lots of noise and reportedly started signing "burn Pico burn, everybody burn". The 4 hikers there left after he started signing that and reported it to the authorities. I normally wouldn't pass along this type of warning but I've now read about this type of bad experience at Pico camp due to "Salt" several times now in this FB group and just wanted to make sure the whiteblaze community had the heads up as well. Stay safe all!

JNI64
07-24-2022, 22:16
Signing you mean spray painting?

somers515
07-25-2022, 06:42
Signing you mean spray painting?

typo, sorry meant: singing

Seatbelt
07-25-2022, 07:11
Sounds like a new way to "clear out" a shelter in order to have it all to yourself.

JNI64
07-25-2022, 12:16
That's when the 4 hikers should've started singing " go ahead and try there's 4 against 1 and we'll rip you apart " " la la la la la !

Onemorehill
07-27-2022, 18:39
Wish it were that simple. Itís not when you are on the mountain with a mentally ill individual and fearful for your safety.

peakbagger
07-27-2022, 19:04
Like many states there is no good support system for mentally challenged folks. VT like many states basically closed any institutions and send folks out on their own. Unless they get violent, not much the police can do who are expected to be the first responders (and have no specific training). At best they will intervene and then drop the individual somewhere but they will be back on the street soon. The OP did the best thing, just head on down the trail. Its a bummer as Pico Cabin is definitely quite the funky little shelter but not worth getting into a confrontation.

JNI64
07-27-2022, 19:09
Yeah why bother with it, just keep letting the bad guy win .

JNI64
07-27-2022, 21:08
Like many states there is no good support system for mentally challenged folks. VT like many states basically closed any institutions and send folks out on their own. Unless they get violent, not much the police can do who are expected to be the first responders (and have no specific training). At best they will intervene and then drop the individual somewhere but they will be back on the street soon. The OP did the best thing, just head on down the trail. Its a bummer as Pico Cabin is definitely quite the funky little shelter but not worth getting into a confrontation.

I agree 100% with all this. I just don't think that everyone that acts stupid has a real mental problem. I think there are just mean people, thugs,bully,A-holes that get off on scaring people.
And I'm just tired of seeing the bad guys do bad things and just let out again to repeat.

Tim Rich
07-28-2022, 10:05
I agree 100% with all this. I just don't think that everyone that acts stupid has a real mental problem. I think there are just mean people, thugs,bully,A-holes that get off on scaring people.
And I'm just tired of seeing the bad guys do bad things and just let out again to repeat.

I think your trail name could be Mister Inbetween...:)

https://youtu.be/AftqKW8h5ic?t=217

Tim Rich
07-28-2022, 10:06

JNI64
07-28-2022, 10:42

LOL, thank you I'll take it . And I kinda look like that dude with bald head and mustache. And most unfortunate the good guy has to anger management and the bad guys just move to the next victim!

chef4
07-28-2022, 19:33
If you want to explore your response to potentially dangerous people, de Becker’s ‘the gift of fear’ is an interesting read. Some of his methods would likely be helpful when dealing with the rare stressful person interaction on the trail, although what he mainly emphasizes is trusting your gut, and moving on when doubtful. I ran into an eccentric hiker in the NE on a thru hike, at a rather remote shelter a half mile off trail. He was clearly not a thruhiker and seemed most likely just a bit odd in his comments. Since I was otherwise alone I just decided to move on, even though I thought the risk was probably fairly low.