PDA

View Full Version : Powdered eggs and powdered milk.

The Miracle Man
08-05-2022, 18:23
I did a search and nothing came back. It just returned me back to the beginning here of the cooking and food forum again.

Has anyone carried and used powdered eggs on trail and also powdered milk?
If so how was it for you, positive?
Still planning out and researching menu items for my '23 thru-hike. Thanks!

MM

peakbagger
08-05-2022, 18:47
Never used the powdered eggs except for mixes when I occasionally carried a backpacking oven. I did use Nido powdered milk on several trips, its a definite improvement over regular powdered milk which is fat free. Nido has spray dried fat in it. Regular powdered milk can be improved by adding coffee creamer which is spray dried fat, milk solids and flavoring. Both are an acquired taste compared to milk from a bottle, but after a day or two it goes good with cereal in the morning and works pretty good for Jello instant pudding. I split up the Jello instant pudding into two servings at home and add the powdered milk at home and put it in a ziplock bag. When I am at the campsite I just add the coldest water I can find, shake it, let it sit while I am making supper and then just clip off the corner of the bag and squeeze it into my mouth. No clean up.

On one of my section hikes, I met a crew of thru hikers in Maine who were obsessed by kids breakfast cereal. Some had Count Chocula, some Cocoa Puffs and some had Captain Crunch and all of them mixed it with Nido for breakfast.

The Miracle Man
08-05-2022, 19:05
Great insight and a lot to soak up. Ha! I made a funny :)
Of course I am going to be test driving all this stuff in planning out my hobo cooking. Scrambled eggs would make a nice addition to the regular staples list along with my Quaker instant grits and pancakes.

MM

JNI64
08-05-2022, 19:23
The powdered dehydrated eggs are rubbery and not so good.
The freeze dried eggs are much better Google ova easy freeze dried eggs makes scramble eggs taste just like at home.
And I do like Nido mix with protein powder.

peakbagger
08-05-2022, 19:39
We used to do blueberry corn muffins up at the backcountry campsites at Baxter State Park with blueberries we picked. The muffin mixes we used had powdered eggs mixed in but they normally needed powdered milk. The one exception was Dromedary Ginger Bread mix (no longer made). That was great stuff!

RangerZ
08-05-2022, 20:07
+1 on the Nido and instant pudding.

when I’ve carried Cheerios for breakfast I mix the Nido separately and pour into the Cheerios. I cannot even imagine mixing the Cheerios and Nido and then pouring water into my Cheerios. ( The Lone Ranger never did that )

RangerZ

Never used the powdered eggs except for mixes when I occasionally carried a backpacking oven. I did use Nido powdered milk on several trips, its a definite improvement over regular powdered milk which is fat free. Nido has spray dried fat in it. Regular powdered milk can be improved by adding coffee creamer which is spray dried fat, milk solids and flavoring. Both are an acquired taste compared to milk from a bottle, but after a day or two it goes good with cereal in the morning and works pretty good for Jello instant pudding. I split up the Jello instant pudding into two servings at home and add the powdered milk at home and put it in a ziplock bag. When I am at the campsite I just add the coldest water I can find, shake it, let it sit while I am making supper and then just clip off the corner of the bag and squeeze it into my mouth. No clean up.

On one of my section hikes, I met a crew of thru hikers in Maine who were obsessed by kids breakfast cereal. Some had Count Chocula, some Cocoa Puffs and some had Captain Crunch and all of them mixed it with Nido for breakfast.

peakbagger
08-05-2022, 20:23
Jello Instant pudding was my standard evening post hike sugar buzz. Lots of varieties.

gpburdelljr
08-05-2022, 22:13
OvaEasy powdered eggs aren’t bad. $11.95 for the equivalent of 12 eggs at REI, so not exactly cheap.

perrymk
08-06-2022, 05:33
I experimented with making my own FBC meals. I found dried eggs and cheese were tasty but hard to clean off the spoon. I ended with mostly vegan FBC meals, but I'm vegetarian anyway so not a big deal.

somers515
08-06-2022, 06:53
One of my favorite backpacking breakfasts is 3/4 cup of granola and 3 tablespoons of powdered milk. I've used the store brand powdered milk with no issues. Once on trail, I just add water enough to cover and a quick mix. Easy peasy.

When I want eggs, I've used Mountain House meals but that isn't too often.

Crossbar
08-06-2022, 09:06
Freeze dried eggs for me. Easy cleanup.

Deadeye
08-06-2022, 11:09
I think the freeze dried eggs are pretty good, esp. if they have something extra in them - like sausage. Never cared much for the powdered eggs or the cleanup they require. My usual breakfast now is just granola out of the bag, and a coffee/instant breakfast mocha.

gpburdelljr
08-06-2022, 11:22
Powdered eggs can be used in freezer bag cooking to avoid a cleanup mess.

colorado_rob
08-06-2022, 19:15
Try freeze dried eggs rehydrated/warm, then wrap them in a tortilla and gently fry in butter in a small skillet. Add salsa. Wow. Our favorite "splurge" breakfast, when we feel like carrying the 6 ounces of skillet and a bit of butter.

zelph
08-06-2022, 20:31
I cannot even imagine mixing the Cheerios and Nido and then pouring water into my Cheerios. ( The Lone Ranger never did that )

RangerZ

Put cereal into bowl, sprinkle Nido on top and then pour water over and then mix. That's how the Lone Ranger and Tonto did it.;)

The Miracle Man
08-06-2022, 21:12
Put cereal into bowl, sprinkle Nido on top and then pour water over and then mix. That's how the Lone Ranger and Tonto did it.;)
Those guys used sasparilla, kimosabe. Just sayin'...

Birthright
08-07-2022, 10:54
NO to powdered eggs. Yes to powdered milk. I just buy eggs as I get to stores along the trail and cook them up fresh.

zelph
08-07-2022, 13:49
Those guys used sasparilla, kimosabe. Just sayin'...

That would work for me also...but.....Iv'e been known to speak with forked tounge when it comes to edibles :D

Deadeye
08-07-2022, 17:10
I cannot even imagine mixing the Cheerios and Nido and then pouring water into my CheeriosRangerZ

Don't see why not? You pour milk on your Cheerios... this way saves a step in the process. It's what I do when I want milk on my granola on trail, but I usually just eat it out of the bag dry.

To each his own!

gpburdelljr
08-07-2022, 17:29
Don't see why not? You pour milk on your Cheerios... this way saves a step in the process. It's what I do when I want milk on my granola on trail, but I usually just eat it out of the bag dry.

To each his own!
I don’t see how it saves a step, just rearranges the sequence. If you put water in your bowl, then add Nido to make milk, followed by Cheerios, it’s the same number of steps, just in a different order.

HankIV
08-07-2022, 18:53

To each his own!

That’s pretty much what all the packaged backpacking granolas are; some powdered milk and granola. Perfectly delicious.

Tim Rich
08-07-2022, 22:40
I dump some powdered milk into my morning oatmeal, helps the flavor and adds calories.

cmoulder
08-08-2022, 16:42
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill europeen muesli with two heapin' tablespoons of Nido. Add about 5oz hot water, stir and wait 2 minutes. Can add raisins or craisins as desired. Makes a big breakfast that really sticks for a while.

I used to eat 2 packets of Quaker instant oats and was hungry again 20 minutes later.

When I eat eggs, they're freeze dried. Powder doesn't work for me.

Odd Man Out
08-08-2022, 17:55
My breakfast for my Grand Canyon hike last April was oatmeal (traditional, not qiuck/instant) with powdered buttermilk (from King Arthur), maple suagr, salt, cinnamon. Pretty good. The buttermilk as a bit sour, but i had it the pantry and didn't want to buy a big jug of Nido just for a few tablespoons (our store only has family size containers). The other trick is i dont cook the oatmeal, but just add boiling water. Cooked oatmeal just turns into glue in my pot, and instant is just evil tasting. But old fashioned oats wit boiling water has a nice consistency and easy to clean.

Turk6177
08-10-2022, 18:04
One of my go to breakfasts on the trail is Nido with Captain Crunch. Good calories and almost as good as eating it with whole milk.

peakbagger
08-10-2022, 18:45
Nido doesnt keep that well, in my experience is that it may not spoil but the taste gets "off" in the long term. Coffee creamer seems to last forever, I dont drink coffee and I think my creamer may be 20 years old.

maremieisen
08-02-2023, 06:47
I actually use Nido or Klim at home, because if I buy fresh milk, it inevitably goes bad before I remember to use it, unless I'm buying it specifically for a recipe where I'm using it up immediately. I hear Peak brand is even better, but it's quite a but more expensive. I just got a canister of Nido from Amazon, and I mix it up a cup at a time, and mainly use it for my two cups of coffee a day, but I mix it up double strength to help me use it up faster and make my coffee even creamier.

CalebJ
08-02-2023, 07:58
I actually use Nido or Klim at home, because if I buy fresh milk, it inevitably goes bad before I remember to use it, unless I'm buying it specifically for a recipe where I'm using it up immediately. I hear Peak brand is even better, but it's quite a but more expensive. I just got a canister of Nido from Amazon, and I mix it up a cup at a time, and mainly use it for my two cups of coffee a day, but I mix it up double strength to help me use it up faster and make my coffee even creamier.
I keep it on hand all the time too. Goes great in protein shakes and I don't have to worry about spoiling milk in the fridge (I don't use much milk otherwise).

Tipi Walter
08-02-2023, 12:57
Or just take a dozen store bought fresh eggs and hump the weight. They last me 3 weeks out in the field if not broken or cracked. On one trip I took 18 eggs---heavy yes but delicious. You can add a single egg to hot oatmeal or soups and therefore don't need a fry pan. And the weight drops day by day of course.

You can also hard boil a couple eggs and mix them with vegan mayonnaise for egg salad---something I crave when out on a trip.

I put this in a plastic jar and add it to all my dinner soups as a garnish---and unlike real mayo it lasts for weeks on a trip---at least it does for me.

Mayo on left, peanut butter on right.

CalebJ
08-02-2023, 14:52
Or just take a dozen store bought fresh eggs and hump the weight. They last me 3 weeks out in the field if not broken or cracked. On one trip I took 18 eggs---heavy yes but delicious. You can add a single egg to hot oatmeal or soups and therefore don't need a fry pan. And the weight drops day by day of course.

You can also hard boil a couple eggs and mix them with vegan mayonnaise for egg salad---something I crave when out on a trip.

I put this in a plastic jar and add it to all my dinner soups as a garnish---and unlike real mayo it lasts for weeks on a trip---at least it does for me.

Mayo on left, peanut butter on right.
All of that is easier to justify when your pack -already- weighs 100 pounds and you spend most of your time parked on the same piece of land for three weeks.

RockDoc
08-07-2023, 11:58
We used dehydrated whole eggs from Amazon, makes very good scrambled eggs. We add dehydrated bacon, hamburger, dehydrated cheddar cheese for a savory high protein breakfast.

Trying to avoid the high carb/sugar diet insulin rollercoaster trap that most hikers fall into, with bad downstream consequences--Yeah you can do that when your 20, but after 50 you're asking for it.

G-FOURce
01-12-2024, 16:31
Reviving the dead...

OvaEasy dehydrated egg crystals (Amazon)
Quaker instant cheese grits (everywhere in the South)
Trailtopia sausage crumbles (Amazon)
Kate Naturals powdered heavy cream (Amazon)
Its Just! butter powder (Amazon)

Delish trail breakfast. I would guess you could add water to the OvaEasy eggs and scramble them separately if you wanted just eggs or the consistency of them. I'm too lazy for all that (plus, no pan to clean) and this concoction works wonderfully for me. Note: keep the sausage by itself b/c you'll want to rehydrate that first b/c it takes longer. I soak mine for about 10 mins, add all the other stuff, add a little more water, stir, and let it sit another 5-7 minutes.