PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington Bypass

Askus3
04-02-2006, 21:50
Based on the article below, I believe we ought to start making recommendations on how to bypass the Mt. Washington, NH area. I am in favor of turning east at Lakes Hut, follow the Camel Trail, Davis Path and Glen Boulder Trail, cross NH 16 at Glen Ellis Falls. Then we will be back on track on the Wildcat Ridge Trail. But the views from the Wildcats just will not be the same, maybe more far reaching but the foreground will be a blemish! Also, I will miss the Presidential ridge walk from Clay all the way around to Madison. Well that is progress.

4/1/2006

Mount Washington site of new Target Supercenter
Rock Blastin

NORTH CONWAY—Plans have been approved to level Mount Washington to make way for a new Target Supercenter.
“Brown and Root Contracting is happy to help shoppers in the state of New Hampshire by removing an impediment like Mount Washington and replacing it with convenient merchandise displayed under the finest fluorescent lights available,” said a spokesman for Brown & Root.
The new store will offer 20 square miles of products available at Wal-Mart, only kitschier.
A Target spokesperson added “North Conway’s economy needs a place that offers commercials peppier than Wal-Mart’s, yet not as annoying as Old Navy's.”
Target is expected to employ up to 200 people who are fed up with their jobs at Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowe's.
Planning board members pooh-poohed environmentalists who have expressed concern over demolishing a landmark like Mount Washington, explaining that getting rid of the mountain will improve everyone’s view. “That mountain has been in the way for some years now,” planning board member Rich N. Retiyerd said, “and it’s high time we did something about it.”
Blasting is expected to begin once skiing at Tuckerman Ravine has ended.
Target's spokesperson added, “Now that this has been approved, we’re looking to build a Sam’s Club on the future former site of Mount Chocorua.”
__________________________________________________ ____________

Found this thread on VFTT website and thought I'd embellish and add some thoughts. Actually, the way Mt. Washington is now it definitely is busier (especially May-Oct.) than if a Target is placed there and for many it is an eyesore of a summit the way it is now.

weary
04-02-2006, 22:01
Based on the article below, I believe we ought to start making recommendations on how to bypass the Mt. Washington, NH area. I am in favor of turning east at Lakes Hut, follow the Camel Trail, Davis Path and Glen Boulder Trail, cross NH 16 at Glen Ellis Falls. Then we will be back on track on the Wildcat Ridge Trail. But the views from the Wildcats just will not be the same, maybe more far reaching but the foreground will be a blemish! Also, I will miss the Presidential ridge walk from Clay all the way around to Madison. Well that is progress......”
Well, having wandered over Mt. Washinton a few times, I'm inclined to think that it may take a while to totally dismantle the mountain to supermarket parking lot standards.

Let's all of us think carefully about the possibilities and report back next APRIL 1 -- you know APRIL 1, the first announcement of this nefarious plan. APRIL or bust, I say.

Weary