PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question about tents

shoe
04-02-2006, 22:52
So I went and got my backpack and sleeping bag out of storage (let's not talk about the weight on these 2) and grabbed the tent I just got.

Well after putting both the tent (REI quarterdome) and sleeping bag (Mountain Hardwear 0 degree) in the huge 6 pound pack (old Kelty Tornado), well there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room left for food, water, clothes. (This is after buying a compression sack for the bag) There is room but it just doesn't look like enough.

Can tents go into compression sacks or is this a bad idea?

thanks

yes, I know if I had a hammock this would eliminate the tent and therefore would eliminate the stupid tent question. ;)

Shutterbug
04-02-2006, 22:58
So I went and got my backpack and sleeping bag out of storage (let's not talk about the weight on these 2) and grabbed the tent I just got.

Well after putting both the tent (REI quarterdome) and sleeping bag (Mountain Hardwear 0 degree) in the huge 6 pound pack (old Kelty Tornado), well there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room left for food, water, clothes. (This is after buying a compression sack for the bag) There is room but it just doesn't look like enough.

Can tents go into compression sacks or is this a bad idea?

thanks

yes, I know if I had a hammock this would eliminate the tent and therefore would eliminate the stupid tent question. ;)

My tent came in a compression bag. I can't think of a reason not to put your tent in one.

hikerjohnd
04-02-2006, 23:11
Sure - you can put a tent in a compression sack with no problems. Also - don't forget you can lash stuff to the outside of the pack - I used to keep my tent on the outside of my pack when room inside was tight. It had the added benefit of not getting everything wet when I had to pack up camp after an evening of showers.

stag3
04-02-2006, 23:23
Seems like a few months ago there was a post regarding use of a stuff sack or folding. The stuff sack side said the the constant folding of a tent on the same lines would wear at the fold lines. This would not happen with a stuff sack since there are no fold lines. Maybe my memory is bad, but there was general agreement that stuff sacks would probably be best.

Orignially I neatly folded my tent, but now I stuff it. Same for my hammock. Besides, it's faster and easier to stuff.

Footslogger
04-02-2006, 23:27
They can ...but it's probably not a very good idea. Tents get damp and they need to be aired out. Otherwise they stick to themselves and get mildew.

'Slogger

bulldog49
04-02-2006, 23:36
They can ...but it's probably not a very good idea. Tents get damp and they need to be aired out. Otherwise they stick to themselves and get mildew.

'Slogger

That is true for long term storage, but it won't mildew out on the trail when you are taking it out and setting it up every day.

Emsadida
04-03-2006, 00:14
Seems like a few months ago there was a post regarding use of a stuff sack or folding. The stuff sack side said the the constant folding of a tent on the same lines would wear at the fold lines. This would not happen with a stuff sack since there are no fold lines. Maybe my memory is bad, but there was general agreement that stuff sacks would probably be best.

While I was in Scouts, we always folded our tents the exact same way every time. Maybe it was just the nylon from the Eureka Timberlines but I never noticed any extra wear and tear from always folding.

I'm not sure if that's diffrent for the Silinylon tents and such but I guess YMMV...

shoe
04-03-2006, 00:15
Thanks,

I didn't think it would be a problem but wanted to make sure.

Footslogger
04-03-2006, 09:06
That is true for long term storage, but it won't mildew out on the trail when you are taking it out and setting it up every day.
================================
I agree ...plus if you get the tent out and set it up or drape it over a tree branch as soon as you get to your campsite it'll probably dry out pretty fast. I was thinking of stowing it for a longer period of time.

'Slogger

RockyTrail
04-03-2006, 09:45
================================
I agree ...plus if you get the tent out and set it up or drape it over a tree branch as soon as you get to your campsite it'll probably dry out pretty fast. I was thinking of stowing it for a longer period of time.

'Slogger

And that's the great thing about a silnylon tarp, a couple of shakes and it's dry!:)

icemanat95
04-03-2006, 11:25
Lash the poles to the outside of your pack, under the compression straps there and pack the tent in the pack. The poles really limit what you can do with the test fly and body, take them out of the equation and everything changes.

A 0 degree bag, unless it is a down bag, is going to be chunky. Put it in a compression sack and it'll be OK.

fivefour
04-03-2006, 11:54
i just stuff my tent into the bottom of my pack (above the sleeping bag compartment), then the ground cloth (to protect the tent from anything stuffed in afterwards), then my sleeping pad and then all else on top. i just shove everything down and that compresses my tent plenty. with nothing pressed/shoved on top of my tent it does take up my entire pack. but with all else on top, it compresses into the bottom and i have plenty of room. i also gently pick up and drop my pack as i am packing which forces things down. that helps as well.

Fiddler
04-03-2006, 13:07
The only stupid or dumb questions are those you don't ask.

That said, as long as my tent is dry on the inside I stuff it, with the sleeping bag still in it. The bag compartment in my pack can be opened on the inside (so I then have a larger pack with no bag compartment) as well as with the outside zipper so no space is lost. Lash the poles to the outside of the pack. This saves time both setting up camp and breaking camp. When I pitch the tent the bag is already in it ready put the pad under and crawl in. When the tent is damp inside from condensation I stuff them separately.