PDA

View Full Version : Rescue of injured hiker on Appalachian Trail in Kent

tiptoe
08-25-2022, 07:21
https://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Rescue-of-injured-hiker-on-Appalachian-Trail-in-17395900.php

Not many details here, maybe more info will be forthcoming on other sites.

cmoulder
08-25-2022, 08:58
Not the toughest area for a carry on the AT but definitely not easy.

gpburdelljr
08-25-2022, 10:08
Apparently the hiker was female, and suffered a broken ankle.

https://wlad.com/local-headlines/644063

tiptoe
08-25-2022, 12:39
Ugh, I can sympathize (from personal experience). Wishing her an uneventful recovery and a return to the trail after that.

Gambit McCrae
08-25-2022, 18:06
Hope all is safe, North of Salisbury is some tough hiking as the nobo perspective goes....

Astro
08-25-2022, 20:26
Hope all is safe, North of Salisbury is some tough hiking as the nobo perspective goes....

Maybe, but after doing NH and ME, I don't remember anything in the prior 12 states being that tough. Just a matter of perspective I guess.

Sarcasm the elf
08-25-2022, 22:13
Maybe, but after doing NH and ME, I don't remember anything in the prior 12 states being that tough. Just a matter of perspective I guess.
That section isn't very tough as far as being strenuous by A.T. standards, but sections around Kent intermittently have "one wrong step can end your hike" Pennsylvania style rock fields that catch a lot of people off guard.

That said, there was also a major reroute in that area that was completed a year or two ago and I haven't had a chance to hike that new section yet, so for all I know there could be new challenges in that area.

LittleRock
08-26-2022, 08:15
That said, there was also a major reroute in that area that was completed a year or two ago and I haven't had a chance to hike that new section yet, so for all I know there could be new challenges in that area.
I hiked the reroute last fall shortly after it was completed and didn't find it to be that challenging at all. The first few miles north of Kent (e.g. St. John's ledges) were more difficult, IMO.

cmoulder
08-26-2022, 09:03
I hiked the reroute last fall shortly after it was completed and didn't find it to be that challenging at all. The first few miles north of Kent (e.g. St. John's ledges) were more difficult, IMO.

Carrying a litter with a person on it makes it a little different situation, which is perhaps why it took more than 7 hours.