PDA

View Full Version : Good Eats in Damascus, VA

2009ThruHiker
04-03-2006, 08:04
I'm looking for suggestions on the best place to eat in Damascus...THANKS for the input!

Jaybird
04-03-2006, 08:23
email LONE WOLF...he's a DAMASCUS resident & knows all the great eateries there...

section-hikin' Pearisburg to Glasgow,VA APR 22-MAY 3 w/ "Jigsaw":D

Lone Wolf
04-03-2006, 08:31
DOT'S for the best burgers and fries.
BAJA CAFE for burritos and Mexican beers.
DAMASCUS EATS for breakfast.

minnesotasmith
04-03-2006, 13:52

Is which ones are AYCE, and at which times if not always AYCE. Forget the by-the-bite places; they're a dime a dozen, and never as good a deal.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2006, 13:54
There are no AYCE in Damascus. It looks like you could miss a few meals anyway there Hoss.

minnesotasmith
04-03-2006, 13:58
There are no AYCE in Damascus. It looks like you could miss a few meals anyway there Hoss.

Figures. Oh, and I'm losing the weight; down 23# from Amicalola by two medical place's scales (pre-hike and here in Hot Springs). At that rate (per mile), I'll be over 160# lighter by Baxter, which will put me into double digits of pounds (lower body weight than I'd prefer, natch).

Say, LW, you drop the beard yet, so that you can claim UL hiker status? ;)

Lone Wolf
04-03-2006, 14:00
Nope. The beard is still big and gnarly.

gonzo
04-03-2006, 14:37

Ate at Baja Cafe a few weeks ago which was a new place to me since it's been a couple years since I visited Damascus. Had Newcastle on tap! Nice treat when I got back in town after a week in the woods. Good food, nice owners, definitely recommend it as a place to stop in for a bite.

gr8fulyankee
04-03-2006, 15:14
LW what is the population of Damascus ?
I seem to only remember about 10 diner-resturants in the town. Maybe a Starbucks would be a nice addition. :-)

Lone Wolf
04-03-2006, 15:30
900 - 1000. Starbucks wouldn't fly in this town. Too yuppie. These folks ain't gonna pay $2.00 + for fru fru coffee.

D'Artagnan
04-03-2006, 15:37
I had a bacon cheeseburger and fries at the Dairy King this past Saturday night. Real nice folks and the food was right. I had been hoping for a peanut butter milkshake but it was about 8:30 and they were already cleaning their machine. Oh well, there's always next time.

BTW, Saturday morning I was being shuttled by MRO and we stopped at Cowboy's to fuel up. I got to meet LW's girlfriend. She was slightly bummed to be working while he was on the trail in NC. Ahh, the good life! :p

Disney
04-03-2006, 15:43
$2.00? Sorry LW, but you can't get a cup of coffee for $2.00 at Starbucks. It's gonna run you $3-5. Ridiculous isn't it.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2006, 15:46
Real men don't drink Starbucks coffee.

gr8fulyankee
04-03-2006, 16:02
whats they best place in town to get a cup of coffee that doesn't taste like it came from a 7/11 or McDonalds'. I am a bit of a coffee snob and can't stand weak bitter acidic coffee. ( Oh yeah I only drink decaf )

Lone Wolf
04-03-2006, 16:05
The Damascus Coffee & Gift Shop located next to Sundog Outfitters and Subway. They have good coffee.

KirkMcquest
04-03-2006, 16:09

So true. A real man would never drink a caramel machiato!:p

neo
04-03-2006, 17:10
Nope. The beard is still big and gnarly.

:D hillary says she just loves lonewolf's beard,thats why he is keeping it,anything for hillary,right lonewolf:cool: neo

max patch
04-03-2006, 19:05
Coffee snobs don't drink decaf.

gr8fulyankee
04-03-2006, 20:06
Oh, Ok thank you for correcting on that...

Teatime
04-11-2006, 08:29
My son and I ate at the Dairy King. He had chicken tenders and I had a ...gulp...cheeseburger. A few hours later I was spewing chunks and kneeling before the porcelin god all night long. I'm sure it was the burger being undercooked, trust me. Since there was so much snow on the trail and I felt like I got run over by a truck, we called it quits and went home. BTW, The Place isn't the greatest place to be sick in.
I had a bacon cheeseburger and fries at the Dairy King this past Saturday night. Real nice folks and the food was right. I had been hoping for a peanut butter milkshake but it was about 8:30 and they were already cleaning their machine. Oh well, there's always next time.

BTW, Saturday morning I was being shuttled by MRO and we stopped at Cowboy's to fuel up. I got to meet LW's girlfriend. She was slightly bummed to be working while he was on the trail in NC. Ahh, the good life! :p

D'Artagnan
04-11-2006, 09:22
I was spewing chunks and kneeling before the porcelin god all night long. I'm sure it was the burger being undercooked, trust me.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I'm glad my experience wasn't the same. They still have killer milkshakes though. ;)

bogey
04-11-2006, 22:18
Real men don't drink Starbucks coffee. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(is that 10 yet?)

TACKLE
04-11-2006, 22:48

Don't forget the milkshakes at Dairy King!!!!!

docllamacoy
05-05-2006, 20:28
Do "1/3" and "Trace" from '03 own that new Baja place? Last I heard they were planning to open a burrito place there.

casteel
08-24-2006, 10:21
Do "1/3" and "Trace" from '03 own that new Baja place? Last I heard they were planning to open a burrito place there.

Yes, I believe one of them does, although I'm not sure which. I think it's the guy from the trek movie? Or maybe both of them are? I don't know. However, whenever I work in Damascus I always have breakfast at Cowboy's and lunch at the Dairy King. Both are nice grease spoons, and cowboy's has some damn fine biscuits.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-24-2006, 22:27
Try Dots the sub shop or the pizza place right down from the outfitters, there is also a great place for breakfast at the service staion ask Tom , Damascus Dave or Jeff at MT Rogers outfitters they can recommend some other places
Hillbilly

slowhike
08-24-2006, 22:55
one thing i can tell you is, beware of the food vendor that sells alligator,chicken, & beef w/ veggies at trail days!
i was at trail days this year (06) & had the chicken w/ veggie plate for supper. soon after something didn`t feel quite right.
i hung my hammock on a hill side just out side of town that night. about 2:00am i woke up & spewed. then it was comming out both ends off & on through the next morning.
i would have gone to the booth to confrount the people, but i was a mess & feeling pretty beat down. ...tim

TwoForty
02-26-2007, 18:38
Amen.

I really like the Italian place. I usually drop a whole lot of money there when I go through Damascus.

waterboy99
02-26-2007, 20:17
Trace and 1/3 do not own Baja. It is owned by Jarred (Sheriff) and Becky.
Trace is a school teacher for the Washington Co. schools and 1/3 is an Environmental Educator for the Dept of Environmental Quality out of Abingdon. They do live here in Damascus and continue to hike a great deal.

This is 1/3 dad.