PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned bear cub near Blue Mtn Shelter

MoodyBluer
04-03-2006, 11:56
Anyone know what happened to the cub several folks have reported being abandoned near Blue Mtn Shelter near Unicoi Gap? Someone on trailjournals said he had started to beg for food and that hopefully the Ga Wildlife folks would soon come and get the cub and take it to a shelter or zoo. This would have been in the last 2 weeks or so.

Mother Nature
04-03-2006, 13:23
I don't know if the authorities have captured it but I can confirm they know about it. I was doing a trail feed in Unicoi Gap and the local sheriff stopped to tell us about it.

Mother Nature

LuTotten
04-05-2006, 20:43
Do not report it to the DNR, if anyone else finds it take it to the rehab center in Ellijay Georgia. If anyone knows its whereabouts (or if its still even out there) pm me and I will personally come get it and deliver it to them. The Ga DNR does not want cubs to be rehabed and will euthanize (sp?) it.

Skidsteer
04-05-2006, 20:47
Do not report it to the DNR, if anyone else finds it take it to the rehab center in Ellijay Georgia. If anyone knows its whereabouts (or if its still even out there) pm me and I will personally come get it and deliver it to them. The Ga DNR does not want cubs to be rehabed and will euthanize (sp?) it.

Is that a fact? Care to elaborate?

saimyoji
04-05-2006, 20:50
NOO. If you encounter the cub: kick it hard in the head to stun it, jam it into a stuff sack and gimme a call. Nothin like bear cub jerky. :D

*** LuTotten? :confused:

LuTotten
04-05-2006, 21:03
I used to volunteer at the center in Ellijay, that is where I learned what the DNR does with them. If someone can get it to the center the DNR doesnt like it but they will ussually let them rehab it. The cub wont be released back into the wild it will go to a sanctuary. Georgia does not allow bears to be released due to our current "bear problem" therefore they euthanize.

Saimyoji, I see you are among the many who misunderstand animals and see killing them as a better option than trying to peacfully coexist with them.

Skidsteer
04-05-2006, 21:14
I used to volunteer at the center in Ellijay, that is where I learned what the DNR does with them. If someone can get it to the center the DNR doesnt like it but they will ussually let them rehab it. The cub wont be released back into the wild it will go to a sanctuary. Georgia does not allow bears to be released due to our current "bear problem" therefore they euthanize.

Saimyoji, I see you are among the many who misunderstand animals and see killing them as a better option than trying to peacfully coexist with them.

http://weeklywire.com/ww/09-20-99/nash_cl-lede.html

Is this the "center" you are referring to?

bearbait2k4
04-05-2006, 21:21
When a wild animal abandons their offspring, isn't there normally a reason for it? Sickness or deficiency that could make any other offspring vulerable to attack, if the mother always has to be looking over the sick one? If it weren't for idiots likely feeding the cub (being as how it is so close to a shelter), nature probably would have already taken its course - which is usually the best thing that can happen.

I guess the mom could have been killed but, typically, there are reasons for abandoned babies out in the wild, and, more often than not, sheltering and rehabilitating it may not be the best answer. It's best just to let nature take over.

Of course, this may not be a choice, at this point. If people have created a nuisance out of this cub, then capture and euthanization may be the best answer.

LuTotten
04-05-2006, 21:26
Yes, that is the same place, and I know parts of that article are not true, I am sure some of it is but they have since been fixing things there. First thing that gave away the false parts is they are not permitted to cross state lines with them. I volunteered there in 2004, they had a few acres set up as a bear habitat, and were working on another larger tract of land since they had so many bears. Deacon was not there in 2004, not sure what happened to him. I would raise the cub myself but I am not yet lisenced and I do not have the facilities yet (the reason I am not lisenced yet)

Skidsteer
04-05-2006, 21:33
Yes, that is the same place, and I know parts of that article are not true, I am sure some of it is but they have since been fixing things there. First thing that gave away the false parts is they are not permitted to cross state lines with them. I volunteered there in 2004, they had a few acres set up as a bear habitat, and were working on another larger tract of land since they had so many bears. Deacon was not there in 2004, not sure what happened to him. I would raise the cub myself but I am not yet lisenced and I do not have the facilities yet (the reason I am not lisenced yet)

Have you been to the " Bear exhibit " in Helen, GA?

LuTotten
04-05-2006, 21:37
no I have not the center and the tourist trap in Helen are not associated.

LuTotten
04-05-2006, 22:02
When a wild animal abandons their offspring, isn't there normally a reason for it? Sickness or deficiency that could make any other offspring vulerable to attack, if the mother always has to be looking over the sick one? If it weren't for idiots likely feeding the cub (being as how it is so close to a shelter), nature probably would have already taken its course - which is usually the best thing that can happen.

I guess the mom could have been killed but, typically, there are reasons for abandoned babies out in the wild, and, more often than not, sheltering and rehabilitating it may not be the best answer. It's best just to let nature take over.

Of course, this may not be a choice, at this point. If people have created a nuisance out of this cub, then capture and euthanization may be the best answer.

Could be any number of things, the mother could have been shot out of season, died of other causes. She may have been unable to provide for it, or it simply could be 18 mo. old or close to it in which case it probably got chased away by a male that wanted to mate with the mother, and the cub is able to fend for itself. If it is illness, then nature has probably already taken its course.

tsali
04-05-2006, 23:32
Have you been to the " Bear exhibit " in Helen, GA?

I have been, my neighbor is the owner, Most of those bears are very gentle. But that does not mean that i agree with it, but how many people get to see a bear there, that other wise would never get to see one.

generoll
04-06-2006, 08:20
I worked at a summer camp when I was in my teens in Florida which had some how come into possesion of a bear cub. Cute little rolly polly thing. Fun to play with and totally unafraid of humans. Little bastard was strong as an ox and didn't understand the rules of human play. Had claws and teeth that just plain hurt! As he grew his play became dangerous and they had to pull some teeth and declaw him. Then finally cage him. Since bear tend to roam in search of food and mates, I'm not sure how you confine a bear to a "bear sanctuary". Or how you locate it in such a way that no unsuspecting (or unarmed) humans come in contact with him. Sometimes euthanasia really is the most humane solution, cruel as it sounds. Kinda like euthanizing that mouse that tries to get into your food bag.

weary
04-06-2006, 10:19
....The Ga DNR does not want cubs to be rehabed and will euthanize (sp?) it.
When I can't spell a word I use a substitute. Often that results in an even better and more accurate word. For instance, try "kill" as a substitute.

Turtle2
04-06-2006, 12:14
This is odd. 2 years ago walking down into Unicoi Gap a bear cub ran thru the ferns and up a tree. After looking around for a couple of minutes for MOM I took off my pack to get my camera and to wait for my sister to catch up and have a look see. We had to have been there 10 minutes or more with no signs of MOM at all. Is it possible that there is a female who just doesn't have maternal instincts in that area?

hauptman
04-06-2006, 12:51
This is odd. 2 years ago walking down into Unicoi Gap a bear cub ran thru the ferns and up a tree. After looking around for a couple of minutes for MOM I took off my pack to get my camera and to wait for my sister to catch up and have a look see. We had to have been there 10 minutes or more with no signs of MOM at all. Is it possible that there is a female who just doesn't have maternal instincts in that area?

It is a conspiracy!!!:eek:
It is actually the same bear cub from your trip 2 years ago!!! Because it is not really a bear cub, but the evil hiker eating dwarf bear!!!! It comes around every couple of years for a bite and lures its victims in by acting all cute and cuddly!!! Luckily, it mistook a blue blazer this year for a thru-hiker and got terrible indigestion!!! It has since given up on hikers(or so I have heard) and eats snoring/shelter loving section hikers instead!!! The good news is that if you are a section hiker you need not bother bear bagging, it is not your ramen noodles he is after!!!

So what do ya think? Do I tell a fine old tale or do I need ginko to increase the blood flow to my brain? - P.s., I know all this because I was the bears first victim!!! I was eaten and died, but I got better!!!:D

lbbrown
04-06-2006, 12:58
People who abandon bear cubs in the wild should be smeared with peanut butter and tied to a tree! If you can't care for your pets- then don't buy them! Dropping them off somewhere is totally irresponsible! And it's not good for the hikers either! What do you think, neo?

lbbrown
04-06-2006, 16:53
People who abandon bear cubs in the wild should be smeared with peanut butter and tied to a tree! If you can't care for your pets- then don't buy them! Dropping them off somewhere is totally irresponsible! And it's not good for the hikers either! What do you think, neo?

No comments?
C'mon people----where's your sense of humor??????? It's a joke!

saimyoji
04-06-2006, 17:43

Not at all. I coexist in peaceful harmony with the many animals I encounter in my life. I can honestly say I've never killed an animal without reason. I even use humane traps on the mice in my house. What I also posess is a sense of humor. Did you read my suggested method for killing the cub? Did you really think I was serious? Did you notice the big green ***** eating grin after my post? That means what I just wrote was in jest.

Now for some reality. There are animals we need to kill. If we kill them I believe they should not go to waste. Therefore, if the bear must be killed, I think it should be turned into jerky.

I applaud your efforts at assisting the poor cute cuddly bear cub. Keep up the good work!

Skidsteer
04-06-2006, 17:58

It's possible. Not all wild animals (or domestics, for that matter) make good mothers. Sorta like Homo Sapiens.

LuTotten
04-06-2006, 19:17
Not at all. I coexist in peaceful harmony with the many animals I encounter in my life. I can honestly say I've never killed an animal without reason. I even use humane traps on the mice in my house. What I also posess is a sense of humor. Did you read my suggested method for killing the cub? Did you really think I was serious? Did you notice the big green ***** eating grin after my post? That means what I just wrote was in jest.

Now for some reality. There are animals we need to kill. If we kill them I believe they should not go to waste. Therefore, if the bear must be killed, I think it should be turned into jerky.

I applaud your efforts at assisting the poor cute cuddly bear cub. Keep up the good work!

I am sorry if I misunderstood your humor(the *** didn't help) Now for some more reality, there are people out there that do horrible things to animals. The center in Ellijay has a bear they recieved as a cub whos mother was shot out of season, and they pulled all her claws out with pliers and left her to die.(all of which they video taped) Needless to say they were arrested for poaching and cruelty to animals but my point is though it may have seemed funny and completely unreal to you there are people out there who would do it.

Skidsteer
04-06-2006, 20:07
The center in Ellijay has a bear they recieved as a cub whos mother was shot out of season, and they pulled all her claws out with pliers and left her to die.(all of which they video taped) Needless to say they were arrested for poaching and cruelty to animals

....And the jackasses likely didn't get half the punishment they should have.

Now for some more reality, there are people out there that do horrible things to animals.

And some contend that caging a wild animal can be a horrible thing and, despite good intentions ,may literally result in a fate worse than death for the animal(s) in question.

It is easy to find consensus on some aspects of this debate. Others are a matter of perspective.:)

LuTotten
04-07-2006, 23:39

And some contend that caging a wild animal can be a horrible thing and, despite good intentions ,may literally result in a fate worse than death for the animal(s) in question.

It is easy to find consensus on some aspects of this debate. Others are a matter of perspective.:)

You are very right on that skidsteer, after some hard thought I came with another slightly less legal option, of taking it into NC and lying about its whereabouts so it could one day be released.

As far as the fate of the little cub, I took a hike up to the shelter today and found out through word of mouth the DNR already got ahold of it to euthanize or take somewhere. I put my money on the first option.

saimyoji
04-09-2006, 23:39
I am sorry if I misunderstood your humor(the *** didn't help) Now for some more reality, there are people out there that do horrible things to animals. The center in Ellijay has a bear they recieved as a cub whos mother was shot out of season, and they pulled all her claws out with pliers and left her to die.(all of which they video taped) Needless to say they were arrested for poaching and cruelty to animals but my point is though it may have seemed funny and completely unreal to you there are people out there who would do it.

I agree with you, and am well aware of the horrible things people do to animals. I lived in Bangkok for some time and had the opportunity to witness some pretty horrible things people do in the illegal animal trade. At the weekend market there you can arrange to purchase nearly anything.

Farmer
04-17-2006, 08:33
I applaud your efforts to help protect the wild.

spring
04-17-2006, 22:22
We got these pics on March 26th...

http://image50.webshots.com/50/7/89/0/2786789000035531463CPHvco_ph.jpg

http://image59.webshots.com/159/0/69/2/2135069020035531463YeMXje_ph.jpg

http://image56.webshots.com/156/0/88/49/2332088490035531463EuyTUJ_ph.jpg

spring
04-17-2006, 22:28
Try these links to see the cub on March 26th:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/AT_Hike_March_23-25_2006.jpg

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/AT_Hike_March_23-25_2006_013.jpg

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/AT_Hike_March_23-25_2006_014.jpg

Skidsteer
04-17-2006, 22:30
We got these pics on March 26th...

http://image50.webshots.com/50/7/89/0/2786789000035531463CPHvco_ph.jpg

http://image59.webshots.com/159/0/69/2/2135069020035531463YeMXje_ph.jpg

http://image56.webshots.com/156/0/88/49/2332088490035531463EuyTUJ_ph.jpg

It appears I'm not authorized to view these photos. Am I doing something wrong?

Skidsteer
04-17-2006, 22:52
OK! Now I can see them, thanks!

LuTotten
04-19-2006, 10:17
Ok, I contancted the DNR and I thought I would post their reply for everyone to read.

"DNR personnel captured and euthanized the bear "cub" during the first week of April. Notice I say cub in quotation marks since it was our determination that this bear was actually a yearling bear that was significantly under-weight. This bear's small size combined with the fact that no one saw a mother bear with it indicates that this animal was likely orphaned fairly early. As with most all such 'nuisance' bears, we tried to give the animal time to leave on its own. This is a good test of how habituated the bear is, if it stays in one spot begging for handouts for long periods then we can be confident that the animal is comfortable doing so, otherwise they'll move on after a couple of days. On several days this bear was contacting up to three different groups (seperate incidents) and did not move on.

Regarding our policy on orphaned bears, Georgia does not allow rehabilitation of bears due to their tendancy to become habituated. We do trap/relocate bears which is not considered rehab. If a bear cannot be relocated due to behavior or injury, then they are placed into permanent facilities (like zoos) or are euthanized.

I hope this answers your questions."

Scott Frazier
Wildlife Resources Div. - Region II
(770) 535-5700
[email protected]

crutch
04-19-2006, 13:46
It's a shame that the cub had to be put down. Let this be a lesson to all of the people that chose to feed the starving little cub.
I understand that it is difficult when you come across a starving animal to not offer it food, but in the end it was the very thing that cost the cub it's life. Nature will take care of itself.....no matter how cruel that may sound, it's true. Please don't be a factor in the death of another one. Thanks.

Skidsteer
04-19-2006, 22:47
Ok, I contancted the DNR and I thought I would post their reply for everyone to read.

Thanks for the follow-up and update, Lu.