PDA

View Full Version : Gear that surprised you...

hikerjohnd
04-03-2006, 17:35
I used to be a dedicated external frame guy. I switched to an internal because of weight (and all the peer pressure here on WB!!! :eek: ) And I was inspired by Lone Wolf's thread about 'gear you will never use'

So - What piece of gear did you go into with reservations and discover was really the way to go?

For me, aside from the internal frame pack, it was the addition of a sil-nylon water bag. I really thought it would be a pos. I had visions of plastic waterbags that have blown out and been carried as trash for miles on end, but now, I wouldn't leave home without it. Best $10 I've spent!

erichlf
04-03-2006, 17:58
Well, this may seem strange to most, but I had my reservations about sleeping pads. I had never used one. (My closest experience to having a sleeping pad was sleeping on my back pack.) Not even during January camping in NH. I decided after reading many things about sleeping pads that I would try one. They don't really seem that much more comfortable (not that I care about comfort, I was homeless and slept on cement for a while), but they do keep you warmer.

Just Jeff
04-03-2006, 18:46
Quilts. I read so much about them, but I grew up on normal bags so it still seemed like a fringe thing to me. I guess I'm just part of the fringe now. Fringe benefits and all.

Footslogger
04-03-2006, 18:56
A thermos bottle ...

It keeps cold things cold and hot things hot.

...but how does it know the difference ??

'Slogger

max patch
04-03-2006, 19:02
For me, aside from the internal frame pack, it was the addition of a sil-nylon water bag. I really thought it would be a pos. I had visions of plastic waterbags that have blown out and been carried as trash for miles on end, but now, I wouldn't leave home without it. Best $10 I've spent!

Funny how we are all different.

I thought a water bag would be an extremely useful piece of equipment. I mailed it home from Damascus. I think I used it twice. Its still in my basement. Untouched for 18 years.

SteveJ
04-03-2006, 19:21
I'll second the quilts mention. Was almost surprised when I stayed warm under my sleeping bag, used as a quilt. Converted to a homemade down quilt and haven't looked back...still use a sleeping bag when on the ground...

Also....have to get the ubiquitous hammock plug in....was converting from heavyweight to light(er)weight, and saw all these rave reviews on hammocks. Was frankly skeptical - but after trying one the first night, knew I'd never again sleep on the ground unless absolutely forced to!

It's all better than sitting behind a desk!

Steve

Skidsteer
04-03-2006, 19:49
A pee bottle for really cold weather. Low tech, cheap, light, and wicked convenient.:D

jasonklass
04-03-2006, 20:27
Great Question. For me the big one is trekking poles. I always thought they were stupid until I tried them. Now, I use them every trip and my knees feel a lot better. Another big one was alcohol stoves. That's pretty much all I use for 3 season (sometimes even winter). I remember a time when I just absolutely did not trust them.

Seeker
04-03-2006, 21:35
the whole 'lightweight' thing... pack, alkie stove, and bringing less... but it works.

also, hammocks... i'd slept in a net hammock i used to string up inside my command post vehicle in the army, but froze my a$$ off when i tried it camping, so i ditched it... years later, here and on another site, i got talked back into trying it again... and love it.

littlelaurel59
04-03-2006, 22:16
Homemade alcohol stove.

I doubted at first, but made one on a whim. But it's the only way to cook- ultralight, cheap, simple. Oh, I'll take a "real" stove if I have a group to cook for, or if I wish to use my Outback Oven for a pan of brownies, but for 1 or 2, the alky stove is for me.

Bblue
04-03-2006, 23:17
External Frame Packs

I thought they were history, until I tried the LuxuryLite. Spendy, but like carying 5 lbs less than your real weight. No need for pack cover because it's waterproof, easy access to gear, includes trail chair.

Disney
04-04-2006, 01:02
I've got to go with hiking poles (mine are old ski poles), an alcohol stove (SGT Rock's), and the water purifier.

sierraDoug
04-04-2006, 01:47
I used to be a dedicated external frame guy. I switched to an internal because of weight (and all the peer pressure here on WB!!! :eek: ) And I was inspired by Lone Wolf's thread about 'gear you will never use'

I'm about to buy my first internal frame pack. Still using my trusty 28 year old external frame Trailwise (inspired by Colin Fletcher). Whoops, my age is showing!

Aren't internal frame packs hot on your back? Do you find it a big deal, or worth the hot, or what?

(Still can't imagine using trekking poles. :) )

Mr. Clean
04-04-2006, 03:47
For me, hiking poles set off that light over my head, and I can now hike many mikes before my knees start to ache. I hated to do it, but can't go back now.
My Hennessey was another great buy, as was an internal pack when I replaced my old external frame. I agree, the whole lightweight thing made me cringe, and though I don't know if I'll ever go completely to that side, there sure are some benefits.

greentick
04-04-2006, 03:57
LED lights, both headlamp and backup pinch lights.

Hana_Hanger
04-04-2006, 05:41
For me it was to trust a 10 ounce hammock that could hold up to 250 lbs
all this NEW light weight materials out there.

Also to finally convert over to digital...I love my Teeny Tiny Digital camera now and would not think to hike without it.

The Biggie was the first time I saw an alcohol stove...ROTFL but I bought one...and now I make them also :) Thanks to all the things I have learned here from everyone posting on WB

hikerjohnd
04-04-2006, 10:57
I'm about to buy my first internal frame pack. Still using my trusty 28 year old external frame Trailwise (inspired by Colin Fletcher). Whoops, my age is showing!

Aren't internal frame packs hot on your back? Do you find it a big deal, or worth the hot, or what?

(Still can't imagine using trekking poles. :) )

Old internal frame packs (the kind I tried and could not wear) were incredibly hot. My GG Ozone does keep me warm, but it really isn't that much different than my old JanSport External Frame. It is defiintely easier to put on and take off at rest breaks. I think the designs have come a long way to addressing the body heat issue.

neo
04-04-2006, 11:06
the bakepacker.an awesome piece of gear:cool: neo
http://www.bakepacker.com/

vipahman
04-04-2006, 11:39
1. Hiking poles
2. Hiking poles
3. Headlamp because my hands are full with hiking poles.
4. Frameless backpack

cbert
04-04-2006, 12:08
All 3 work much better than I ever expected. My Thompson Peak Pack is the most comfortable pack I've ever used. Hiking Poles make the ups and especially the downs a lot easier & stream crossings so much nicer, plus have so many uses around camp. Tarps - simple, light, flexible.

The Cheat
04-04-2006, 13:36
A thermos bottle ...

It keeps cold things cold and hot things hot.

...but how does it know the difference ??

'Slogger

Sorry for the diversion, but old joke:
Man walks in the store and sees a thermos. Asks storekeeper what it is.
Storekeeper says, "A thermos, keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."
Man buys it and on his next camping trip his friend asks what it is.
Man says "A thermos, keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."
Friend: "Cool, what do you have in it?"
Man: "2 cups of coffee and a popsicle."

Doctari
04-04-2006, 15:14
A pee bottle, altho I use a zip lock.

Alcohol stove du homemade.

Heineken cook pot.

I would love to try a quilt, still have many reservations. Hammock sounds fun. & a sub 1LB backpack made of syl nylon sounds absolutely wonderfuly light yet fragle.

Doctari.

Footslogger
04-04-2006, 15:32
Sorry for the diversion, but old joke:
Man walks in the store and sees a thermos. Asks storekeeper what it is.
Storekeeper says, "A thermos, keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."
Man buys it and on his next camping trip his friend asks what it is.
Man says "A thermos, keeps hot things hot and cold things cold."
Friend: "Cool, what do you have in it?"
Man: "2 cups of coffee and a popsicle."
=============================
Good one ...and just for the record, I wasn't being serious about that being a piece of gear that suprised me. I had heard that story of the thermos as a joke years ago and it came to me when I was reading over this thread.

'Slogger

Alligator
04-04-2006, 17:12
Trekking poles and my tarp.

Skidsteer
04-04-2006, 18:23
A pee bottle, altho I use a zip lock. Doctari.

Hardcore, Dude, very hardcore.:D

SGTdirtman
04-05-2006, 00:01
my tent... For a few years I carried nothing but a mesquitto net and a poncho. :cool:

Tinker
04-05-2006, 00:05
Two items spring to mind:

The Hennessy Hammock - I couldn't believe how well I slept in it (or how poor the sleep I thought I was getting on the ground was before my hammock experience).

Hilleberg Akto tent - When it's cold out, and I'm hiking solo, I usually use the Akto. I've had it two years, and I still can't believe how small it looks from the outside, and how big it feels once I'm inside of it (I'm just under 6', and weigh 216 lbs.). The contrast is almost unbelievable.

Mountain Mike
04-05-2006, 00:30
Too much to mention: led headlamps run for 40 hours, shock-asorbing hiking poles, some you can self arrest with. Ain't tecnologhy great!

gsingjane
04-05-2006, 09:44
I'm pretty old-school and resisted trekking poles for quite a while, but wow what a difference they've made to these pounded-out knees. I've been running on the roads and torturing my knees on a near-daily basis since 1972, and was about ready to quit on the whole bp thing because of the pain involved, but the poles have given me a whole new lease on hiking.

Jane in CT

fivefour
04-05-2006, 10:00
i think i will better be able to post on this topic after my next hike. this will be the first under 50 pound pack and with the hennessy.

*crosses fingers*

Doctari
04-05-2006, 12:48
Hardcore, Dude, very hardcore.:D

:D That's cause I am a "Real man" VBG.

My reasoning: I don't re-use my zip locks, AND I never ever drink out of a zip lock, sooooo am unlikely to mistakenly drink from my pee bottle.

Pre use: I mark it with a small piece of duct tape. After use: zip it closed, lean it against the outside of my tent. In AM, I walk well away from camp & dump. It then goes in the trash bag. The tape on it is for if I get to camp before a trash can, then I re use as pee bag. My rule is I only reuse it once.

Doctari.

sierraDoug
04-05-2006, 13:22
Old internal frame packs (the kind I tried and could not wear) were incredibly hot. My GG Ozone does keep me warm, but it really isn't that much different than my old JanSport External Frame. It is defiintely easier to put on and take off at rest breaks. I think the designs have come a long way to addressing the body heat issue.
Thanks for the info. I was going to buy an internal frame soon anyway, but this answers one of my last concerns about it.

Back on topic... love the light weight quiet of my alcohol stove.

Vi+
04-05-2006, 15:32
A different manner of “Gear that surprised you...”

Long ago, I tried fleece; keeps its warmth when wet, yada, yada, yada. I became dissatisfied. It quickly went from not warm enough to too warm. I’ve gone back.

Wool Sweater: A wool sweater is “naturally” warmer than fleece, and breathes much better. Warmth can be fine-tuned using any wind breaker.

Wool Shirt: A tightly-woven wool button-up-the-front shirt is inherently warm, blocks mild-to-moderate wind, and yet breathes well.

Scarves convert anything into a turtleneck to retard the escape of body heat up along the neck. They can be tied to a pack strap or stored in any pocket when not in use.

Wool Scarf: A ladies head scarf made of wool provides surprising warmth for its weight and bulk.

Silk Scarf: Silk scarves are wind breakers.

erichlf
04-05-2006, 18:16
Hmmm, scarf. Now I have to come up with a second (prefer three) reason to have a scarf and I may include one.

Doctari
04-05-2006, 19:06
Hmmm, scarf. Now I have to come up with a second (prefer three) reason to have a scarf and I may include one.

Pot holder, pillow stuffing, If (as mine is) it is a tube instead of flat; a hat/scarf combination, bandana, seat cushon, towel, etc. So, much like a bandana, but bigger. :D

Doctari.

erichlf
04-05-2006, 20:10
Well, wool doesn't like water, so I was thinking that it wouldn't work much like a bandana, and is why I was looking for more uses. Pot holder I will definately give you, but that can be done by a bandana.

Forestescapes
04-07-2006, 08:18
Ok..I admit it.Hiking poles are great! (Did I say "Poles", sorry, I can still only bring myself to use one. But i do find it great in creek crossings. I like having one hand free)
As far as Internal/External frames...I am a tour guide and have tonnes of different packs to choose from, but none of the internal styles even come close to the comfort I get from a 1962 Hallmark Wood & Canvas External frame pack! ( I can hear the lightwieght junkies cringe right now..) It's as simple as that! I put it on , and I hike!! With the newer packs I find myself constantly adjusting (admittedly slight adjustments) straps and gadgets over a multi-day walk to feel totally comfortable with them. (Too many options I guess?)
I also agree with the alcohol stove crew. (homemade are even better)
And LED headtorches!!!! (Can you possibly hike without them??) I am afraid that the 3-5 hrs you get out of fresh batteries from standard torches is just not good enough my friend.
dc

Cookerhiker
04-07-2006, 09:02
Like many other old-timers in this post, I backpacked over 25 years with an external frame pack sans poles. I always recognized the benefits of poles on descents but I thought they'd be a drag going uphill when I wanted my arms free. Now I can't imagine hiking without them.

I finally switched to an internal frame pack (Kelty Red Cloud) in '04 and had problems with it slipping all the time yet I still hiked nearly 1,000 miles with it. Halfway through Maine last year, the stitching in the center outside pocket gave way so I sent the pack back for repair. Kelty sent me a brand new pack and it fits like a glove! Hiking has been a real pleasure since then.

What hasn't been mentioned yet in this post is outer garments. I'm reluctant to spend big bucks on parkas, rain shells, etc. In October '03 while in Ireland, I bought a rain shell for $50 Euros (about $58 at the time). It has a rolled-up hood and is perfect in every way except for not having inside pockets. It has been wonderful! While nothing is truly waterproof and breathable, it has consistently retained its waterproof quality. I figure the Irish know a thing or two about rain! The brand name is Target Dry. Their website is http://www.targetdry.co.uk/

Jaybird
04-07-2006, 09:16
.................................................. ............................I was inspired by Lone Wolf's thread about 'gear you will never use'
So - What piece of gear did you go into with reservations and discover was really the way to go?............................................... ............

i hiked my first year (of section-hikin') with only 1 hiking pole...& had knee probs.... the 2nd year..i tried with 2 hiking poles...(after a strong suggestion from "Model T (http://www.modelt.net)") & it works GREAT!

my other "good investment" was a THERMAREST LITE-Z sleeping pad (12oz)

section-hikin' (& using the above again this year) PEARISBURG-GLASGOW, VA
APR 22-MAY 3 w/ "Jigsaw":D

MedicineMan
05-04-2006, 03:38
the brasslite revolutionized stoving for me
the hammock revolutionized sleeping for me
the quilts revolutionized staying warm in the hammock
but is was Luxurylite that brought back the external frame pack where it all goes.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-04-2006, 07:43
Two pieces of gear have really surprised me -
REI UL-45 backpack. I switched for lighter weight and less capacity (2950 ci / 7493 ccm) so I could not overload myself (my doc says I can carry no more than 20 lbs / 9.5 kg). The surprise has been how well the suspension system works and how cool my back stays.
Big Agnes insulated Air Core mat. I was skeptical about this pad's stated insulation value of 15 F / -8 C. Having now used it atop Mt. Mitchell NC on a very cold night, I am convinced. I also was impressed with how well the 2.5 inch / 6.35 cm mattress worked to keep my tender leg / hip comfy. I accidentally got one of my offset canes under the mattress and didn’t realize it! I slept like a baby on that pad. Best $65 us / 24 ozs carry weight in my pack.

kyhipo
05-04-2006, 09:03
after going thru the many phases like most,I want my tent at all times plenty of lighters ,matches always a pain,and warm clothes,I used a wool sweater while out on the pct and loved it,also I 2nd pair of shoes,sandles ect just in case.ky

peter_pan
05-04-2006, 09:22
Comfort of Hammocks....:)

Luxury and warmth of quilts and under quilts....;)

Weekend hikes in day packs....:D

Pan

Spock
05-04-2006, 15:45
* Silnylon and other super lightweight materials for packs, shelter, durn near everything. No more polyurethane turning into a sticky mess that smells like dog vomit.
* LED lights. Wow! Hours and hours of light and no bulbs to worry about.
* Digital cameras. No more film! Pentax W and credit card sized midget - can't make up my mind which to carry.
* Lithium batteries.
* Nike Free 5.0 Trail - finally, a comfortable lightweight shoe.
* Packs without frames or hipbelts. Got brainwashed and stayed that way for 30 years. Got sane. No more stinkin' hipbelt.

Old stuff I still prefer:
* Down - even for canoe trips.
* Marine duck for packs.
* Navigating with map and compass.

trlhiker
05-08-2006, 20:56
1. LED head light
2. Capilene underware
3. Fleece jacket
4 Sweetwater Water filter

UnkaJesse
05-23-2006, 13:58
I'll have to second the Capilene. We call it Pata-Gucci in GA. I thought it was just sales hype.

I was hooked while hiking in 15 degree weather in a lightweight top & pants only. I realized how well it wicks when the sweat froze on my chest and I stayed dry. I looked like a silver-back gorilla.

Now I wear the stuff for all sorts of activities. Mountain biking, hiking, fly fishing, and even winter tennis.

Nightwalker
05-24-2006, 01:38
...plenty of lighters...
That's my weakness. 1 cheap adjustable in my pocket, and 2 Baby Bics, all in seperate places. I should probably go down to 2, but it's a security-blanket thing for me.

:)

rswanson
05-24-2006, 13:20
Dropstoppers Micropore rain suit by Kappler. When I first unpacked it, my wife said, "Looks like hospital garments." After a few dozen dry, non-sweaty miles through a downpour in 70 degree temps, we both agreed it was about the best $15 we'd ever spent on gear. Not the most durable things in the world but for $15 bucks and some extra duct tape for repairs, who cares? I actually have yet to damage the suit since my miles are mostly on the trail. Oh, and did I mention 10 ounces for the whole suit?

JoeHiker
05-24-2006, 14:40
Integral Designs eVENT jacket. Man is that thing breathable

Hennessey Hammock. Free from Shelters and the ground

OES MacCat Tarp -- Toughest, best designed lightweight tarp I've ever seen