PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone?

dhagan
11-04-2022, 14:08
It's been a long time since there was a new post on here. Ya'll ok? It took me 2 years to recover enough from covid to get out there. Nothing special, just the cave creek loop. Man...was it good to get back out there!

Slugg
11-04-2022, 15:59
Hey there..all good here :)

Couple weekends ago I day hiked the Mountaintown Creek Trail up near the northern terminus which shares a treadway with the Pinhoti for about 2/3rds of its length.

wyclif
11-04-2022, 16:45
This is why I posted earlier today. I visited Whiteblaze for the first time in a long time and realized it's become a ghost town, so I posted hoping to provide some momentum.

I dunno, it seems like Whiteblaze has become an artifact of the early internet. I'm guessing FarOut has become the main AT online forum now.

wyclif
11-04-2022, 16:47
Not the AT, but here's my latest hike...in the Philippines!

http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008/02/mt-kanlaon-wasay-guintubdan-trails-2435.html

HankIV
11-04-2022, 21:19
Most folks still here on earth

dhagan
11-10-2022, 15:18
Not the AT, but here's my latest hike...in the Philippines!

http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008/02/mt-kanlaon-wasay-guintubdan-trails-2435.html

Wow! That looks amazing!

zelph
11-10-2022, 20:49
It's amazing how COVID has changed the world. It has devastated the backpacking world.....:-(

Deadeye
11-10-2022, 21:14
It's amazing how COVID has changed the world. It has devastated the backpacking world.....:-(

Really!? The trails have been super busy around here.

JNI64
11-10-2022, 21:53

The only devastating factor I see is that's what everyone has turned to since everything else was closed. The trail head parking lots were so full you couldn't even go hiking.

JNI64
11-11-2022, 01:59
It's been a long time since there was a new post on here. Ya'll ok? It took me 2 years to recover enough from covid to get out there. Nothing special, just the cave creek loop. Man...was it good to get back out there!

You was recovering from covid for 2 years?
Getting out there meaning the woods away from people should have been the safest option, yes?

Traveler
11-11-2022, 08:33
Like many things, participation in forums like this have an ebb and flow. Usually a great deal of participation here as we get close to xmas and the NOBO "start up", gets quiet again around June or so. Some years its a minor difference, some years a visible one.

Old_Man
11-11-2022, 11:55
I think its equal parts hikers having more online options nowadays and it being the "off season" for AT hiking.

bamadog
11-11-2022, 14:51
Glad you are back out there! I just finished the Georgia Loop.Very challenging hike. Always good to be back in the back country!

zelph
11-11-2022, 17:41
This is why I posted earlier today. I visited Whiteblaze for the first time in a long time and realized it's become a ghost town, so I posted hoping to provide some momentum.

I dunno, it seems like Whiteblaze has become an artifact of the early internet. I'm guessing FarOut has become the main AT online forum now.

FarOut has alot of info on their home page. Today was my first visit there.

HankIV
11-13-2022, 17:09
. The trail head parking lots were so full you couldn't even go hiking

Ummmm….Yogi?

Montana Mac
11-13-2022, 20:15
Haven't been on this forum or done any hiking in years due to back injury then getting out of shape, but two weeks ago hit the AT for 2 nights from Dalton down to Lee. It was great to get back out there but really found out that my "trail legs" need to be reestablished.

Starting to put together a plan (logistics of the hike & getting into hiking shape) to do the Foothills Trail in 2023

Astro
11-14-2022, 03:02
Haven't been on this forum or done any hiking in years due to back injury then getting out of shape, but two weeks ago hit the AT for 2 nights from Dalton down to Lee. It was great to get back out there but really found out that my "trail legs" need to be reestablished.

Starting to put together a plan (logistics of the hike & getting into hiking shape) to do the Foothills Trail in 2023

Hiked Foothills Trail in May. Great trail to start back with. Well maintained, waterfalls. And lots of bridges so you don't have to ford. Plenty of water and campsites.

OwenM
11-14-2022, 23:13
I did the Cave Creek Loop a couple of weeks ago. It and the South Cheaha/Skyway Loop are favorites for last minute quickies when I have no plan and am pressed for time, so I usually end up doing both of them a couple times per year.

Really!? The trails have been super busy around here.
Well that's what "devastated" means to some of us!

dhagan
11-15-2022, 16:14
Getting out there meaning the woods away from people should have been the safest option, yes?

I had it really bad. 8 days in the hospital. Lung damage. Fatigue. No desire to do anything. Gained a ton of weight. I finally decided to get off my ass... lose some weight and start slow. So I lost 53 lbs and started hitting the gym, stairstepper and treadmill. I did the 9/11 stairstepper challenge and said I was ready. But...Football games and tailgating started. Can't let my peeps down. I'm good to go now!

I agree that the woods would have been the safest option, but my job as a school resource officer, put me in close contact with the germ bombs.

JNI64
11-16-2022, 00:58
I had it really bad. 8 days in the hospital. Lung damage. Fatigue. No desire to do anything. Gained a ton of weight. I finally decided to get off my ass... lose some weight and start slow. So I lost 53 lbs and started hitting the gym, stairstepper and treadmill. I did the 9/11 stairstepper challenge and said I was ready. But...Football games and tailgating started. Can't let my peeps down. I'm good to go now!

I agree that the woods would have been the safest option, but my job as a school resource officer, put me in close contact with the germ bombs.

Wow, that really sucks! The lungs can repair themselves I believe am I right? I glad you got off your ass and lost all that weight and now hitting the gym , good for you much respect!
I work as a plumber for a major school system as well and right before covid I went 2nd shift 2-10 so that got me out of alot of germ bombs .

JNI64
11-16-2022, 01:00
How many steps was the 9/11 challenge?

dhagan
01-24-2023, 13:35

Spent 8 days in the hospital...really close to going on a vent. Bad pneumonia. My normal o2 became 94 on a good day. Couldn't walk 100 yards without resting. Lost a ton of muscle mass. Long haul covid. I did not like the sound of that.

So...started a diet and exercise plan back in June. 53lbs down. o2 back to 98 99. Running. Stair stepping. Lifting.

Ready to go, now!

HankIV
01-25-2023, 00:49
Hell yeah. No tomorrow is promised! Go!

Traveler
01-25-2023, 10:14
Glad to see you were able to survive this very serious illness! Long term effects of Covid can be very difficult to get past, "Long Haulers" have reported a variety of problems with heart, lungs, brain, and auto-immune issues that last for very long periods of time, some people have long haul symptoms that last for many years.

I cannot imagine how you were able to get out even on a limited basis to hike, though I suspect that drive proved to be invaluable as a motivation. Good job!

JNI64
01-25-2023, 11:07
That's awesome good for ya!! I have found keeping a good workout schedule to be very valuable as I age and eating healthy for the most part. Kinda like the fountain of youth, right? Now go get em tiger:)

slammer
12-29-2023, 12:11
My last hike was 2019, came home to new stories about some "Chinese virus". It was a good hike though. Since then a lot has happened, I won't bore you with details but two things of note. I need to get back into shape and hiking is hard. two, I moved 30 minutes closer to the Pinoti so It's time to get back at it.

Mother Natures Son
12-30-2023, 09:02
Same here. Hiking parking lot are full. Waiting will bring more hikers out. Watch, you'll see. Happy New Year.

TOW
12-30-2023, 14:50
I need to get my broken feet back on the trail. I have never hiked the whole AT yet. I lived on it between 2000-03 while hiking back and forth and "yellow blazing" until I rode into Maine and then hiked 1/2 of the 100 mile wilderness. After Maine, I headed south hiking the same way.