PDA

View Full Version : Bear bag/food bag question

roamin'
04-04-2006, 10:11
I have been using thermarest sacks (long cylinder like sack) To put my food in and I lash one on each side of my pack. I do this because I have a small pack of about 2500ci (Marmot eiger 36). I basically can fit all my essentials inside the pack with no problems with my tent lashed to the back of the pack. My pack weight is usually between about 23-26lbs on a 3 day trip.
But my real question is with my food bag. I always string up the thermarest sacks under a tree about 12-15 ft up. I have never had to worry about bears until now. on 4/13 I am hiking the approach trail to neels gap and have read on the occasional bear that raids people's food.
Are my sacks ok to use? Or do I need a "bear bag"? Does the bear bag somewhat contain the scent of it's contents? Any pros/cons.
Never been on the A.T before.
Roamin'

Footslogger
04-04-2006, 10:15
Well first off I'll tell you that not everyone hangs their food ...and you'll probably get several posts to that effect.

That said, I do hang my food and I use a regular silnylon stuff sack and have yet to lose my food. I feel pretty certain that if your food bag (whatever the construction) is secure and at least 12' off the ground you're probably OK as far as bears are concerned. Just choose your tree branch carefully though because sometimes a bigger concern is the chipmonk (mini-bear) population along the trail.

'Slogger

roamin'
04-04-2006, 11:34
Crazy chipmunks to worry about too? Dang.
So I guess I am ok with my original set up then.
Just curious. Do the bear bags contain the scent of its contents?

Perkolady
04-04-2006, 11:40
roamin',
You really don't need a "bear bag"-

There are bear poles (contraptions to hang your food up on) at the shelter areas in this section. They are usually a reliable way to hang your food (although there have been a couple exceptions)

If you hang from a tree limb, just make sure it's high enough off the ground AND far enough away from the tree trunk to be out of reach. I would also recommend that you tie off on a different tree than you hang from, if possible.

Chipmunks and even mice can still get to your bag, but I've found that using a slippery silnylon bag, hung upside down seems to help!

Enjoy your hike,
Perkolady

roamin'
04-04-2006, 11:57
Thanks for the info!

The Cheat
04-04-2006, 13:31
I have been using thermarest sacks (long cylinder like sack) To put my food in and I lash one on each side of my pack. I do this because I have a small pack of about 2500ci (Marmot eiger 36). I basically can fit all my essentials inside the pack with no problems with my tent lashed to the back of the pack. My pack weight is usually between about 23-26lbs on a 3 day trip.
But my real question is with my food bag. I always string up the thermarest sacks under a tree about 12-15 ft up. I have never had to worry about bears until now. on 4/13 I am hiking the approach trail to neels gap and have read on the occasional bear that raids people's food.
Are my sacks ok to use? Or do I need a "bear bag"? Does the bear bag somewhat contain the scent of it's contents? Any pros/cons.
Never been on the A.T before.
Roamin'

A "bear bag" is what "the bag you put food in and hang" is called. It isn't a special construction or anything. So, in your case the thermarest sacks can be bear bags. Or you can use the phrase "bear bag" as a verb. So, when you hang those thermarest bags in the tree you are "bear bagging", or you can say "I bear bag."

I suppose if you shot a bear you'd be "bagging a bear" but that's a completely different story. :sun

roamin'
04-04-2006, 13:49
A "bear bag" is what "the bag you put food in and hang" is called. It isn't a special construction or anything. So, in your case the thermarest sacks can be bear bags. Or you can use the phrase "bear bag" as a verb. So, when you hang those thermarest bags in the tree you are "bear bagging", or you can say "I bear bag."

I suppose if you shot a bear you'd be "bagging a bear" but that's a completely different story. :sun

Good logic behind the name of the bag.
And "bagging the bear" makes sense too!

canoehead
04-04-2006, 14:56
i agree with footslogger

silnylon ( sea to summit, brand ) are excellent for bear beags. waterproof, ultra-lite, I use them for organizing my backpack, kayak.whatever you want dry......i've also heard that the mini-bear was sometimes referd to as a rock lion?

Tim

saimyoji
04-04-2006, 15:07
There was a thread not long ago with a link to some bullet/bear proof fabric....

..here it is:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9283&highlight=bear+bag

Hana_Hanger
04-04-2006, 15:14
If you need a ultra light bear bag system that is odor proof
BackpackingLight sell them..pricey at $60
UrsaLite 2 ounce system comes complete with everything you need.
As suggested though it appears more NEEDED on the PCT then on the AT