PDA

View Full Version : Alpaca Alll Things

Gambit McCrae
01-12-2023, 11:13
Have not seen any discussion on Alpaca products and specs....

Good Brands?
Insulation vs Wool?
Durability?
Alpaca vs Opossum down?

One Half
01-12-2023, 16:24
I have an Appalachian Gear Co alpaca hoody. LOVE IT. Super warm. I can see leaving my puffy behind for many of my trips as I don't really hike in "winter." I can also see myself being much more comfortable when hit by unexpectedly cold temps. Truth is I will probably continue to carry both for a while more. Both have their pluses.

RockDoc
01-17-2023, 00:49
I bought a few beautiful alpaca sweaters in the markets in La Paz Bolivia some years ago (for a song). Loved them but they did smell like a wild animal, and shrunk down to child's size when my wife decided to wash them. But what great colors and patterns, and nice and warm!

Slugg
01-17-2023, 21:52
I own something like 5 beanies of various materials and my alpaca one is the warmest one I own. I’ve never washed it and notice no smell. Great gift from my brother on a trip he took to Nepal.

Night Train
01-18-2023, 14:00
Piqued my curiosity as well, I have never used any alpaca wool products for hiking but I do wear an alpaca/merino/poly beanie when archery hunting. It is comfortable and warm but I don't find it any better or worse than my other wool or wool blend beanies. However, we (my wife) have several small alpaca blankets and I find them to be surprisingly warm given how light weight they are. I might try one of those blankets this summer instead of a quilt, I think it's worth exploring.

Mockernut
01-19-2023, 12:27
I also have an App Gear Co hoody and recently bought one of the long sleeve tees from them. the t-shirt is 80/20 merino / tencel and I love it.

Gambit McCrae
01-19-2023, 17:33
So....I bit the bullet and got 2 pairs of paka socks (https://www.pakaapparel.com/) and today was my first trial (only at work not on trail) but I love these socks already. Thinner and softer than my SW PhD socks, seem to be equally or more warm. Concerned with durability. cost was $20/ pair...typical of high quality socks

Hillbillyhanger
01-20-2023, 17:13
For those people that have the Appalachian Gear Alpacca hoodie, what have you experienced with respect to durability. I have one and really like the fit, feel, and function. I have not worn it for hiking with a backpack due to my initial concerns about wear from the straps, etc. What has been your experiences with it's durability on the trail?

Mockernut
01-21-2023, 22:55
I wear mine at camp and at breaks so haven't worn it under a pack.