PDA

View Full Version : Idea (Delurking)

dieck
04-04-2006, 14:33
Hi,

I've been lurking here for some time soaking up info. I'm an avid hammock camper. I own two hennessey's and two open top hammocks (and no tents).

So far I've made it without any of the under, over, or cacoon insulation options and making due with the standard rain fly and camping pad.

Before I started using the camping pad I would get quite cold at night if it got anywhere near freezing due to the sleeping bag compressing under me. Now with the pad it's comfortable with a good sleeping bag down to about 45deg F.

So here's my idea. I'm wondering if there are practical reasons it would not work.

Hammock with three layers outer two removable.
Layer 1, inside, hennesey type hammock with velcro removable bug netting and detachable ridgeline. Bottom entry
Layer 2 middle insulating cacoon (peapod) that could be used as an undercover with the ridgeline and netting up or asa cacoon with the ridgeline and netting down.
Layer 3 Bivy - A bivy cacoon that could wrap the whole thing made out of the latest water impervious but breathable light weight material.Could cover just the bottom of the hammock when dry weather but be swung over the ridgeline while in the hammock in case of rain.

Thoughts?

Hana_Hanger
04-04-2006, 15:36
Aloha and Welcome dierk
I was a lurker for a long time also :P

Not so sure I understand all that you suggested..but sounds like you are doing great to me.
I know someone will come along and answer this with plenty of detailed instructions soon. :)

Hana_Hanger
04-04-2006, 15:37
oops so sorry I will repeat myself

ALOHA and Welcome dieck

Just Jeff
04-04-2006, 17:18
Sounds like a plan. Why would you want bottom entry if the bugnet is removable, though? And how would the bottom entry work with the cocoon and bivy?

neo
04-05-2006, 09:21
Hi,

I've been lurking here for some time soaking up info. I'm an avid hammock camper. I own two hennessey's and two open top hammocks (and no tents).

So far I've made it without any of the under, over, or cacoon insulation options and making due with the standard rain fly and camping pad.

Before I started using the camping pad I would get quite cold at night if it got anywhere near freezing due to the sleeping bag compressing under me. Now with the pad it's comfortable with a good sleeping bag down to about 45deg F.

So here's my idea. I'm wondering if there are practical reasons it would not work.

Hammock with three layers outer two removable.
Layer 1, inside, hennesey type hammock with velcro removable bug netting and detachable ridgeline. Bottom entry
Layer 2 middle insulating cacoon (peapod) that could be used as an undercover with the ridgeline and netting up or asa cacoon with the ridgeline and netting down.
Layer 3 Bivy - A bivy cacoon that could wrap the whole thing made out of the latest water impervious but breathable light weight material.Could cover just the bottom of the hammock when dry weather but be swung over the ridgeline while in the hammock in case of rain.

Thoughts?
:D glad you came out of the closet lol,welcome to the whiteblaze hammock hanging crowd:cool: neo