PDA

View Full Version : Quick suggestions needed for hiking locations!

sleepwalker
04-04-2006, 14:55
With all the nice weather last week, I thought for sure that winter was over but I guess not. I have a week to hike in between jobs starting today(tuesday)and I was supposed to hike the Devil's Path in the Catskills. Well from what I understand, the snow is coming down there pretty heavy so I guess that's out.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go TOMORROW and start a 3 or 4 day hike? Preferably south of NY and north of VA. I don't mind a little snow but I don't want to trudge through six inches. And I'd also like a challenging hike with lots of elevation change. Also shelters/lean-to's would be preferable. I'm thinking the AT in PA or MD but it doesn't look too challenging(elevation wise) and I'm not sure where to get on/off. I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!

longshank
04-04-2006, 22:25
With all the nice weather last week, I thought for sure that winter was over but I guess not. I have a week to hike in between jobs starting today(tuesday)and I was supposed to hike the Devil's Path in the Catskills. Well from what I understand, the snow is coming down there pretty heavy so I guess that's out.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go TOMORROW and start a 3 or 4 day hike? Preferably south of NY and north of VA. I don't mind a little snow but I don't want to trudge through six inches. And I'd also like a challenging hike with lots of elevation change. Also shelters/lean-to's would be preferable. I'm thinking the AT in PA or MD but it doesn't look too challenging(elevation wise) and I'm not sure where to get on/off. I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!
Why don't you do the section from the pawling NY AT train station and go north into CT...once you pass ten mile river and Kent, the hike gets to be a little stiff with some fun scrambling...Also, I think that by tomorrow the snow won't be so bad until you get above 3500 feet, and even then when it's warm out it can be fun and challenging. No lean-to's on the Devil's path, though...I'd say give it a try.