PDA

View Full Version : A candle In The Tent

Gambit McCrae
01-30-2023, 11:47
I have started experimenting with a candle in my tent in the evenings and mornings. Anyone else worked with this?

The intent is 2 fold for me:

Evening Use: Mainly ambiance really, I would rather have a candlelight in my tent than to deal with a campfire.

Morning Use: Mainly to attempt to reduce or eliminate the condensation gathered from the night but on cold mornings to maybe knock the chill out of the tent for packup

Iterations thus far:

Trial 1: Tea candle in a cat food can.
Results:

Ambiance there
lightweight
No physical effects

Trial 2: Tin can candle, small wick

Ambiance there
Less lightweight
Possible physical effects?

Trial 3(Not Started): Larger Wick?

Trial 4(Not Started): IsoB Lantern

alborg2
01-30-2023, 12:25
Decades ago we used this style of candle lantern: https://www.rei.com/product/206556/uco-original-candle-lantern-kit-2
They worked OK, but eventually the melted wax gummed up the sliding action of the spring mechanism. Today I wouldn't want anything with an open/exposed flame in my tent.

flatcatgear
01-30-2023, 12:31
Ambiance fine. WRT condensation, a candle puts out about 25 watts of power so unlikely to help out in that issue. Spillage and potential fire are the big negatives that need to be managed. My 2 cents.

TJ aka Teej
01-30-2023, 13:44
I've had a candle lantern since the 70s. Still bring it car camping. Would never use it inside a tent.

Tipi Walter
01-30-2023, 13:44
I've been using candles in the tent for many years but only in winter to keep the fingers thawed and to add a little heat inside. An open flame is safe if you use common sense and pinch off the flame with wet fingers instead of blowing it out (loose embers).

I've found the best candles to be Shabbat candles with a burn time of about 3 hours---available at most grocery stores.

A candle can be bottom melted and placed in an empty Blistex container for a stand---

My setup.

These candles are great but sometimes you run into manufacturing defects like a double wick.

Tipi Walter
01-30-2023, 13:48
Other pics---

A little nub glues easily to a piece of paper for final burn---snuff out before finishing.

Keeping a journal at 10F is easier with a warming flame to keep fingers thawed.

fudgefoot
01-30-2023, 13:57
While folks might think candles can be used in tents safely, the potential for fire is certainly not zero. You could easily fall asleep, knock the candle over, etc. Why take an unnecessary risk when there are plenty of safe electronic options available?

CalebJ
01-30-2023, 14:25
While folks might think candles can be used in tents safely, the potential for fire is certainly not zero. You could easily fall asleep, knock the candle over, etc. Why take an unnecessary risk when there are plenty of safe electronic options available?

Because the electronic options neither heat the tent nor reduce humidity.

Yes, there is some risk. But used cautiously, candles do have a place.

Kittyslayer
01-30-2023, 14:44
Yes, there is some risk. But used cautiously, candles do have a place.

Well a fire extinguisher is a bit heavy to carry but have an escape plan. If in a floored tent have a sharp knife to allow you to escape your tent if it catches on fire. You do not want to be messing with a zipper. Zippers are fussy enough sometimes, more so when on fire too. Although I would imagine a lightweight tent is going to burn pretty fast. These are my untested thoughts.

When I saw your post title a Palmer Furnace immediately popped into my mind.

gpburdelljr
01-30-2023, 14:53
A tent can completely burn in 60 seconds. An open flame in a tent is not worth the risk.

Leo L.
01-30-2023, 16:05
I've learned about the candle-in-a-tent trick to warm it up a bit, ages ago while at the Boy Scouts (but, we didn't use it then).
Some 30yrs ago when I did some winter hiking&overnighting with a girlfriend, I tried to provide some special feature by burning a candle in the tent.
Within seconds, the candle was burning through the tent (luckily it was only one decent hole in the inner, no damage to the fly).
This was the first and last time I'd use a candle in the tent, or around tents at all.
Similar with water bottles - all my waterbottles strictly stay outside the tent.

Slo-go'en
01-30-2023, 19:35
I also have a candle lantern which is safe to use in a tent. Open flame, no way no matter how careful. It also makes for a nice imitation campfire when one is not allowed. I typically use it in the fall when it gets dark early, but I'm not nearly ready to go to sleep.

An alternative to a real candle lantern would be a tin can with the side cut open a bit. Use a can opener which allows putting the top back on to open the can.

hobby
01-30-2023, 20:04
I also used the candle lantern in my tent. (still have a couple somewhere in gear box) I would hang the lantern about a foot below the top of the tent so that the rising heat would not burn the top of the tent (netting). It provided some light and warmed the tent a little (10 degrees?). Have not used them in years --hammock now-but might if tenting in cold weather. Its too heavy to carry all the time though!

Lone Wolf
01-30-2023, 20:28
I have started experimenting with a candle in my tent in the evenings and mornings. Anyone else worked with this?

that's all i used for 16,000+ miles on the AT. i put a candle lantern candle on an upside down sierra cup. don't need no stinkin' fancy headlamp :D

RangerZ
01-30-2023, 21:44
I've learned about the candle-in-a-tent trick to warm it up a bit, ages ago while at the Boy Scouts (but, we didn't use it then).
Some 30yrs ago when I did some winter hiking&overnighting with a girlfriend, I tried to provide some special feature by burning a candle in the tent.
Within seconds, the candle was burning through the tent (luckily it was only one decent hole in the inner, no damage to the fly).
This was the first and last time I'd use a candle in the tent, or around tents at all.
Similar with water bottles - all my waterbottles strictly stay outside the tent.

+1. My water bags and alcohol fuel bottle stay outside at the foot of the tent.

Paleolith54
01-30-2023, 23:18
My experience: I've used two different UCO candle lanterns for the reasons you describe. I've come to the conclusion that, for me, they aren't worth the additional weight even though it is quite small. Having said that, my opinion is that you'd need to be extraordinarily clumsy to somehow knock one of them down: get the flame to somehow escape the glass enclosure; and ignite anything. I've even heard people worry about burning up all the oxygen in their tent and suffocating. I've had one of the 10-hour ones burning all night long, and if I thought it was worth the weight would do so again with no safety qualms. I wouldn't count on any appreciable added warmth or help with condensation, but in terms of cheer or atmosphere: I'd say give it a try and just exercise the bare minimum of caution.

SoaknWet
01-31-2023, 06:32
A little common sense goes a long way! I've been using candles in my tents for years, make sure its secure and can not fall over. Never sleep while the candle is burning and if your tent is crowded with just you and your gear theres no room for a lit candle.

Traveler
01-31-2023, 09:03
I am not a fan of open flame in a man-made fabric environment that would describe most tents used today. Watching videos of tents burning is frightening to see how quickly the fabric burns in all directions at once, shredding into globs of burning nylon following contact with an open flame. Additionally one can easily see if the tent does start on fire, closed up with the owner in it, the integrated structural integrity of the tent fabric (needed to put tension on and work zippers) quickly fails and burns away so tent zippers may not work and guy lines will quickly burn through to collapse the tent, wrapping the occupant in burning fabric that cannot be removed or extinguished easily.

While some people have used candles for years in tents without incident, others have died as a quick look into the internet illustrates, like this news story https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/12/17/person-who-died-in-north-portland-tent-fire-was-using-candle-for-warmth/. I cannot imagine the terror and pain of death inside a tent from flying bits of flaming nylon as one gets wrapped in burning fabric. I have seen a lot of people use candles rather irresponsibly in tents over the years, many who do this routinely have a story or two about scoching the tent or gear, or a dramatic narrow escape.

Knowing the dangers is important for anyone who brings open flame into a tent to do so in a way to mitigate some of the dangers, though there really is no "safe" flame inside a tent. The risk of failure is moderate to high, the consequences of failure is life threatening to fatal. While the occupant may survive the fire itself, it likely will damage or destroy necessary gear like boots, clothing, and packs which puts the camper at risk of exposure unless help can be reached quickly.

garlic08
01-31-2023, 09:17
I'm a retired firefighter. I don't even have candles in the house.

Mockernut
01-31-2023, 09:37
I love UCO lantern in a shelter, especially when I am alone. also nice on a tree limb at camp, just for effect. I don't use it in a tent though...I'm too worried about my precious Silnylon.

SoaknWet
01-31-2023, 10:06
I guess my wood burning stoves in my hot tents is a no-no.

JNI64
01-31-2023, 10:38
When I was young and dumb and full of rum (151) I received 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 80% of my face ( flaming shots)
Thank God no scars.
I have used a tea candle in my cat stove inside the tent and probably will again someday in the future. But I've never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed .

JNI64
01-31-2023, 10:45
But I am sharp enough to have never ever done another flaming shot of alcohol that's for sure!!

JPritch
01-31-2023, 11:14
I use these led string lights. Weigh maybe an oz, and I'm still on the first one with good battery left after several hikes. I either string it up on the ceiling of the tent, or just lay it next to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TEEKOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Gambit McCrae
01-31-2023, 11:20
My dad was a firefighter as well....No candles allowed lol

Alligator
01-31-2023, 11:21
I still have my UCO candle lantern. Extremely rare to bring it with modern headlamps but it is nice to have in the winter. It was always nice to have while playing cards.

If you've ever made candles, you'd know that adding stearin hardens the candles and makes them burn longer. I used to save short candles for the lantern. I wouldn't say it is completely safe but the lantern had a globe and the candle is well housed. The lantern does weigh at least 6 oz. If you wanted a little ambience but were concerned about the flames you could try these tea lights (https://www.amazon.com/Brigle-Battery-Powered-Flameless-Decoration-Christmas/dp/B09LCHJD9S/ref=asc_df_B09LCHJD9S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563717045018&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18023303018743431859&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008963&hvtargid=pla-1659968389637&region_id=674469&th=1).

I wouldn't light a candle lantern in the morning...brain fog. I've found that it helps to wear gloves when packing up the tent to avoid that icy chill that heads up the veins in my arms.

Funkmeister
01-31-2023, 11:31
Long ago I used the hanging candles referenced above in the wintertime for both light and warmth. With two people in a small light tent (like a Eureka Timberline 2 or a TNF Westwind) I'd bet that in still air the inside temp would rise about 5F or so. Never had an issue with melting, just kept the holder halfway between the ceiling and the floor on a light string. In summer it wasn't worth the weight, so I just used a lightweight AA Mag Lite without the reflector. How times change.

To this day I may use the candle lantern while in the company of a date. Even in warmer months. But flashlight technology makes candles not much more than nostalgic or romantic.

Earlier someone mentioned a propane or butane lantern. I can think of no case where using one of those are worth the weight compared to battery powered illumination. Though I still have my well-used Gaz one somewhere in the garage.

Toolshed
01-31-2023, 13:39
Been using a candle lantern since the 80'sAdds a few degrees in the winter as well as ambiance. The brand I used was UCO. Agree with everyone else, the wax tends to bind up over time and cause the sprng action to not work - just takes a little cleaning and scratchiing away at buildup. I wouldn't trust an open flame in a tent. Too many opportunities to bump it over.

HooKooDooKu
01-31-2023, 14:24
I love UCO lantern in a shelter, especially when I am alone. also nice on a tree limb at camp, just for effect. I don't use it in a tent though...I'm too worried about my precious Silnylon.
I've heard the light can cut down on mouse activity and so I too like to bring my UCO lantern when I'm staying in a shelter. I've got a string attached to it and hang it from the rafters out of the way.

petedelisio
01-31-2023, 17:51
If you use a thick canvas tent it is much safer. A properly designed one, tipi style and some may consider building a fire inside.... But of course with some inherent risk. But you don't want to build a fire, so the later is a mute point.

petedelisio
01-31-2023, 18:00
Am interested in other habitual candle user replys. Ditched the candle lantern on first ldh. But often consider carrying an emergency candle... very multi use.

gpburdelljr
01-31-2023, 19:44
I've heard the light can cut down on mouse activity and so I too like to bring my UCO lantern when I'm staying in a shelter. I've got a string attached to it and hang it from the rafters out of the way.

What do other hikers in the shelter think about a candle burning all night?

Paleolith54
01-31-2023, 23:56

It wouldn't bother me, they really don't put out much light and what's there is quite soft. But I don't stay in shelters any more.

JNI64
02-01-2023, 00:04

Wouldn't bother me one bit either.

JNI64
02-01-2023, 00:07
It would make a little light to show me how to get out in the middle of the night and not step on anybody, when I have to pee!

petedelisio
02-01-2023, 02:38

Too many variables with placement, but on average seems in moist clime , most or many at least,wouldn't consider much different than fires or beds of red hot coals
Next to or inside the shelter.
Hikers often are drawn to shelters like moths to a shelter fire, and more than one occasion I've seen fire fighter buddy groups (with cutting tools) start the warmth giving goodness. And believe it or not, the first time one used a candle to start the fire expediently. Helping a few of us on the brink of hypothermia.

Mikerfixit
02-01-2023, 10:07
Back in the day...we use to waterproof our canvas tents with wax dissolved in kerosene and then sprayed onto the canvas. No candles or flames inside or near the tents ever.

petedelisio
02-02-2023, 01:13
Back in the day...we use to waterproof our canvas tents with wax dissolved in kerosene and then sprayed onto the canvas. No candles or flames inside or near the tents ever.

That's how we treated most of our canvas tipis in the 60's, except we added many flames inside.

Sarcasm the elf
02-02-2023, 13:02
I think the first consideration to start with is what type of tent and what material is it constructed from? Many older materials were treated with a fire resistant coating. However to my knowledge the silnylon used in many modern UL tents like my Tarptent can't be treated with fire resistant coating and are highly flammable. Not sure how Dyneema/Cuban fiber fares in this regard.

Sarcasm the elf
02-02-2023, 13:06

In a proper candle lantern they're just fine. However I'd yell at anyone I saw burning a bare candle in a shelter, as much because of the huge and long lasting mess that the melted wax makes as because of potential fire danger.

Mockernut
02-02-2023, 15:16
I have only used it in shelters when I was alone.

Slo-go'en
02-02-2023, 21:29
In a proper candle lantern they're just fine. However I'd yell at anyone I saw burning a bare candle in a shelter, as much because of the huge and long lasting mess that the melted wax makes as because of potential fire danger.

Back in the day before LED headlamps, every shelter was stocked with at least several wine bottle "candle holders." A must when hiking in the fall.

CalebJ
02-03-2023, 12:36
A tea light candle with something around it isn't likely to generate any wax or significant fire danger.

Sarcasm the elf
02-03-2023, 19:49
So does anyone else have this in their head after reading the thread title? :D49861

Sarcasm the elf
02-03-2023, 19:53
A tea light candle with something around it isn't likely to generate any wax or significant fire danger.
Agreed, I was more envisioning the mess made by taper candles used without proper holders. I've scraped a lot of wax off of shelter floors over the years thanks to them. Of course as the old truism goes you never notice the times people do things responsibly, it's only the irresponsible ones that stick in your mind. :datz

Miner
02-04-2023, 16:17
Back in the pre-LED flashlight/headlamps days, when all lights were incandescent, and thus quickly drained batteries, candles were a way of getting a long lasting light where you didn't need to carry a large bag of batteries on a long trip. I used the UCO candle Lantern (a brass version (https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Original-Collapsible-Lantern-Brass/dp/B000F6NNQC/ref=sr_1_10?crid=29E2QT01GTO59&keywords=uco+lantern&qid=1675545619&sprefix=uco+lanter%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-10)) as a light source frequently on trips (from around 1990 into the first half of the 2000's). I always cleaned it up after a trip, so never had any issues with buildup effecting the springs etc.

When used inside the tent, I usually hung it from the highest point of the tent (depending on tent height, I somethings used a string to hang it lower than the included chain allows. You certainly don't want to hang it right next to the tent fabric due to the heat generated). With it hanging, no way it was going to get knocked over, as even if you hit it, it just swings. Even bumping it over on the ground shouldn't do anything if you act quickly as it's enclosed in glass/metal with only some vents on top, so you can upright it up without harm other than maybe some wax on the inside of the glass. I have an optional reflector (https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Pac-Flat-Reflector-Original-Lantern/dp/B000GBLPDE/ref=sxin_24_ac_d_rm?ac_md=3-3-dWNvIGNhbmRsZSBsYW50ZXJuIGFjY2Vzc29yaWVz-ac_d_rm_rm_rm&content-id=amzn1.sym.b09913c7-88ee-4b06-b977-3fd4ebd29a25%3Aamzn1.sym.b09913c7-88ee-4b06-b977-3fd4ebd29a25&crid=29E2QT01GTO59&cv_ct_cx=uco+lantern&keywords=uco+lantern&pd_rd_i=B000GBLPDE&pd_rd_r=9e8c49e4-cc27-44be-8479-a61e15e25ff7&pd_rd_w=XnEtT&pd_rd_wg=mbYYC&pf_rd_p=b09913c7-88ee-4b06-b977-3fd4ebd29a25&pf_rd_r=PW28233SDGAF2C86SSTV&qid=1675545619&sprefix=uco+lanter%2Caps%2C155&sr=1-4-7d9bfb42-6e38-4445-b604-42cab39e191b) that dropped over the top that focused all the light downward where you had enough light to read under it.

Sleeping with a still burning flame source doesn't seem smart, if in an enclosed tent. You do need to consider ventilation vs burn time as it does burn a small amount of oxygen over time. I don't fall asleep very easily, even at home, so I'm not going to accidentally drop off in the tent with it still burning. In fact, I don't see how you could unintentionally drop off to sleep unless you are tempting fate by laying down and not doing anything to stimulate your mind except maybe listening to some music. In which case you should have already put it out. That said, if you are in a shelter, and you can put it somewhere safely, I don't see the harm, if you are alone. Other people may not appreciate it. I'm talking a candle latern. If using a candle, you have to consider a shelter mouse (or someone half asleep) bumping into it during the night.

I still have my candle lantern, but only use it car camping today due to the weight. It's not very heavy, but definitely weighs more than an 1 ounce LED based light you can get today. I have thought of taking it out in the winter, but since its usually cold, I typically go to bed quickly when it gets dark, to stay warm, so I don't think it would get much use. And if I want to read today, I can just use the Kindle App on my smartphone which is backlit and doesn't need an external light to see. It might be useful if you went with several people, but I mostly camp solo.

Edit: I just looked, and UCO now has a candle lantern that uses those tea light candles (UCO mini Candle Lantern (http://UCO Unisex's Mini Candle Lantern)). Only weighs 3.5 oz which is almost half the weight of my original lantern. This might be a slightly safer method of using tea lights when camping. They now also offer Citronella based candles (https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Lantern-3-5-Inch-Candles-Citronella/dp/B000MWC8ZG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1) for their original lanterns to help repel mosquitos. Where were these when I use to use my lantern in the spring in Yosemite? I may need to rethink carrying one.

petedelisio
02-04-2023, 22:07
Agreed, I was more envisioning the mess made by taper candles used without proper holders. I've scraped a lot of wax off of shelter floors over the years thanks to them. Of course as the old truism goes you never notice the times people do things responsibly, it's only the irresponsible ones that stick in your mind. :datz

For educational purposes
Im Wondering how you repurposed the; hopefully reused, or then recycled all the scraped candle wax.
Or did you just toss it in the fire pit for you know what..

petedelisio
02-06-2023, 11:12
Me and when would see others on a cpl of occasions would pile it in the corner of the shelter or set scraped wax by the fire pit for others.
Considered littering by a few.

Birthright
03-07-2023, 22:59
SAFEST METHOD: Centuries old. Time tested and proven. Use a little olive oil and a cotton wick. You can make this candle anywhere and use it everywhere. If it gets knocked over by accident the flame goes out. It does not keep burning. It puts off no harmful toxins in the air. It burns all night and into the morning. It provides good light and heat. It is still used in the middle east to light houses without electricity.

High-Milage Hiker
05-03-2023, 20:44

+1, it's probably like sticking a candle to the top of your head. You could do it, but it's probably not a good idea.