PDA

View Full Version : Bering Strait hiler Arrested in Russia

hammock engineer
04-04-2006, 15:00
Saw this on MSN. Hopefully it doesn't stop his hike.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12152629/

Tha Wookie
04-04-2006, 15:13
wow this story really is dramatic.

If he makes it he could spend the rest of his life writing books about it.

If he doesn't.....?

saimyoji
04-04-2006, 15:30
The article says they expected problems, knew something like this would happen; but they didn't set anything up to avoid this kind of situation. They do have a satphone and could have notified authorities of their intentions way ahead of time.

Poor guys. To walk all that way...maybe they could just call up their web site and pay the entry fee.

woodsy
04-04-2006, 15:33
Must be hard to keep up with all the #*! paperwork from one country to the next. Seems he spent a few days in the clink in columbia for the same reason. On the brighter side.... free cornmash or whatever.

Tha Wookie
04-04-2006, 15:58
The article says they expected problems, knew something like this would happen; but they didn't set anything up to avoid this kind of situation. They do have a satphone and could have notified authorities of their intentions way ahead of time.

Poor guys. To walk all that way...maybe they could just call up their web site and pay the entry fee.

read the story....

they had visas, but failed to check in in the three day limit. the story says they were picked up while walking to the town with the office.

Reminds me of sailing country to country. Sometimes you can't anchor where the customs office is, and it can be a pain to get there in time to avoid problems.

saimyoji
04-04-2006, 16:20
I did read the story. And it seems to me that they could have avoided problems by notifying authorities ahead of time. Just having a visa doesn't mean that the locals where they would enter the country knew they were coming. Certainly, when I get a visa to go to Thailand, the people in the airport aren't expecting me.

The point is that they could have done more.

Now my attitude towards these guys looks negative when it is nothing but supportive. I've been in similar situations as these guys, had the visa but the local thugs still wanted grease. As high profile as these two are, I'd expect they'll have little real trouble. Seems like they're used to it, after 8 years.

neighbor dave
04-04-2006, 16:34
hope it all turns out well for them.
i entered mexico from guatemala through the jungle once and had no problem in tenosique gittin' stamped back in the early 80's. i have been hassled at various border crossings but was allowed to pass without greasin' palms.

erichlf
04-04-2006, 16:40
Wasn't too intelligent of them not to discuss the crossing with the Russian Government before hand. I understand it is difficult to set these types of things with Russia, but if it means they will not be able to complete their goal, then it would have been worth the effort before hand. Although, even if things were setup something most likely would have occurred as they seem to, always.

jeepcj258
04-04-2006, 16:42
That is sad. i have been following them on their website and after all the crap they went through to cross the Bearing straight just to get lock up.

saimyoji
04-04-2006, 16:48
Wasn't too intelligent of them not to discuss the crossing with the Russian Government before hand. I understand it is difficult to set these types of things with Russia, but if it means they will not be able to complete their goal, then it would have been worth the effort before hand. Although, even if things were setup something most likely would have occurred as they seem to, always.

Yep, unfortunately:

"The best laid plans of mice and men...."

sdoownek
04-04-2006, 17:20
This isn't about prior planning, or notification, or visas, or border crossings. It's about some guy sitting in the middle of a Russian winter on a power trip trying to make a name for himself. I'll bet, when it's all said and done, that Power Trip Guy gets reamed. The media is a powerful, powerful PR tool. Right now, the Russians look like idiots, and when it becomes a bigger news story, as it will if he's detained for an unreasonable amount of time, they'll do anything within their power to maintain proper spin control.

You have to realize that the statements made by Bushby's father are political, not literal. To suggest that the Russians won't allow him to continue his walk after coming this far, only gives them the choice to allow him to continue. To say that he's "worried" about it, after the feat of walking 56 miles across an ice bridge, makes him look like-able, human, and totally in jeopardy of failing under rule of an iron fist that's beyond allowing for exception.

Just another reason to implement true independent transnationalism, if you ask me.

To suggest that Bushby, et al, didn't know this was going to happen and they should have done something different is no different than suggesting that *YOU* would have thrown rather than passed whilst standing around the water cooler on a Monday morning. You aren't there. You're not a football player, and you really don't know what it's like to be on the field.

erichlf
04-04-2006, 17:28
This isn't about prior planning, or notification, or visas, or border crossings. It's about some guy sitting in the middle of a Russian winter on a power trip trying to make a name for himself. I'll bet, when it's all said and done, that Power Trip Guy gets reamed. The media is a powerful, powerful PR tool. Right now, the Russians look like idiots, and when it becomes a bigger news story, as it will if he's detained for an unreasonable amount of time, they'll do anything within their power to maintain proper spin control.

You have to realize that the statements made by Bushby's father are political, not literal. To suggest that the Russians won't allow him to continue his walk after coming this far, only gives them the choice to allow him to continue. To say that he's "worried" about it, after the feat of walking 56 miles across an ice bridge, makes him look like-able, human, and totally in jeopardy of failing under rule of an iron fist that's beyond allowing for exception.

Just another reason to implement true independent transnationalism, if you ask me.

To suggest that Bushby, et al, didn't know this was going to happen and they should have done something different is no different than suggesting that *YOU* would have thrown rather than passed whilst standing around the water cooler on a Monday morning. You aren't there. You're not a football player, and you really don't know what it's like to be on the field.

lol, A little bitter are we.

sdoownek
04-04-2006, 17:30
lol, A little bitter are we.

......Huh?

RITBlake
04-04-2006, 17:56
It's about some guy sitting in the middle of a Russian winter on a power trip trying to make a name for himself.

Nice language, your days are numbered here at WB.

suggesting that *YOU* would have thrown rather than passed

Well I have played football and I never knew that passing and throwing were different options. I've always assumed they were the same thing, stupid me.

sdoownek
04-04-2006, 17:58
eh, oops...
You know what I meant though.

sdoownek
04-04-2006, 18:00
Nice language, your days are numbered here at WB.

alt-150, among others.

rickb
04-04-2006, 18:32
There are some who might suggest that non-citizen who enters this country without following legal proceedures should be arrested. Especially one who is carrying a pistol. Not that he would be :D

saimyoji
04-04-2006, 19:26
What you said:

To suggest that Bushby, et al, didn't know this was going to happen and they should have done something different is no different than suggesting that ...blah blah....political statements..blah....

What I said:

The article says they expected problems, knew something like this would happen...; As high profile as these two are, I'd expect they'll have little real trouble. Seems like they're used to it, after 8 years.So how exactly is it we disagree?

sdoownek
04-04-2006, 19:50
So how exactly is it we disagree?

Um, we don't? :confused:

Not everything that I say is flamebait. Very, very little of it is, actually.

bogey
04-04-2006, 20:16
Must be hard to keep up with all the #*! paperwork from one country to the next. Seems he spent a few days in the clink in columbia for the same reason. On the brighter side.... free cornmash or whatever.

I'm certainly no authority, but couldn't the reason be that they knew the Russian govt would deny them permission if they registered before arriving?

easier to beg forgiveness that ask permission.

Skidsteer
04-04-2006, 20:36

Of just about everyone but the Russian government, I suspect.:rolleyes:

erichlf
04-04-2006, 21:07
Well, obviosuly they had permission to enter the country since they had visas. What I was saying about planning ahead was to arange something so that they would either not have to register quite so early or have someone there to meet them.

woodsy
04-04-2006, 22:24
I'm certainly no authority, but couldn't the reason be that they knew the Russian govt would deny them permission if they registered before arriving?

Could very well be part of it...do what you have to do, pay consequences later. Seems these guys deserve a bit more respect than sdoownek has offered them. Don't knock em unless you've walked some thousands of miles in his boots or do you have any boots dog tag? (sdoownek).

sdoownek
04-04-2006, 22:27
Your response simply doesn't make sense. You seem to be arguing for me, with my points of logic, but then in the same sentence, call me an arse and suggest that I somehow don't respect their feat.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

woodsy
04-04-2006, 22:40

It seems i misunderstood . when you mentioned some guy siittingin the russian winter i thought you were referring to Bushby. Guess I'm the a#*!
hole. I re read and retract my statement directed toward you.

sdoownek
04-05-2006, 01:21
It seems i misunderstood . when you mentioned some guy siittingin the russian winter i thought you were referring to Bushby. Guess I'm the a#*!
hole. I re read and retract my statement directed toward you.

Oh, no problem whatsoever! I figured there was some manner of communication that was not working!

woodsy
04-05-2006, 07:36
Oh, no problem whatsoever! I figured there was some manner of communication that was not working!

sdoownek,
After reading some of the armchair quarterbacking going about what Karl should have and shouldn't have done, I was beginning to have a bit of inner communication breakdown. hohum. Glad some of us are on the same page with giving respect where respect is due. After all, The Berring Strait is no longer a land bridge...it's a floating and broken mass of ice.
Woodsy

erichlf
04-05-2006, 11:33
Just to be clear, the Guy is the man. I wish I was able to hike around the world. I was just venting my worries that he would be unable to finish due to some possible poor planning. I have actually been following his trek on his webpage. Man I wish I was doing that hike. All I need to do is find someone that will pay me to hike...

HIKER7s
04-06-2006, 13:36
Can someone please post the website here. I know I saw it in here somewhere before. I think he definitely is THE MAN, erichlf. What Bushby is doing in his travels is gathering many a hikers thoughts, prayers and envy. I am sure there are many of us who would at least love to have had PART of the hike he is doing. Hopefully he will accomplish his goal.

Hana_Hanger
04-06-2006, 19:09
Well to be fair about this ...Karl did attempt numerous times to get the permission and it went unanswered.
There is more infor on the Blog he and his Dad use verses his Journals on the main web site.
Latest update looks promising also
here is the link for the Blog site.

http://mediablog.mail2web.com/goliath.exp/blog/categories/list.html?id=127379

jeepcj258
04-07-2006, 09:59
It appears that they are going to have to spend some time and possibly go to court to resolve this. I hope that it works out well for them.

Panzer1
04-07-2006, 14:07
I saw an interesting program on TV the other day about a plan to build a 55 mile long, triple decker bridge across the Bering Strait. one of the decks will have only pipelines to carry gas/oil, the next level is for trains only and the top level for trucks and cars. The 2 lower levels will be covered, but the top level for trucks and cars will be open to the sky and weather and passable only part of the year. Estimated cost is over 100 Billion dollars and will take 10 years to build. Because of the weather, they can only build 4 months a year. The bridge may never be a financial success but that is not the point of joining USA to Russia. It is supposed to be symbolic or something like that.

Panzer